Home

OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers)

This is a discussion on OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers) within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:47 PM   #41
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: OSFM & Hybrid 2015-Guidelines/Plans(Roster makers)

Guys - just a reminder with equipment - specifically helmets - do not give dual flap unless they are switch hitters that may use a dual flap once in the bigs.

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2015, 11:05 PM   #42
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanjeezy
Well the fact that you guys were using 600 PA's skews things a little, that's potentially 2-3 less HR's. Its also less K's and BB's, so for example Adam Jones gets a +6 boost to vision over last year's stock ratings, despite being projected nearly identical K%. Also, the only ratings spreadsheet I have seen is the one with the updated pitching ratings, so I can't really compare the hitters ratings on the hybrid spreadsheet, unless the hitter ratings haven't changed.

Since the ratings system was changed to be based on % (and to avoid precisely these confusing situations where people are using different measures of playing time), the number of plate appearances doesn't matter...Ratings in the spreadsheet are based on percentages (rates) not on absolute amounts of PAs, HRs, SBs, etc. The ratings chart was updated after last year because it was overproducing strikeouts, underproducing walks etc..The 6 point boost that you mentioned is a result of updating the scales to the current reality of the game. In other words the conversion from K% to VIS wasn't as accurate last year as it is now. We had to fix it. We are also using ZiPS ratings--Adam Jones' 2015 ZiPS projection for K% isn't the same as it was last year so we wouldn't expect his VIS to be exactly the same.

The spreadsheet has been posted multiple times throughout multiple threads. Teeds posted it in this same thread earlier today. Willard put it in the OP of his previous thread. It's been made available for people to look at if they want to do so. Not being sarcastic here despite how you may feel about it, but we would like for you (and others) to provide feedback. We just want everyone to be using the same playbook and not doing their own thing off in la la land whereas 28 teams, or whatever, do it a standard way.

Isn't the initial set using the default out of the box ratings for MLB players? I still don't know why you guys are trying to reinvent the wheel when it comes to ratings, wouldn't it be better to keep things as close to default as possible? In the long run isn't it better to find out why the default ratings are what they are instead of coming up with something completely different?

Yes, the initial OSFM set will have default ratings. But the entire reason that the Hybrid roster ever came about was because default SCEA ratings aren't as good as they could be. It's the same for sliders. Default is rarely ever optimal for gameplay. As a larger point, if out of the box settings for everything were best, why are any of us even here? Why do you do pitch edits? It's because there are things we can improve upon and modify.

Also, I'm still not even 100% sure of your methodology, were all of the changes arbitrarily made based on sim stats? What happens when the league is heavily populated with drafted players who don't adhere to your ratings scale? What about actual games?

Sim stats are a big component since the majority of stats in a franchise/season/rtts mode will be accrued by players/teams other than what most users control. Even though many use 30-team control, very few play all the games themselves. It's difficult to say how ratings jive with real games since sliders make a huge impact and people use different slider sets. From my own experiences, these ratings produce very accurate stats in played games--I played a whole Cubs season with them and partial seasons with the Diamondbacks and Twins. Many users are interested in league leaderboards and season stats looking reasonably accurate at the end of the season, which is what tracking sim stats and tying them to ratings does very well.

The rules don't apply to drafted players because we have no data to compare them to. Aside from that, we don't really edit those drafted players anyway. So, inflation of pitching or batting could take place over time, but it would be no different than a stock SCEA roster with stock SCEA ratings. People have seen horrors of simming several years into the future and the ERA leader having a 5+ ERA with default rosters. We won't know for sure how this works until we can test it with the new sim engine and sim several years ahead. It's likely that the drafted players will be overrated no matter what we do. More of them will have A and B POT and OSFM is trying to limit high POT; these 2 facts are obviously at odds. The only way to truly have drafted players come in and fit in is to allow POT inflation for OSFM so we have 2x or 3x as many A prospects and so forth. Most people would rather have overpowered draftees than that alternative since most never get 5-10 years into a franchise for it to really matter.

I guess its too late now, but I'll be sticking to V1 so I don't really mind all that much. I have the utmost respect for what you and Willard are doing since you guys have been super accepting of new ideas and suggestions. This is my fourth go with the OSFM team so I thought I would have more clout around here, but if I'm told one more time by a certain cubs fan to check my facts then this might be my last. Seriously dude, you're starting to piss me off.

I'm not touching this one.

The Mariners ratings have nothing to do with this, but thanks for your concern.

Re: the cutoff date, trust me dude, its March 1. Dustin Ackley's birthday is Feb 26, he was 26 in MLB 14. Bud Norris' birthday is Mar 2, he was 28 in MLB 14 despite being 29 for the whole season. Ergo, Feb 28/March 1 cutoff date.

Fair point. I should have articulated better what I meant by cutoff date. My point was that the players age 1 year in game at the end of the playoffs regardless of when rosters are originally locked. In other words, Oct 31 is the cutoff date for aging in game.

So if you stick with the March 1st cutoff date, then guys with birthdays between Mar 2nd and Oct 30th would play the entire season in the game younger than they would be in real life. There's no perfect answer. Even if an Oct 31 cutoff date were adopted, the issue would be reversed--players with Mar 2nd-Oct 30 birthdays would be playing the entire season older than they are in real life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76
I think Seanjeezy is correct on the cutoff date for age.

I will say I find the ratings WTNY has come up with do play slightly better in games than what we have done in the past which was 650 - I have tested them out myself. We aren't trying to reinvent the wheel. We came up with a system that would create cohesiveness and continuity throughout the roster - something the OSFM never had really because everyone was doing their own thing, some didn't even use Knights charts.

As for the inflated draft picks, whether we do this or not they are always an issue in future seasons regardless of ratings system.
I think the main problem is that OSFM is trying its best to keep the amount of A's and B's under control, but the created draftees are assigned A and B potentials at a much higher clip unless this has been changed. As Willard alluded to, a slight tweak to ratings isn't going to stop these draftee behemoths from taking over the league 5-10 years down the road no matter if Adam Jones has a 30 VIS or a 36 VIS.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:12 PM   #43
MVP

RidinDwnKingsley's Arena

OVR: 16

Guys its like groundhogs day every year with this. Stop the bickering and the "i know more than this one" or the " my system is better than sceas" cmon guys its never gonna be an exact science... Everyones trying to reinvent the wheel. Knight and I have been doing these sets for years, and with pretty good success I would say, and we never tried to reinvent anything. Use the worksheets as a guide, plot your A's and B's accordingly, if they need adjusted we will do it. But please this project is not and never will be about who knows more. It is about putting together a full minors set for all to enjoy. If you wanna reinvent your ratings systems please do it after we release V1 if OSFM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2015, 10:06 AM   #44
#1 conrhusker fan

huskerfan4life's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard76
Right now the goal is 2 versions.

The base OSFM and the Hybrid

We understand that there will probably end up being a second of each while we wait for your great work with pitch edits.

But for users who don't want pitch edits our goal is to have the first release of each close to gold standard in my mind
can I ask what the pitch edits are?

Follow Me On Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/bigbadjz
Old 03-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #45
MVP

Willard76's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfan4life
can I ask what the pitch edits are?

Seanjeezy creates a spreadsheet each year with up to date pitch repertoires and movement based on pitch fx

OSFM BLUE JAYS Creator

Soundpack Contributor

Associate Creator and Godfather of the OSFM Hybrid Roster

follow me on twitter @billybrent
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-30-2015, 02:07 PM   #46
Pro

rjviking11's Arena

OVR: 3

Im sure you guys are aware but just a heads up were starting to see a few last minute releases and trades, before the season starts. For example San Diego just traded Alex Torres traded to the Mets for Cory Mazzoni and PTBNL
NCAAF- West Virginia Mountaineers
NCAAB- West Virginia Mountaineers
Old 03-30-2015, 02:28 PM   #47
Pro

Ivanhoe's Arena

OVR: 4

Williard,
We were asked to create between 100-110 players for the roster set. Where do you want us to put the extra players? (10-20 players)
Old 03-30-2015, 02:47 PM   #48
MVP

RidinDwnKingsley's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanhoe
Williard,

We were asked to create between 100-110 players for the roster set. Where do you want us to put the extra players? (10-20 players)

You can put them on a different team. Shouldnt need to create that many especially with all the ones already in the set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »