Home

Minor league SP that may become RP

This is a discussion on Minor league SP that may become RP within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Minor league SP that may become RP

When playing in franchise, I will usually change some starters to relievers as they move through the system. The reality is that most all decent pitching prospects are starters until they reach a point where they no longer progress. Most big league relievers were starters in the minors up to a point.

If you look at the OSFM rosters, most of those fringy “C” pitchers in AA will end up being relievers in the bigs.

With my team (KC) I know who these guys are, and usually move them as the years progress in franchise mode. I change their position, drop their stamina, up their velocity a bit, and officially make them a RP pitcher. I thought this thread might be a good place for people familiar with those minor league systems to list those type of players that are starters today, but have a good likelihood of becoming RP in the future. Then, people like me can update them in our respective franchises as we move along. Hopefully this is a good resource for us Franchise players.

Names in the KC org:
Pedro Fernandez: guy with a lively FB and poor command. Will be in High A and maybe AA this year. Probably has 2 years left to prove he can’t hack it as a starter

Josh Staumont: 2015 draftee that throws 102 but has no idea where it’s going. He will be a starter just so that he can get reps, but could very easily get moved to the pen in a year or so. If he gets moved and can find any sort of command, could be in KC in short order

Ashe Russell: 2015 first round pick that the org will try to make a starter for as long as possible. But, the reality is that you have a guy with a good, lively 2 seam FB, a good slider, and little else. If he develops his change, he’s a solid bet to be a starter. But, those 2 pitches alone could make him a good RP.

Scott Blewett: big (6’6”) guy with projectability. He will also get a long leash to prove he can’t be a starter, but he has a good chance to be a RP if starting doesn’t work out

Eric Skoglund: big (6’7”) lefty who has had some health concerns. He doesn’t throw especially hard for a guy his size, but that could play up if he’s moved to the pen.

Matt Strahm: LHP that came on late (due to Tommy John in 2013). Has fringy stuff that could play up in a Relief role. He was added to the 40 man this offseason, so the club cannot fool around with him learning to be a starter for too long.

Alec Mills: Nearly identical to Strahm above, but right handed. Also added to the 40 man this offseason

I’d say that Staumont is a lock to end up in the pen. Fernandez and Skoglund are fairly likely as well. Strahm and Mills may get forced there, due to being on the 40 man. Blewett and Russell will get quite a few years to prove they can start.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »