Home

OSFM 2015 Prospect Ratings

This is a discussion on OSFM 2015 Prospect Ratings within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: OSFM 2015 Prospect Ratings

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Those look like Sickels' grades, correct? The little blurbs are actually more important than the actual grades, because his letter grades don't translate 1:1 with overall in the game.

It looks like both have relatively low risk factors, which means there's a good chance both will actually hit their potential.

For Robertson, "projects as a regular" could mean anything between a C+ and a B-, and after messing with the ratings a bit, I see something around 80-81 being a good fit.

For Souza, "Draws Jayson Werth comps but Nelson Cruz is another parallel" would be around an 85, and he actually rates out pretty close to that (maybe a tick under). Personally I would say an 83-85.

Yep sickles, thanks for the time fellas. I am good with all that was said.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:35 PM   #18
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

I agree that many of the prospects are overrated and do progress too fast I think there is a second factor that's contributing to what you experienced. I feel like we try to hard to get all those top prospects in the lower minor leagues (A ball) in to the game. Like everyone else, I love having those guys but I think we lose site of the fact that the game is designed to have 25 ML guys, 25 AAA guys, 25 AA guys and only 15 A guys. I think by creating so many single A guys who are considered top prospects leads to an over saturation of talent as the franchise goes along. I know this will probably fall on deaf ears as noone is going to sacrifice having the promising 18 y/o in their franchise for having some AA, career minor league bench warmer. I think regardless of ratings, as long as we're not willing to make this sacrifice, you're still gonna run into the issues of everyone being rated mid to high 80's a few years into your franchise.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:25 PM   #19
Banned

dmitchell3's Arena

Raisel Iglesias for the Reds is listed as a relief pitcher. The Reds are looking at him for a starting pitching. He has a good shot at taking either the 4th or 5th rotation spots. Word out of camp is that he is looking really good. Just thought he should be changed to a starting pitcher and having some of his ratings reflect that.
Old 03-05-2015, 01:07 AM   #20
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitchell3
Raisel Iglesias for the Reds is listed as a relief pitcher. The Reds are looking at him for a starting pitching. He has a good shot at taking either the 4th or 5th rotation spots. Word out of camp is that he is looking really good. Just thought he should be changed to a starting pitcher and having some of his ratings reflect that.
ZiPS (which is what our method is based on for Hybrid OSFM roster ratings) isn't all that high on Iglesias for this year:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx...702&position=P

and thinks he comes out of the pen. He hasn't pitched above rookie ball yet, so I'd think there's little chance he breaks camp as a starter at the MLB level:

http://m.reds.mlb.com/news/article/1...st-the-indians

I think what will probably happen is he'll spend 3-4 months in the bullpen (lord knows Cincy needs help there) and probably be groomed to start in Winter ball and have a legit shot in the rotation in 2016.

That being said, Cincy's rotation is depleted after trading both Latos and Simon, so there's a chance. Iglesias is also a 55 FV prospect on FanGraphs so he certainly deserves to be looked at a bit closer as far as repertoire, potential, and ratings.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:39 AM   #21
Banned

dmitchell3's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
ZiPS (which is what our method is based on for Hybrid OSFM roster ratings) isn't all that high on Iglesias for this year:

and thinks he comes out of the pen. He hasn't pitched above rookie ball yet, so I'd think there's little chance he breaks camp as a starter at the MLB level:

I think what will probably happen is he'll spend 3-4 months in the bullpen (lord knows Cincy needs help there) and probably be groomed to start in Winter ball and have a legit shot in the rotation in 2016.

That being said, Cincy's rotation is depleted after trading both Latos and Simon, so there's a chance. Iglesias is also a 55 FV prospect on FanGraphs so he certainly deserves to be looked at a bit closer as far as repertoire, potential, and ratings.
Maybe it's just wishful thinking from a Reds fan haha. Ive just been going by what I've heard from interviews with players and coaches about his command with most of his pitches. I actually watched that game today. He looked a little rusty, but that's what you get when you haven't pitched in a year. First batter against him lined out to left. Next batter gave up a single, next batter struck out followed by a walk. The only reason he gave up runs was because of a terrible error by the 3B. (jammed the batter and both the SS and 3B let it roll by them, a play easily made with frazier and cozart in there). His fastball has a lot of run to it and his slider is definately a strike out pitch. I would say they're both plus pitches. He needs work on his change up still. Supposedly he has 5 pitches but I've only seen the 3. I believe he might have a curve as well, but like I said I'm not sure. Reliever or starter he will be an important part of the reds pitching staff this year and years to come.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #22
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
I agree that many of the prospects are overrated and do progress too fast I think there is a second factor that's contributing to what you experienced. I feel like we try to hard to get all those top prospects in the lower minor leagues (A ball) in to the game. Like everyone else, I love having those guys but I think we lose site of the fact that the game is designed to have 25 ML guys, 25 AAA guys, 25 AA guys and only 15 A guys. I think by creating so many single A guys who are considered top prospects leads to an over saturation of talent as the franchise goes along. I know this will probably fall on deaf ears as noone is going to sacrifice having the promising 18 y/o in their franchise for having some AA, career minor league bench warmer. I think regardless of ratings, as long as we're not willing to make this sacrifice, you're still gonna run into the issues of everyone being rated mid to high 80's a few years into your franchise.

This isn't falling on deaf ears. We are asking creators to create full AAA squads and 90% of AA this year and fill out the rest with prospects.

I agree as do many on your point.

As well, this year with the new progression system, we can't have A ball players playing above their level or they with struggle to progress in some aspects.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Old 03-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #23
Rookie

OhioCub's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76
This isn't falling on deaf ears. We are asking creators to create full AAA squads and 90% of AA this year and fill out the rest with prospects.

As well, this year with the new progression system, we can't have A ball players playing above their level or they with struggle to progress in some aspects.
That's good news, I'm definitely glad to hear it.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:12 PM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76

Just curious if your are asking the roster creators to create full AAA squads and 90% of AA this year.Will you ask roster creators of each teams to just include Top 20 prospects .And not to include international prospect that are not in their teams top 20 prospect list.I know single A players are mostly fillers and injury players.But is their been a priority for a example . A prospect like daniel norris who begin his 2014 milb season a level below AA.But who Ascend in the 2014 milb season to the majors.Basically prospects who a level below AA that have been promoted to AA .To replace a filler or top 20 prospect who was in AA that got promoted to AAA or the mlb.Their were two teams the Blue jays,astros that i recall that had this cover.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »