Home

What happens when you don't choose a "direction" when using directional hitting?

This is a discussion on What happens when you don't choose a "direction" when using directional hitting? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-22-2016, 05:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Question What happens when you don't choose a "direction" when using directional hitting?

Very curious about this. The results of most hits seem to be kind of random when I don't hold a direction while swinging on directional setting. Leads me to wonder what actually happens wIth a batter's mechanics and all when you choose to swing like this on this setting. Like, am I better off not choosing a direction if I have no idea where the next pitch is going to land and would rather rely on sight and timing instead of sort of guessing the location by choosing a direction?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2016, 02:37 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: What happens when you don't choose a "direction" when using directional hitting?

You would be better not using directional hitting, in my opinion, Directional hitting is to influence the ball to go opposite field or be pulled, In zone hitting it has to do with location of the pitch.
Old 05-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #3
Pro

Mattchu12's Arena

Re: What happens when you don't choose a "direction" when using directional hitting?

Yeah, I almost never use directional hitting. I'd rather swing based on the strike zone.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:16 PM   #4
MVP

Any suggestions for those of us who can't hit for beans with zone? I want to use zone but am just so bad with it.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas7
You would be better not using directional hitting, in my opinion, Directional hitting is to influence the ball to go opposite field or be pulled, In zone hitting it has to do with location of the pitch.
Trying to go opposite the location of the pitch in Directional isn't always the way to go either. Likewise, you can hit with the location of the pitch in Directional. That's not interface, that's baseball.

Also, you can influence ground ball or fly ball. Push/Pull has to do with your timing as much as anything else, though, yes influence works there too, as well in combinations.

Directional vs Zone is basically:

-Do you want to control the PCI or leave it to the hitter's and pitcher's ratings?

and

-Do you want a way to TRY (because there are no guarantees) to influence the hit type without controlling the PCI?

Last edited by KBLover; 05-22-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Trying to go opposite the location of the pitch in Directional isn't always the way to go either. Likewise, you can hit with the location of the pitch in Directional. That's not interface, that's baseball.

Also, you can influence ground ball or fly ball. Push/Pull has to do with your timing as much as anything else, though, yes influence works there too, as well in combinations.

Directional vs Zone is basically:

-Do you want to control the PCI or leave it to the hitter's and pitcher's ratings?

and

-Do you want a way to TRY (because there are no guarantees) to influence the hit type without controlling the PCI?
This. I prefer using Directional in my offline, since it makes a difference between the non-stars and stars more pronounced since it is based on ratings.
Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a ttoal jmulbe and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

amzanig huh?
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 8

I have found directional hitting this year to be a massive downgrade from last years game. I have been having a much more natural experience this year using zone which I have not been a fan of in the past because I always liked game results being more ratings related than my hitting ability.

When I did try directional this year I did not try to influence where the ball went. I realize that basically defeats the purpose of directional hitting but I was just very unimpressed with the results.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »