Home

Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM

This is a discussion on Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-20-2015, 08:00 PM   #17
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Player Ratings Inspired by ZiPS and OSFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattynokes
The reason for this would be exactly that -- to lessen the RP's potency when pitching multiple days in a row. RPs aren't necessarily fresh for each appearance, so I'm not seeing how they are deployed should matter in their Endurance rating.
Disagree. But to each their own.

If you have a 13 STAM RP coming in for back-to-back days, good luck with that.

As for pitches or innings, it's really a preference thing and it doesn't really matter all that much in the end. It's not like there are guys throwing 150 pitches only going 3 innings and guys throwing 55 pitch complete games in real life. For most guys, they rarely touch 120 pitches in any given start--these same guys are the ones going 7 and 8 IP per start. I don't like giving guys an attribute boost because they pitch inefficiently in real life. I'd rather reward guys for getting deep into games.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Do you have ratings for hitters from the defensive side of the ball?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 AM   #19
MVP

BrianU's Arena

OVR: 2

Sweet information here.

I will say that OSFM and Knights work is the greatest community initiative in gaming. It's incredible the amount of coordination and final product we get from it.

One nitpick I had in the past was when 30 different people rate 30 different teams you would get players rated on 30 different scales. I know 2 years ago there was a spreadsheet with suggestions of how to rate guys, I did the Mets, but as I saw first hand there was much left to the raters interpretation and some teams had way higher rated players in the farm system than other teams.

My question is will the ratings this year be universal on the same scale? I am really hoping that is the case and that one team or another doesn't have minor leaguers with elevated ratings over any other team.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #20
Pro

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravescountry123
Do you have ratings for hitters from the defensive side of the ball?
Yes, we have new speed and fielding ratings. In current sims the right guys are winng gold gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianU
Sweet information here.

I will say that OSFM and Knights work is the greatest community initiative in gaming. It's incredible the amount of coordination and final product we get from it.

One nitpick I had in the past was when 30 different people rate 30 different teams you would get players rated on 30 different scales. I know 2 years ago there was a spreadsheet with suggestions of how to rate guys, I did the Mets, but as I saw first hand there was much left to the raters interpretation and some teams had way higher rated players in the farm system than other teams.

My question is will the ratings this year be universal on the same scale? I am really hoping that is the case and that one team or another doesn't have minor leaguers with elevated ratings over any other team.
Should be more uniform this year. It certainly will be with the hybrid release.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:47 AM   #21
Rookie

Are they in the batting ratings with splits document?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2015, 10:34 PM   #22
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravescountry123
Are they in the batting ratings with splits document?
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but the main spreadsheet has been taken off the grid so only those actively working toward OSFM/Hybrid have access. My ratings are for both hitting and defense (and pitching) and the hitting ratings account for batting splits.

There were some piracy concerns and although it doesn't matter to me if someone takes our WIP rosters going back and forth in the vault, it's probably best that randoms can't claim to have an "early copy" of OSFM and deceive people about its authenticity. So I support the recent move to make things private. After OSFM comes out, things will probably be opened up again I'd imagine.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:50 PM   #23
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but the main spreadsheet has been taken off the grid so only those actively working toward OSFM/Hybrid have access. My ratings are for both hitting and defense (and pitching) and the hitting ratings account for batting splits.

There were some piracy concerns and although it doesn't matter to me if someone takes our WIP rosters going back and forth in the vault, it's probably best that randoms can't claim to have an "early copy" of OSFM and deceive people about its authenticity. So I support the recent move to make things private. After OSFM comes out, things will probably be opened up again I'd imagine.

I will PM you, but for the general public, we have a plan between Ridin and myself to make this happen this year.

Willard

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Old 05-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
Rookie

Can you guys please post the formula you are using? How do you know what max to use for each attribute? Im trying to do something similar myself with Steamer projections. How are you measuring what the attribute should be for each player when you weigh it on a 1-100 scale?

For power I would use HR rate- maybe slugging as well?
For contact use AVG
What do you guys use for Walks and K's?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »