Home

OSFM 15: Pittsburgh Pirates

This is a discussion on OSFM 15: Pittsburgh Pirates within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Rookie

zbundy3's Arena

OVR: 1
OSFM 15: Pittsburgh Pirates

Since I haven't seen one started for the bucco's, I thought it might be a good idea to get one going with the new information starting to come out about 15. Just wondering if the regulars will be doing them again this year (tree3five, GoBucs09, and KHarmo88) and if you guys are still doing them for the ps3 or ps4? I have followed these the last several years, and just wondering if you guys need any help with the buccos this year? I cant believe spring training is almost here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #2
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: OSFM 15: Pittsburgh Pirates

You read my mind - I was just thinking about getting this started.

I've had a lot going on so I haven't talked with tree or GoBucs since last years OSFM. I'm on PS4 now and I'm not sure if they've switched over
Old 02-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
Pro

GoBucs09's Arena

OVR: 6

Hey everyone! I hope everyone is doing well. I will be switching over to the PS4 this year and I’m ready for Baseball to return. I didn’t even get a chance to play much of the show last year on the PS3 but I’m excited to be moving to the next gen version of the show.

So let’s get started with the preliminary 2015 Pittsburgh Pirates organization depth chart! Couple notes, I added grades to the players we’ll likely have to create and this is preliminary so at the end of each level I’ll go over some of my thoughts about the players at that level.

MLB Pittsburgh Pirates

C Francisco Cervelli
C Chris Stewart
1B Pedro Alvarez
1B/RF Corey Hart
2B Neil Walker
2B/UTIL Sean Rodriguez
SS Jordy Mercer
SS Jung-Ho Kang C+/B-
SS Pedro Florimon
3B Josh Harrison
LF Starling Marte
CF Andrew McCutchen
RF Gregory Polanco
RF Andrew Lambo

SP Gerrit Cole
SP Francisco Liriano
SP A.J. Burnett
SP Vance Worley
SP Jeff Locke
SP Charlie Morton
RP Arquimedes Caminero C
RP Radhames Liz C+
RP Stolmy Pimentel
RP Jared Hughes
RP Antonio Bastardo
RP John Holdzkom
RP Tony Watson
CL Mark Melancon

Not sure if Kang or Liz will be SCEA players or not but I have both as C+ potential right now with Kang maybe being a B- as we really won’t know until we see him play. Right now I have 14 position players as I’m not sure who will take Travis Snider’s spot. It originally looked like Lambo was going to end up in AAA again but with Snider traded, Lambo will get a shot to get the 13th spot but that is assuming Florimon is outrighted since he is out of options. I have no clue what will happen but I think if Kang can play a decent SS then Florimon becomes the odd man out, however Hurdle and Huntington like their defense first / no bat shortstops that play one inning a week so maybe Lambo is optioned anyway (which is a shame since I’d rather have a bat).

As for the pitchers, right now I have 13 listed as it’s not clear if Morton will be ready to start the season or not. If Morton is ready then Locke moves to the pen and either Pimentel is outrighted (and has to clear waivers) or one of Holdzkom or Hughes would be optioned (I think Hughes has an option left).

AAA Indianapolis Indians

C Elias Diaz C+/B-
C Sebastian Valle C+
C Wilkin Castillo D+ (possible extra)
C Miguel Perez D+ (possible extra)
C/1B Tony Sanchez
1B Stetson Allie C+
2B/SS Alen Hanson B+/A-
2B/UTIL Steve Lombardozzi
SS Justin Sellers
SS Gustavo Nunez D+
3B Brent Morel
3B Deibinson Romero C
LF Jaff Decker
LF Jose Tabata
CF Mel Rojas C+
RF Keon Broxton C+

SP Jameson Taillon A-
SP Nick Kingham B+
SP Brandon Cumpton
SP Casey Sadler
SP Adrian Sampson C+/B-
SP Clayton Richard C+
SP Charlie Leesman
SP/RP A.J. Morris C
SP/RP Jeremy Bleich C –
SP Chris Volstad D+
RP Rob Scahill
RP Bobby LaFromboise
RP Josh Wall
RP Brad Lincoln
RP Blake Wood
RP Deolis Guerra C-
RP Collin Balester C-

I’m not sure where Valle will go, as Diaz is expected to start for the Indians, Valle may start in Altoona. Of course if the Pirates decide to get Sanchez more time at 1B it would make sense to have Valle split time with Diaz. There is also Castillo who may serve as a coach/player floater between levels. The outfield is also up in the air as to where Broxton and Willy Garcia will play. The Indians will already have Decker, Rojas and Tabata but one of Broxton and Garcia will likely make the jump to AAA and I like the idea of Garcia going back to double A to work on cutting down his strikeouts.

As for the starters, Taillon will likely start the season in extended spring training, starting his season in May (probably). Cumpton, Sadler, Kingham, Sampson and Richard is the likely opening day rotation with Leesman and A.J. Morris/Jeremy Bleich the potential spot starters/long relievers. I’d expect the pen to include Scahill, Lafromboise, Wall, Lincoln and Wood but I’m not sure who else might have a shot as they’ll be competing with Leesman, Morris and Bleich.

AA Altoona Curve

C Jin-De Jhang C+
C Jacob Stallings C
1B Josh Bell A-
1B Jose Osuna C+
2B Dan Gamanche C-
SS Gift Ngoepe C+
SS Adam Frazier C-
3B Edward Salcedo C
3B Kelson Brown D+
LF Andy Vasquez C-
LF Justin Howard C-
CF Gorkys Hernandez D+/C-
RF Willy Garcia C+

SP Tyler Glasnow A+
SP Chad Kuhl C+/B-
SP Jason Creasy C+
SP John Kuchno C
SP Orlando Castro C
SP Angel Sanchez C
SP/RP Zach Dodson C-
SP/RP Tyler Sample D+
RP/SP Wilfredo Boscan D+
RP/SP Tom Harlan C-
RP Matt Nevarez C+
RP Nathan Baker C
RP Matt Benedict C
RP Joan Montero C-
RP Adam Miller C-
RP Jeffrey Inman D+
RP Ryan Beckman D+

I’m not sure if Jhang will move up to double A or not, it might depend on if McGuire moves up to Bradenton. Jhang looks good defensively but struggled with the bat last year. Defensively speaking Jhang is probably the 4th best defensive catcher in the system behind McGuire, Diaz and Valle. Other than Josh Bell moving to first base and Willy Garcia in the outfield, there isn’t a whole lot of star power on the Curve although Jose Osuna and Eric Wood are semi-interesting.

Pitching is totally up in the air right now for double A and below (I’ve listed the 17 most likely pitchers to make the Curve) Some of the Extra’s listed below may also make the Curve.

Single A low minors prospects

C Reese McGuire B+
C Connor Joe C+
SS Cole Tucker B+
SS JaCoby Jones C+
3B Wyatt Mathisen C+
CF Austin Meadows A-
CF Harold Ramirez B-
CF Barrett Barnes C+

SP Luis Heredia C+
SP Clay Holmes B-
SP Cody Dickson C+
SP Mitch Keller B-
SP Stephen Tarpley C+/B-
SP Trey Supak C+/B-
SP Gage Hinsz C+

Extras – (Level)
C Taylor Gushue C+
2B Erich Weiss C
3B Eric Wood C
SS Max Moroff C-
CF Junior Sosa C-/D+
CF Michael De La Cruz C+
CF Raul Fortunato C
CF Tito Polo C+

SP/RP Pat Ludwig D+ (A)
RP Josh Smith C (A)
RP Jhondaniel Median D+ (A)
RP Ryan Hafner D+ (A)

Last edited by GoBucs09; 03-11-2015 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Updated as of 3-11-2015 : Drew Maggi Released
Old 02-04-2015, 11:23 PM   #4
Rookie

joshize's Arena

OVR: 2

This is great. I like when we get to this point. This list already looks great. The Pirates have 7 players in the Top 100.. with one of the top minor league organizations, I feel like we aren't strapped anymore as we used to be. We should be deserving of having some high B and some A potential players. Here's my 2¢. I know it's actually worth it's value on this site; and I appreciate that.

Disclaimer: I agree with most everything... If I don't mention a player, I'm right in line with you. Just going to make some notes on some players of interest. (still may agree with you, just notes)

Jung-Ho Kang C+/B- is good. I disagree with the "we really won't know until we see him play." Potential is not ability. We will know his ability when we see him play, but his potential is on the edge of a high C or low B. Sort of like Mercer.

I don't value Liz too high. I hope I'm wrong, just don't see it. Low C for me.

Elias Diaz has to be a B. This is the future MLB catcher, at this point, potential-wise. He sits at #10 on Pirates Prospects. I think an 80-82 potential would fit him well.

Alen Hanson... in my opinion, I like mid B as a SS... high B as a 2B. I keep in mind that this game now has a smaller gap between B and A. He can hit though; that could play him to a low A, like you have. The position really may not play too much of a factor in it?

Sampson still profiles as a 3-5 guy in a rotation... but looks like he's going to get there. Kind of hard to rate that. Used to have to be a B potential to even make it to the majors on this game, now I've noticed a lot of C potential players making their way. Your guess is as good or better than mine. lol

Bell must be an A. He's crushing the charts this offseason on every list. Not sure what an A- is.. but I'd say that's good. 91? 92?

I'd like to see Glasnow and Taillon in line with each other. I don't think Taillon should take a huge hit just because of the injury.

I'd like to see Heredia as a B. I'm willing to give him one more year to show us some signs of what we once thought he would be. If he doesn't make strides this year, I agree with the bump to C.

It's interesting where we see players, though. Austin Meadows in #7 on Baseball Prospectus top 10. Right before Hanson, #8. We're seeing them as potentially A potential. Yet #4 McGuire, #5 Kingham, and #6 Mitch Keller get firm B's. I'm not saying I disagree... but a lot of our prospects are highly regarded and could go either way. Last year, every one had Cole Tucker as an A, as well.

I think you could easily make A's for Glasnow, Taillon, Bell, Meadows, and Hanson and feel like you aren't OVERrating the Pirates system. I'd venture to say you could add either McGuire or Tucker to that list and still be safe... but I'm a Pirates fan... so I won't suggest that. lol. In my opinion, if you're held to only 4... it's Glasnow, Taillon, Bell and Hanson. Meadows, being younger, could still develop into an A, if he performs well enough.

A couple notes about placement...
I would venture to say that Steve Lombardozzi has a better shot at making the roster than Pedro Florimon. Also, I'd rather see Tabata in right than Lambo. It doesn't help to have another lefty behind Polanco. Tabata has never really played bad enough to be treated the way he has. I still like him as a 4th outfielder. (just not the starter that we once thought he would be.)

With that said... that's why we have Spring Training. To work these things out on the field. I'll be rooting for Tabata to, once again, earn his way. It's going to be hard, though, considering he's not on the 40 man roster. If I had my way, I know some players I'd be pulling from the 40 man to make room for Lombardozzi and Tabata. I'd start with Florimon, and work my way toward Sellers and Decker. Pitching is hard to move off, but Scahill and Caminero.. you're next. haha

All I know... is that the Pirates made great moves this offseason to get DEEPER! I realize we gave up Snider, but it's possible that the only reason we did that was because we're so much deeper this year than the last couple years. I, also, think it's because we'd rather have a right handed bat for RF to give Polanco days off against tough lefties. To take Polanco and Alvarez out on those days would be helpful. Plus provide two impact bats off the bench for those nights. The Pittsburgh Pirates of 2015 look real good. Just hope Morton is not only ready for Opening Day, but will be the good version of Charlie Morton. But even if he's not... I'm confident in Jeff Locke and Vance Worley. I just feel real good about this team. Not sure about Liz... but maybe we'll add one more arm to the bullpen? I don't know.

Ok, this is too long, now. My bad.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Pro

GoBucs09's Arena

OVR: 6

Hey Joshize,

Good to hear from you.

Yep, the Pirates still have a top 10 farm system so I have the Pirates with 4 A's and 6 B's with possibly a few more B's.

Regarding Kang, I think I thought potential is projected ability. Potential is the quality or level of ability that a player can reach. Usually potential or grade is based on makeup/scouting report/raw skills plus performance so far and every person who grades a prospect is different in what they value more. I think we have some idea about Kang's raw skills but what we don't know is how his performance in the Korean league will translate. C+/B- may seem about right now but what if his power translates and he can hit 20/25 HR with a good hitting avg., then he becomes a B+/A-.

Liz put up pretty good numbers in the Korean league (which is a hitter freindly league) last year and his fastball touches 100mp/h so C+ might be the low end.

I agree with you on Diaz, if he can continue to hit in triple A then he is B- to B potential. His work behind the plate and throwing out runners is very good.

Hanson can hit (and has a little power too) and has speed but his defense is average. He has good range but the arm is average and he is prone to lapses. I like the hit and speed tools which is why I have him at B+ but if he becomes consistent on defense he might be a A- potential.

For Bell, an A- would be 90 - 93. I was thinking 91.

Taillon isn't taking a hit because of TJ, he's around 91 to 92 potential which is on the same level as Cole. Glasnow just has a higher ceiling than both Cole and Taillon because is stuff is almost unhittable.

I don't think time is a problem for Heredia, I think we just have a better idea of where his talent level and projection is which is on the same level as guys like Supak and Hinze.

Meadows has a really smooth swing and has put up good numbers as a 19 year old last season. He might be in front of Taillon. McGuire has great D but we don't know if he'll hit. If McGuire starts hitting then he is in the A potential range. Keller is mostly projection right now, as is all of the low minors pitchers (they could flame out or they could become the next Glasnow or Kingham).

Lombardozzi is not on the 40 man and isn't nearly as strong defensively (and hasn't played much SS) as Florimon (who is already on the the 40 man). Lombo may be a better hitter but not being on the 40 man stands in his way. He would have to hit .500 with 10 HR in ST or Kang would have to be a bust + Walker and another starter get hurt for at least a month.

I don't know how much it matters what side of the plate the 4th outfielder hits from. Polanco is not going to need a platoon partner. The bench already has right handed hitting Hart and Kang. If they need a right handed bat in RF they can play Harrison there and either Kang or Rodriguez can play 3B. Tabata is okay and maybe he gets added back to the 40 man but I'd like to see Lambo get another chance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #6
MVP

tree3five's Arena

OVR: 27

Looks really good GoBucs. I'm pretty much in line with everything you got. Pirates just traded for Edward Salcedo (3B/SS/RF), he may start the year in Altoona, used to be a top prospect.

Can't wait to start on OSFM 2015. I am on PS4 now, and it's looking to be awesome for 2015. Lots of new CAP options (new and licensed equipment, skin tones, names, etc)

Last edited by tree3five; 02-06-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM   #7
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Glad to see the key players are on board for another year. Hopefully the overall process goes well and we get a quality set in a reasonable amount of time. I'm sure the Buccos will be great!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #8
Legend

KHarmo88's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree3five
Looks really good GoBucs. I'm pretty much in line with everything you got. Pirates just traded for Edward Salcedo (3B/SS/RF), he may start the year in Altoona, used to be a top prospect.

Can't wait to start on OSFM 2015. I am on PS4 now, and it's looking to be awesome for 2015. Lots of new CAP options (new and licensed equipment, skin tones, names, etc)
I was nervous you didn't make the PS4 switch but I'm glad to see you're on board!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »