Home

1998 Classic Rosters

This is a discussion on 1998 Classic Rosters within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
1998 Classic Rosters

Hey, all. I downloaded one of the 1998 rosters from the Roster Vault (sorry, I don't recall who posted it) and I am thinking of going through and creating minor leaguers for each team.

The rosters come with 25 players who spent time on the active roster for each team that season. What I'm planning on doing is going through and adding about 15-25 more players per team to add to their AAA club to replace the generic players (all of which have ratings of 0-1 in every category). I plan on using the help of baseballreference, OOTP, and Baseball Mogul to try and get a list of players that were in the minors at that time as well as guys that were drafted shortly after that made their MLB debut with each team. I want to add guys that had at least a few years of big league experience.

For example, as a Cardinal fan, I started toying with their roster last night and I created Cliff Politte, Jose Jimenez, JD Drew, and Rick Ankiel. Both Drew and Ankiel weren't drafted until after the beginning of the 1998 season, but they were both top prospects the next year or two, so I wanted to include them.

Because this will take some time, I wanted to ask on here first if anyone else has already done this or is currently working on it. Or if anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 07:46 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: 1998 Classic Rosters

I did this in season mode. I wanted to make it several seasons so I went on baseball almanac for each team l, created players who played at least a handful of games for the team. I also went through the rookie debut sheet on almanac for 1998 and created players who played for at least a couple seasons. That's what I did for my season, and ots a pretty easy tool for you to mke 40 mans at the least
Not changing this until the tigers retire #45 for Cecil Fielder

Psn: rdbsr45
Old 04-20-2015, 07:59 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdbsr88
I did this in season mode. I wanted to make it several seasons so I went on baseball almanac for each team l, created players who played at least a handful of games for the team. I also went through the rookie debut sheet on almanac for 1998 and created players who played for at least a couple seasons. That's what I did for my season, and ots a pretty easy tool for you to mke 40 mans at the least
Is your roster in the vault?
Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Rookie

No I'm just using it for my seasons right now, I did it inside of season mode, kind of a spur of the moment thing. But my suggestion would be baseball almanac
Not changing this until the tigers retire #45 for Cecil Fielder

Psn: rdbsr45
Old 04-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmo35
Hey, all. I downloaded one of the 1998 rosters from the Roster Vault (sorry, I don't recall who posted it) and I am thinking of going through and creating minor leaguers for each team.

The rosters come with 25 players who spent time on the active roster for each team that season. What I'm planning on doing is going through and adding about 15-25 more players per team to add to their AAA club to replace the generic players (all of which have ratings of 0-1 in every category). I plan on using the help of baseballreference, OOTP, and Baseball Mogul to try and get a list of players that were in the minors at that time as well as guys that were drafted shortly after that made their MLB debut with each team. I want to add guys that had at least a few years of big league experience.

For example, as a Cardinal fan, I started toying with their roster last night and I created Cliff Politte, Jose Jimenez, JD Drew, and Rick Ankiel. Both Drew and Ankiel weren't drafted until after the beginning of the 1998 season, but they were both top prospects the next year or two, so I wanted to include them.

Because this will take some time, I wanted to ask on here first if anyone else has already done this or is currently working on it. Or if anyone has any suggestions, that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/kd...Builder(2).exe

My roster utility has the option of scanning ahead in years and putting future major leaguers on the team they broke in with. You can also add generated players if necessary.

It will provide you with all vitals and ratings which you can use as you see fit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Rookie

J.D actually made his ML-Debut in 1998 on Sep. 8th for the Cards/Cubs series when McGwire hit HR 62. He struck out looking on a pitch that looked outside.

J.D. and Ankiel should definitely be on the roster.

Then the next year gets even more interesting with the draft picks:

Chris Duncan: drafted 1st round 1999
Albert Pujols: drafted 13th round 1999
Old 04-24-2015, 07:17 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 5

This is a huge undertaking as Jemeyers and myself did the 1987 full minors, which we are importing over this year as well. It is awesome to be accurate though
Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #8
MVP

rjackson's Arena

OVR: 1

1998 is an excellent year for this with the final expansion teams getting into the league. I would think that giving some depth ala 40 man plus doing the prospects that did end up making it to the big leagues would make a good roster. Not sure you have to do a full 90 man to make it a quality franchise roster. If I had the time to do something like this, I would have definitely started it last year.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »