Home

25-man vs. 40-man?

This is a discussion on 25-man vs. 40-man? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2016, 09:00 AM   #25
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: 25-man vs. 40-man?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizioN
Exactly what I still fail to understand. I just went with 1-team control, 25-man roster, and was able to keep all lineups/rotations in tact. Fixed my own 40-man for my team after Spring Training, and now I'm good to go.
Ok, so to confirm/finalize here...

I can set my 40 man up--for MY team ONLY; leaving every other roster at the OSFM V2.5 (25 man).

Then, prior to regular season, remove the extra 15 from the 40--leaving me with my 25 man opening day roster--which will NOT be adjusted by CPU.

Lastly, I will also have to move those add'l 15 to their respective minor league levels? Which, will cost me a move for them? (THAT SUCKS IF SO)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2016, 10:08 AM   #26
Rookie

adamjsav's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2

I can set my 40 man up--for MY team ONLY; leaving every other roster at the OSFM V2.5 (25 man).

Then, prior to regular season, remove the extra 15 from the 40--leaving me with my 25 man opening day roster--which will NOT be adjusted by CPU.

Lastly, I will also have to move those add'l 15 to their respective minor league levels? Which, will cost me a move for them? (THAT SUCKS IF SO)
No. Removing players from the 40 man will put them through waivers (my understanding). So there really is no benefit to starting with 40 man rosters unless you just want the CPU to choose the highest rated players. After spring training has ended, add anyone you want to your 40man. If you're using 30 team control, do the same. Otherwise play season one with the default 25 man. However sometimes this can lead to effects in free agency, the rule 5 draft etc.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:11 AM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

The computer doesn't chose my teams 40 man for me. I set it, move guys to get down to 25 and my roster is still the same. Unless I an mistaken.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #28
Banned

vizioN's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2

If you're looking to only mess with your team of choice, and don't mind what the CPU does with the other teams, I would go with the 25-man roster. Basically, take the 25-man roster that had corrected lineups and rotations, start your franchise, ensure that you have lineups set to manual in your settings, and sim Spring Training. After Spring Training, every team will still have their lineups and rotations that they did at the beginning before you simmed. At that point, all you must do is add your extra 15 players to your 40-man, and you're good to go for your team.

I honestly feel that's the easiest way to create your franchise with it starting in correspondence with real life, but allowing it to take its own course. All teams' lineups and rotations will be in tact, and you will at least have your own 40-man as well.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Brandwin's Arena

OVR: 50

The thing about using 25 instead is the CPU will never call guys up unless there is an injury and I believe the injured guys in A ball will never get called up. After the first season none of that matters anyway.

Kind of depends on what you want - realistic lineups/rotations based on real life or a MLB world with it's own life. I prefer the 40 man.

I also don't recall the cpu messing up their roster too much. I saw plenty of prospects that stayed in the minors after advancing Spring Training.

I hope I am not getting some of these things confused with the 25/40 rosters.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 AM   #30
MVP

JHedges2's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vizioN
If you're looking to only mess with your team of choice, and don't mind what the CPU does with the other teams, I would go with the 25-man roster. Basically, take the 25-man roster that had corrected lineups and rotations, start your franchise, ensure that you have lineups set to manual in your settings, and sim Spring Training. After Spring Training, every team will still have their lineups and rotations that they did at the beginning before you simmed. At that point, all you must do is add your extra 15 players to your 40-man, and you're good to go for your team.

I honestly feel that's the easiest way to create your franchise with it starting in correspondence with real life, but allowing it to take its own course. All teams' lineups and rotations will be in tact, and you will at least have your own 40-man as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandwin
The thing about using 25 instead is the CPU will never call guys up unless there is an injury and I believe the injured guys in A ball will never get called up. After the first season none of that matters anyway.

Kind of depends on what you want - realistic lineups/rotations based on real life or a MLB world with it's own life. I prefer the 40 man.

I also don't recall the cpu messing up their roster too much. I saw plenty of prospects that stayed in the minors after advancing Spring Training.

I hope I am not getting some of these things confused with the 25/40 rosters.
Ok so here's what I am looking for. It's a bit of 'the best of both worlds', I think...

I want to be able to use 40 players in spring training, so as to use younger players to get a feel for them.

I want to have opening day be as close to realistic as possible (within reason).

I want the CPU to trade, and call up prospects as per real world situations (not nec. to mimic real life--but I want call ups/send downs to happen; presumably performance based). I'm ok with an 'alternate universe', as long as it stays reasonable (don't want stupid lineups/trades).

------------------------------------------------

So I'm thinking before I start franchise, that I need to set ATL up with the 40 players I want to use in ST; every other team leave at the OSFM 25 man.

Then I am a bit confused as to how to proceed once I play/sim through spring training, I would've thought that if I have everything at manual for ATL, then nothing will change with my roster by simply 'advancing to season'. This, apparently is not an accurate assumption? The CPU will adjust my MLB, AAA, AA rosters based on ratings? If this is the case, and I were to then go in and fix to my liking--would it change as each day passes through the season? Surely that can't be the case.

Sorry if any of this is confusing. Thank you all for helping me work through this!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »