Home

2015 Yankees OSFM

This is a discussion on 2015 Yankees OSFM within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2015, 02:28 AM   #33
Rookie

jrock528's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2015 Yankees OSFM

Hey, Im new to the forum, but chimed in for the Yankees in last year's rendition. Last year, I really followed the Yanks minor league system and would like to offer some suggestions for the ratings you put on the google doc.

So ill give some examples to back a few ratings. Jake Cave is a tremendous hitter and fielder in the minors right now. I think his ceiling is a B+/A- and is definitely underrated. Check his stats out from last year and the levels he jumped. Bichette Jr had a crap year in 2013, but is improving. I think its unfair to have him in the C range. Hensley was a first round draft pick who had some setbacks cause of injury, but nonetheless performed well in the few outings and should be at around a B. Domingo German is a highly touted prospect from the Marlins trade and should also be really considered as a possible #2 or #1 in the future. You saw what Ramon Flores did this spring, he is at least a B- potential. Sulbaran and Barbato are other pitchers silently acquired by Cashman in trades who have a ton of promise. Lastly, Lindgren is extremely promising, you saw how far he has jumped. I think B+ is suitable as of now considering he is like the Kris Bryant of relief pitchers. If you have any questions about the other player ratings below, let me know. Also, I can help out with batting stances if you need once the game comes out on Tuesday. Thanks for all the work!

Mason Williams C+
Tyler Wade C+/B-
Miguel Sulbaran B-/B
Bichette Jr C+/B-
Ben Gamel C+
Taylor Dugas B-
Slade Heathcott C+
Ty Hensley B-/B
Jake Cave B/B+
Domingo German B
Ramon Flores B-/B
Ian Clarkin B
Andujar B-/B
Eric Jagielo B-
Tyler Austin B-/B
Jacob Lindgren B+/A-
Abiatal Avelino B
Johnny Barbato B/B+
Old 03-29-2015, 02:33 AM   #34
Rookie

jrock528's Arena

Oh I also forgot to mention my thoughts on the ratings for Severino, Bird and Judge. I think that each of these players can be a potential A player so hopefully the ratings assigned allow for that to be a possibility with good performance in Franchise. Jorge Mateo I think should also be rated so that an A is obtainable.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #35
MVP

ElroyJetson's Arena

OVR: 20

No doubt in my mind that Servino and Lidgren should be A potentials
Minnesota Vikings
JetLife
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #36
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

OVR: 9

Hey jrock, I really appreciate your thoughts on the matter. You definitely make some good points regarding the ceilings of those players.

The issue we run into is that the majority of prospects never reach their ceilings. Unfortunately, in The Show we have no way to assign any type of risk factor to a prospect to reflect that reality. Therefore our only option really is to give them a potential rating that is a (hopefully) realistic compromise between their ceiling, their floor, and where they'll likely end up between the two.

Also, there's a master spreadsheet out there with recommendations on potentials and ratings. I know the desire it that each roster maker does not deviate too much from that so we have a degree of uniformity across the board.

I think Jake Cave could very well deserve a B+ ceiling, but he also has an unfortunately short track record due to injuries. With a C+ rating, he could become a mid-B with two good seasons.

I think I will bump up Heathcott and Williams to borderline C/C+, so they're not too far away from progressing to a B- if they stay healthy and productive.

I'll certainly keep all your comments in mind as we spend the next week doing all the editing. Any help you could provide with stances would be fantastic!

Thanks again.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #37
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Watching Lindgren this spring, it looks like he really varies how he uses his slider. I've seen everything from a slow version with a bigger break in the upper 70's to a tighter harder cutter-like version around 90. I think to properly replicate this I'll give him a slurve around 80, a slider around 85, and a cutter around 90.

og236 - let me know if you see this or if you got my PM. If you're still up for doing some equipment work let me know and we can start scheduling that. There was an announcement today that they want the rosters from us by next weekend, so a lot will have to be done this week. Thanks!

We could also really use a face guy for anyone who can't be brought over from '14 if there's anyone out there who is good at faces.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:31 PM   #38
Rookie

jrock528's Arena

Thanks for the response Sink4Ever. I just feel like B ratings almost rarely ever become an A- at least thats what I have found out from playing a Blue Jays franchise till the year 2106 lol. I also realized that during the draft, it is very easy to get a player that is at least a 88/89 even if your the highest pick in the first round. So although we need to rate prospects between their ceilings and floor for this OSFM roster, I believe it would be better for the prospects that are sort of unknown right now to be rated on where in the draft they were selected or what sort of potential many feel at the time is (at least allow them to reach that potential). The latter can be used for international prospects. Another thing is like last year when using the yankees roster for OSFM, i remember JR Murphy, Solarte and Greg Bird/Aaron Judge being rated really poorly. It ruined the experience cause JR Murphy should be like a B and Solarte really changed. You can't forget Greg Bird was the MVP of the arizona fall league and is an absolute monster that some consider even better than Judge.

As far as the batting stances, I would be happy to help. How should I go about this? When I get the game Tuesday should I start looking for stances for the prospects on the spreadsheet and kind of list what stances I think work? Will there be a shared spreadsheet for me to use? Thanks.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:37 PM   #39
Rookie

jrock528's Arena

Forgot to mention that for B+ prospects like 86/87 and above, I definitely do see players become A's frequently. Another thing I would like to add which is very important is that we do the current numbers/ratings correct. I believe Aaron Judge, Bird, and Severino needs to be in the 70's overall realm right now. Same with Lindgren. Let me know what you think.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #40
MVP

sink4ever's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock528
Thanks for the response Sink4Ever. I just feel like B ratings almost rarely ever become an A- at least thats what I have found out from playing a Blue Jays franchise till the year 2106 lol. I also realized that during the draft, it is very easy to get a player that is at least a 88/89 even if your the highest pick in the first round. So although we need to rate prospects between their ceilings and floor for this OSFM roster, I believe it would be better for the prospects that are sort of unknown right now to be rated on where in the draft they were selected or what sort of potential many feel at the time is (at least allow them to reach that potential). The latter can be used for international prospects. Another thing is like last year when using the yankees roster for OSFM, i remember JR Murphy, Solarte and Greg Bird/Aaron Judge being rated really poorly. It ruined the experience cause JR Murphy should be like a B and Solarte really changed. You can't forget Greg Bird was the MVP of the arizona fall league and is an absolute monster that some consider even better than Judge.

As far as the batting stances, I would be happy to help. How should I go about this? When I get the game Tuesday should I start looking for stances for the prospects on the spreadsheet and kind of list what stances I think work? Will there be a shared spreadsheet for me to use? Thanks.
Yeah, I certainly understand that. Last year was the first year in a while that I didn't work on the set and I too was rather taken aback by how the players were rated. It's a very delicate balance to strike and at the end of the day everyone will probably have a slightly different take.

I'm afraid I can't stray too far from the current potentials listed at the moment. As I mentioned, there's been guidance given from the facilitators of the project so even if I were to increase potentials, they'd probably be lowered when the main roster came out. I would just advise making these changes yourself when you download the roster (honestly, I'll probably make a few changes myself before I start my own Yankees franchise).

I'll also do some simming this week after the game comes out to test the new progression system (ratings get more of a boost now based on performance). Changes to potentials may be needed based on those results.

For the stances, I can give you access to the spreadsheet if you want to PM me your e-mail address, or you can just list them here. Let me know what works best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock528
Forgot to mention that for B+ prospects like 86/87 and above, I definitely do see players become A's frequently. Another thing I would like to add which is very important is that we do the current numbers/ratings correct. I believe Aaron Judge, Bird, and Severino needs to be in the 70's overall realm right now. Same with Lindgren. Let me know what you think.
I'm working on the ratings now so I should know soon roughly how those guys come out. Remember, at the end of the day it's the individual ratings that mean more. Overall rating is calculated differently based on position, so it's not necessarily best to aim for a certain overall. The real sign we're on the right track is how they perform in the sims.

Last edited by sink4ever; 03-29-2015 at 12:42 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »