Home

Suggestion for Roster guys...

This is a discussion on Suggestion for Roster guys... within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-23-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Suggestion for Roster guys...

I have doing a lot of reaching on how to make rosters, I know creating playing and that functions but it took a lot of research and asking question on what stats to use, how to use calculations to get The Show Stats, using OOTP to get stats for pitchers...my suggestion would be, if someone on here could create a how to video or a tread on creating rosters...that way you can keep new freash blood in the game people can enjoy that as aspect more...I have noticed more and more it like a trade secret, I understand the idea that kids like to steal other people's work and call it their own, but it's stiffling the true people that want to learn...just food for thought and hope to hear some feedback about this and gnot get buried...

Thank you all for what you do, you guys make this game so enjoyable and the experience amazing..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2017, 10:36 AM   #2
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Suggestion for Roster guys...

As a newb, I'd like to see a comprehensive breakdown from the vets as well.

.. but after making Madden rosters forever, ratings are subjective, and even polarizing. Outside of the HOF'rs, I would imagine it's hard to find true common ground on ratings, especially in this sport where you can get SO in depth regarding statistical breakdowns.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyfire2001
I have doing a lot of reaching on how to make rosters, I know creating playing and that functions but it took a lot of research and asking question on what stats to use, how to use calculations to get The Show Stats, using OOTP to get stats for pitchers...my suggestion would be, if someone on here could create a how to video or a tread on creating rosters...that way you can keep new freash blood in the game people can enjoy that as aspect more...I have noticed more and more it like a trade secret, I understand the idea that kids like to steal other people's work and call it their own, but it's stiffling the true people that want to learn...just food for thought and hope to hear some feedback about this and gnot get buried...

Thank you all for what you do, you guys make this game so enjoyable and the experience amazing..
Researching? Honestly, this is how all of us "roster guys" became roster guys in the first place. By researching the forums and playing around--nobody came out and said this is how you do it! One must roll up one's sleeves and become largely self-taught.

I doubt anyone is going to make a tutorial, because, frankly, roster people already spend far, far, far too much of their precious gaming time making rosters for the community to use. To add teaching everyone else how to make rosters would mean some of us might never play the game. lol. That would be a full-time job. And even if that weren't the case, different roster makers go about their work in different ways so there couldn't be one single method to teach. It's best to try to figure out everything on your own and ask specific questions to fill in the gaps rather than to hope for a complete instruction manual to materialize.

In theory, teaching a new "generation" of people to make rosters should be a good and helpful thing in the long run. In practice, however, almost nobody on OS has the right combination of attention to detail, knowledge, patience, and free time to get involved in making good rosters. So, teaching and onboarding people is usually a sunk cost with no return.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

One thing I've always been interested in is how the "roster guys" come up with there ratings?
Is there a calculator they created where they plug in RL stats and get ratings?
Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Perhaps a Roster Creation Q&A thread is good enough.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2017, 02:34 PM   #6
Go Cubs Go

WaitTilNextYear's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGov
One thing I've always been interested in is how the "roster guys" come up with there ratings?
Is there a calculator they created where they plug in RL stats and get ratings?
Some people use historical stats and convert it into ratings using a defined scale/conversion chart that they've developed.

Some have streamlined this process into an Excel "calculator" where one enters a stat and the calculator spits out a rating in another cell.

People may have noticed there is an entire thread (or more) on one guy's calculator floating around these parts. TheGame has a thread for his work. JTommy has had a thread in the past for his "RBU" which can function essentially like a calculator, although his was mostly for historical rosters if memory serves.

Yet others use projected stats and base their calculations off that.

Some others just sort of eyeball it and make crude adjustments to players they feel are drastically off.

Many methods are out there. No one correct answer and nobody will agree on one.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #7
MVP

TGov's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPeener
Perhaps a Roster Creation Q&A thread is good enough.
Good stuff, thanks man!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:51 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Hey thanks WTNY, for your inputs on that, for me I am into making historical rosters and download JTommy calculated and they look great so far, have only done one team, it was just an idea that was floating around cause I talk a lot to these kids today with YouTube channels and twitch channels and all they do is making videos of then doing nothing..lol..anyway I just figured I ask around to see if some one on here would just make a quick video on what they use and how to go about it...but trust me after 20 years in the military I know all about trail and error and asking the studio questions...

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »