Home

OSFM 2018 “Opening Day Version” Available Now

This is a discussion on OSFM 2018 “Opening Day Version” Available Now within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2019, 07:23 PM   #2369
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: OSFM 2018 “Opening Day Version” Available Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsey7
Can someone PM me and explain what is going on with all this? Sorry I guess I'm old and I don't understand what is happening lol! They can't call it OSFM anymore but why does that mean the rosters can't be made under a different name by the same people? I've tried to read everything but I know I'm confused and probably uninformed so my apologies on the front end.
One of the guys is working for ootp now but there will still be a full minors released to the vault by os members. As for next year I'm sure guys here will pull together then too. I even thought Knight still had a hand in this the last 2-3 years. Also it wasnt going to be called osfm anymore anyways FWIW. The great thing about carry-over saves is work doesn't have to wait till March to begin. If about 1800 CAPs need creating (thats my rough, very rough estimate) split that among 4 guys doing 450 players from January to March, your looking at creating 5 guys a day. Its an enormous undertaking but this community is hands down top notch when it comes to this type deal. I try not to take it for granted but these guys never cease to amaze. But for now, lets just enjoy 19's set when released. Thanks again gentlemen!

A Work in Progress

Last edited by Caulfield; 02-21-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:58 PM   #2370
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

If the rosters are done and just need importing etc into 19 I am willing to help as well to cut the workload for you all it can get tiring doing that over and over again.
Old 02-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #2371
LADetermined

ShowTyme15's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
If the rosters are done and just need importing etc into 19 I am willing to help as well to cut the workload for you all it can get tiring doing that over and over again.
At this point the only thing we really need is guys to help with faces and recreating some of the guys that will be missing. Can't do any of that until 19 drops though. We have some guys for faces and we may need a few more depending on the amount of work that has to be done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2019, 02:28 PM   #2372
Rookie

EmbraceThePace's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Who knows. In a way, I hope it is, and that probably seems crazy coming from someone who has used OSFM rosters since the days of Knight and company. Here's why I feel this way.

OSFM, while an amazing collaberation of content creators who spend hundreds upon hundreds of hours making the game better for all, is basically at its core a project that allows Sony San Diego to profit off of the free work of volunteers, while they are putting little effort into their side of things. Franchise is stagnant, their fake minor league rosters are junk, and the whole roster editing on console is a really cumbersome process.

SDS faces the challenge that they can't put in real minor leaguers even if they wanted to. There is no minor league union, so they can't just go buy the rights to put in the real minor league players. That is true. So instead of trying to make excellent realistic fake minor league rosters filled with unique players, they have what they have now, a minor league full of players no one wants to play with. I'm not sure how much time they put into this, but I suspect its very little. Because they know the hardcore franchise players are going to use OSFM (which is done for them for free) and the people that play franchise but aren't that hardcore just aren't going to care if their fake minor league rosters stink anyways.

So the presence of OSFM sells the game to many people, Sony profits off of OSFM even though they can't formally acknowledge its existance legally. Everyone involved is creating these rosters for free, spending months of their lives to do so every year. They are being exploited in a way.

So what SHOULD Sony do? They can't embrace or endorse OSFM. They can't pay them. Obviously that would get Sony into a NCAA-like situation. IMO, its actually simple. They could respect the people that are basically, for free, creating content that sells their game for them. How difficult would it be for SDS to create a PC roster editor that would let you import/export rosters from game to PC and vice versa. Let the creators edit the rosters on PC. Allow roster projects to be shared amongst multiple creators on PC. Release the PC editor a month or two before the game actually comes out so the roster editors can get a head start. You could cut down so much of the time it takes to make these this way. If you are going to essentially profit of the free labor of your fans, at the very least make their jobs easier.

For too long I think all of the great content creators here at OS who have worked on OSFM tirelessly have essentially allowed SDS to get a free pass with their own official rosters. If they are going to reap all the benefit, they need to improve their own rosters, or at least make the lives of the people that are improving their game for free as easy as possible.

Anyways, thanks to all who have worked on OSFM over the years. You all, past and present, are an amazing group of people.

I 100% agree with everything you said. I used to make draft classes for NBA 2K and it was the same situation. I spent tons of time making draft classes that got millions of downloads, people told me they only bought the game because of them. I knew I couldn’t get paid for them, but I was constantly asking for easy to implement features to make the process faster and easier.

The community managers told me multiple times they loved my feedback and would personally pass them to the devs, yet year after year the system got even worse. Same exact thing with The Show. There’s absolutely no reason they can’t add in a feature to, say, carry over a roster file. It’s crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/embracepace

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/izomniayt
Old 02-22-2019, 02:51 PM   #2373
Rookie

OSFM 2018 “Opening Day Version” Available Now

Will these be updated for 2018, like after these FAs sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by rhouserjr0614; 02-22-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:16 AM   #2374
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingCeo27
I got a question for roster people

I am working on a complete roster set as we speak to use for the 18 version of the game as I will not be buying the new version. I am making all the moves currently in the bigs and making sure all teams 90 man rosters are of players listed on the roster resource site.

Here is my one question. When i play with it eventually I use 30 team control and shut off having to consider budgets when making trades. But because I am making all contracts the real contracts like Machado has a 10 year 300 million and such. I wonder most teams will at the end of my first season be in the red. Will that stop me from being able to advance past season 1 or can I edit some setting to where that never matters cause that part of the game I really do not worry about when I play.
Once youre done editing contracts I dont think most teams will be in the red because the competitive balance tax threshold will increase as you increase every teams budget, keeping most teams in the black. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

A Work in Progress
Old 02-23-2019, 03:40 AM   #2375
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
At this point the only thing we really need is guys to help with faces and recreating some of the guys that will be missing. Can't do any of that until 19 drops though. We have some guys for faces and we may need a few more depending on the amount of work that has to be done.
Are you gonna make a missing players thread like you usually do each year? And note 50-50
Players that may also not be in the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #2376
MVP

forme95's Arena

Will options be more correct this year? It seems everyone either had 0 or 3 options. Or because of carryover franchises they have to be that way.

Franchise SIM is dead. Find your favorite iterations and play it forever. Card games are whats "now" and games will cater in that direction and forget realism.

Just have fun and play :)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »