Home

Potential Scale

This is a discussion on Potential Scale within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 01:38 PM   #1
Rookie

Jros22's Arena

OVR: 0
Potential Scale

I created this for potentials it translates the 20-80 scouting scale to The Show 0-99 scale.

People tend to get biased just because some players are top prospects on their team but that doesn't mean that they have to be A potential, some players are considered top prospects because they are MLB ready and not necessarily because they have superstar potential, others have talent but also have major flaws that will probably prevent them from reaching their full potential, at the start of the year SCEA was giving most of the top prospects A pot but then changed to a more realistic approach, for example Sano was A pot but they changed him to B (88) because even if he reaches his offensive potential his low batting avg and fielding will likely prevent him from being a 90 OVR. We have to keep in mind the players strengths/weaknesses and start giving more B's and less A's because if we check just a few MLB players are 90 OVR and above.

Also some draft classes are deeper than others and a player that is the #1 prospect in a year could have been the #10 in another for example: Benintendi is considered a 65 while in past years there were prospects like Seager, Correa etc that were 70 or even 75. That 65 would put Beni in the 90-87 range which is acceptable given that he hasn't shown elite power. (Beni will be in the game just used him as an example)

Scale it's not perfect but could be of good use and will be a good starting point in order to get realistic potentials. Would be nice if every OSFM roster creator uses the same universal scale to get better results all around. Also when assigning the potentials we could consider age too and give a little boost to the young ones that are in their 1 or 2 Pro year because usually their scouting grade gets better as they develop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Statcast 90 ft times converted to MLB The Show Ratings:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by Jros22; 03-28-2017 at 01:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Potential Scale

I think that looks pretty solid.

My question for veteran roster creators;

Does this hold up over 10-15 years of franchise play?

Does a players potential rating tie directly to his progression over 5-10 years?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
MVP

TheGame8544's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: Potential Scale

I like this and would be interested in putting it in OSFM Hybrid. Good stuff as potentials are a little crazy in the base roster.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »