Home

Is MLB 18 a better game for downloading historic rosters?

This is a discussion on Is MLB 18 a better game for downloading historic rosters? within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-21-2018, 10:39 PM   #1
Banned

Rolltide1980's Arena

OVR: 0
Is MLB 18 a better game for downloading historic rosters?

So I've just recently dabbled in downloading user made rosters for MLB 17. I decided to go with the 1997 roster(Baumy300) and probably my favorite season,the 1989 roster(PJsnell) and I have to say both rosters are extremely well done,I'm absolutely blown away with the accuracy and the players ratings in these rosters. That being said,and I know a lot of work was done to try to make the non legendary players appearances and stances as accurate as possible, but you are at the mercy of the limits of the player editor and only so much can be done to make the players look true to their real life counterparts.

So my question is this; since I'm way more into the historic user made rosters than I am into current MLB rosters,would I get more enjoyment out of MLB 18? I noticed when I was in Gamestop today that it's been marked down to $39, which is really making me consider making the upgrade. Do the historic rosters end up turning out noticeably better on MLB 18, especially since they included a batting stance editor? I'd imagine it would be easier to dial in on certain players unique batting stances.

Maybe there are more face/head/facial hair options as well,making it easier to replicate more of the players from those eras that aren't included on the legends rosters. I have yet to play MLB 18,and I have heard from several people that from a gameplay perspective it's not a huge leap forward,but for those of us that love to download the retro rosters,would I get much more enjoyment out of 18 than I would 17? I'm really on the fence with this right now, one minute I'm thinking I'm definitely going to make the jump,then I realize how much fun I'm having with 17 and wondering if I'll even notice a difference.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: Is MLB 18 a better game for downloading historic rosters?

I'm new to The Show - just purchased the PS4 at the end of May for my birthday. I have both 17 & 18 - so my simple answer is: get both games. 18 is amazing - a clear upgrade over 17. Seem similar in gameplay. I have grabbed a ton of historic files for both games and that will keep me plenty busy. The 1995 season will soon be completed, and to my knowledge this will be the first 1995 file done for MLBTS of any of the year's provided.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:38 PM   #3
Banned

Rolltide1980's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I'm new to The Show - just purchased the PS4 at the end of May for my birthday. I have both 17 & 18 - so my simple answer is: get both games. 18 is amazing - a clear upgrade over 17. Seem similar in gameplay. I have grabbed a ton of historic files for both games and that will keep me plenty busy. The 1995 season will soon be completed, and to my knowledge this will be the first 1995 file done for MLBTS of any of the year's provided.
You make a good point that I didnt consider beforehand;some of the historic rosters in 17 aren't downloadable for 18. Very good point! Well that made my decision easy!

Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

The only historic roster I’ve played on both is the fantastic 1989 season. Some of the hairstyles and stances do look better on 18. Over time, I’m sure the stances will probabaly be updated more as well if he has time.

But even if the roster was identical on both, I’d definitely get 18 for the gameplay improvements, which are pretty huge.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #5
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

Also, there were more historical uniforms added in 18, so that is always a nice touch for these rosters as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #6
Banned

Rolltide1980's Arena

Found a used copy for $38, for Elite Pro members its $30 so I cant pass on that deal, about to go pick it up when they open so I'll play a quick game Giants Vs Cubs in an 1989 NLCS rematch to kill some time real quick. Cant wait to pick it up, cant imagine it getting much better than MLB 17,which I consider the best baseball game I've ever played. Amazing how far baseball games have come since I was a kid playing NES Baseball and RBI on the original Nintendo

Old 06-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Banned

Rolltide1980's Arena

Wow! I'm absolutely loving MLB 18 so far! To me the gameplay improvements are really subtle but I can definitely tell they're there. The main thing I've noticed is the ball physics,especially the way the ball comes off the bat,just seems to have a more natural slice off the bat when you swing late and its arching towards the foul line. That and all the lighting seems much more natural,almost like a more gradual setting of the sun during a late afternoon game. Definitely loving the look and feel of this game! I do have a quick question about that historic rosters though, say I want to start a season with the 1989 roster, what happens with the expansion teams like Tampa Bay,Arizona,Florida,and Colorado which didnt exist in 1989? I'm guessing theres mo option to omit these teams so do they just have generic players on them or how does this work?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »