Home

2019 Edited Rosters

This is a discussion on 2019 Edited Rosters within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-10-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0
2019 Edited Rosters

Hello everyone. I decided to share the roster I have been editing for my personal use with everyone. The current version is already on the vault but I figured why not spread the word a bit. Maybe there are others who will agree with my philosophy.

I am not moving on to MLB 20, more than likely. It will have to take a lot to sway me. I am having loads of fun with this game and that is why I wanted to share this. Honestly, I am not moving on to any sports game next year or even the playstation 5.

We have a great set of rosters here as a community, second to none. But there is always one thing that nags at me. I feel like as a whole, we over value prospects. So how I like to play, this becomes apparent rather quickly. I like to build teams into my vision over 6 to 8 years of simming then I play them. That is what my Indians future franchise is. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but what happens is that the league is packed full of rosters that have 20 or more players at 85 overall where even the bottom dwellers are star studded teams. I combated this by spending hours editing my Indians save file rosters to make it better. Why do this to one file when I can do it at roster level. I also discovered if you simulate 15 to 20 years into the future, the roster ratings explosion tends to return to where it sits at the beginning. I took some time and thought about why and came to a few conclusions. But I won’t share those specifics.

Enough about that though, let’s talk about the roster.

Roster:

I started with the FM trade deadline version as the base for this roster. So credit to the creators of that roster.

I will get the elephant out of the room now. These are not 40 man accurate. I do not intend them to be. That is not something high in my priority list. What it does have is MLB players and A and B potential prospects out of A ball so they don’t disappear when you start a RTTS. This was higher priority for me versus having completely accurate 40 man and 100 percent minor league accuracy.

What the roster has:

At this point, all A and B prospects and MLB players out of A ball.
A few contracts changed for players deciding to opt out of contracts.
At this point, over 100 MLB players with edited ratings (SDS end of year or very close to it) to reflect good or bad years. E.g. Alvarez, Alonso, Castillo, Giolito, etc. I am still working on more at this point.
A lot of edited potentials to minimize the over inflation of ratings a few years down the road.

Let’s talk about potentials.

First we have to cover a few topics to truly understand potential.

1. In the game, a player can have his overall impacted by 4 to 5 points either direction from their base overall by morale alone. Meaning if a player rated 80 is very happy could he have an 85 overall rating. Yes, we know this is cosmetic only, but the adjusted rating can have a huge impact on depth charts, starter slot, lineup slot, etc.

2. Next, we know that potential has no true bearing on regression, so there is no need to inflate it for that. I have a lot of simulated seasons with different rosters to confirm that. Probably over 40 seasons of simulation here studying a lot of different things.

3. Next, we need to look at how prospect grades work and what the numbers mean. The scale rates from 20 to 80. There are some great reads on this, but I will give a quick breakdown. For hitters, a 50 grade is an average or regular player. A score of 65 would be considered all star caliber, and going 70 and above is considered elite and the best of the best. For starting pitchers, a 50 grade would be a number 4 starter and a grade of 70 would be considered a true number 1 or 2 starter on some rosters. Above a 70, would be considered an ace. This means that most players should be near the middle of about a prospect grade of 50. There are fewer aces in the league than teams on average and not every team has an ace or true number 1 starter so we need to accept that.

4. That being said, we now have to figure out where the average major leaguer should be at during their peak overall and prime age. They should sit somewhere around 76 to 78. That would make the average player less than allstar caliber, and more than bench and utility players. This is going to be a slightly different number for your average reliever as their average prospect grade is around 45.

5. With the average player being established as a 76 to 78, we can move forward. But players in this rating range can’t be good, can they? Yes they can and this is where you can get some really good players that are good at a few things but not everything. They are not bad players, but they are not great players. They are what make up a chunk of MLB rosters as average every day players that do their job. This also means that if you elevate these players morale by 4 if they are very happy, they now go to an average of 80 to 82 at most which is a much more presentable and reasonable number and less likely to mess up lineups, rotations, and bullpens.

6. So the question now becomes, how do we translate that into potential ratings? With the above being said, this means that a prospect grade of 50 should be average and should equate to a potential of 76 to 78. This means that your average prospect would show C potential in the game, not a B potential.

7. What I did was use a scale and converted prospect grades to potentials. With all the above being said, I converted a prospect grade of 50 to a potential of 76 to 77. So a prospect grade of 55 would be a 78 to 81 window. The FM rosters use an average of 80 to 81 for the average player grade, so this creates more high potential players, more A potential players, and more inflated roster ratings down the road.

8. There are only a few prospects who have grades above 60 and none above 70. If you classify 70 as elite, there are no elite prospects and should be no prospect with a potential of 97 to 99. I did keep some prospects near where they were and some top prospects that I did not change. As an example, Indians prospect Nolan Jones had a potential of 90 in the FM roster and this would translate back into a prospect grade of 65 and make him an elite prospect, which he is not. Instead his grade is a 55, which puts him in the 78 to 81 potential and since I do not drop more than 1 grade, it will make it an 80 to 81. This means he will be above average player and may make some all star games with good years, but won’t be a perennial all star or elite player. In the original potential grade system, he would grow into a 90 overall and be a premier player in the league, again something he is not projected to be.

9. This means that a lot of prospects that had potentials of 90 or more, had their potentials lowered to the 83 to 86 range. Some even more than that down to 80 or 81. I did not drop any prospect more than one letter grade.

I know that everyone wants that prospect to turn into a 99 overall superstar, but it just doesn’t happen that often. Average players have great years then regress back to the mean. Also in order to make building a team harder you have to truly make roster decisions about current players and up and comers. It also makes those A potential prospects much more valuable. The trend is that more prospects tend to become superstars in the game more than actually do in real life. Lowering potential to a more reasonable number helps that.

I should also note that in my personal franchises, I do prospect edits to keep the trend of player be maintained in a consistent manner. But this post is lengthy enough so I won't go into it now. Maybe another day.

This roster may not be what everyone wants but it is what I want from a roster. If you like it, feel free to use it. The next post will have the file information in it.

Note that this is still potentially a work in progress. I may or may not make more changes. Please keep this in mind when asking questions or making comments. There are still some prospect potentials and ratings changes I am making.

I am posting this to share with others.

Thanks for checking it out!

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 11-10-2019 at 05:20 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Re: 2019 Edited Rosters

Updated as of 11-15-19

File name: FMfunkyFINAL
PSN: Doctordoof36

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 11-15-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 02:45 AM   #3
Rookie

Thanks for the roster upload. Really appreciate the time you took to not only sim, analyze, & adjust, but also provide all of the details here. This roster looks like it should hold up well for many seasons.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what types of edits you make to drafted prospects, if you have the time. Its not really the same thing, but I've considered randomly increasing ratings of some 1st round picks, just because the CPU drafting engine is so awful & overly focused on potential without regard to rating ceilings.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #4
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks on the Pond
Thanks for the roster upload. Really appreciate the time you took to not only sim, analyze, & adjust, but also provide all of the details here. This roster looks like it should hold up well for many seasons.

I'd definitely be interested in seeing what types of edits you make to drafted prospects, if you have the time. Its not really the same thing, but I've considered randomly increasing ratings of some 1st round picks, just because the CPU drafting engine is so awful & overly focused on potential without regard to rating ceilings.
Thanks for checking it out. I am getting over a stomach bug right now, but I will try and post the edits I do by the weekend.

I appreciate the feedback!

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 11-15-2019, 02:16 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
Thanks for checking it out. I am getting over a stomach bug right now, but I will try and post the edits I do by the weekend.

I appreciate the feedback!
No rush on this. Rest up & get well soon! I'm just about to start a franchise, so it'll be a while before I need to edit prospects.

I think you deserve to be getting more positive feedback on the roster, but this time of year I'll bet most people are too deep into their franchises to consider starting over (or too busy playing Madden, NBA2K, etc.)

Using the carryover feature, I played all 162 games of the Indians 2016 season in MLB17, & all 162 games of the D-Backs 2017 season in MLB18.

This year, I just haven't made much progress. I'm a lifelong fan of the Tribe, so I wanted to go back to using them, but playing against all those AL Central teams just gets boring. Playing as the D-Backs was actually a lot more exciting, having the challenge of competing in a division against the Dodgers & Giants, and I generally like the NL stadiums more than the AL. I was in a 5-team race for a wild card spot in the last few weeks of the season, which was far more interesting than when I won the AL Central with Cleveland by like 25 games.

So I may go back to the D-Backs. They certainly have some intriguing young prospects on the roster now. I've been wanting to play multiple seasons, so I probably have to start simming more.

Last edited by Ducks on the Pond; 11-15-2019 at 02:35 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-15-2019, 09:11 AM   #6
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks on the Pond
No rush on this. Rest up & get well soon! I'm just about to start a franchise, so it'll be a while before I need to edit prospects.

I think you deserve to be getting more positive feedback on the roster, but this time of year I'll bet most people are too deep into their franchises to consider starting over (or too busy playing Madden, NBA2K, etc.)

Using the carryover feature, I played all 162 games of the Indians 2016 season in MLB17, & all 162 games of the D-Backs 2017 season in MLB18.

This year, I just haven't made much progress. I'm a lifelong fan of the Tribe, so I wanted to go back to using them, but playing against all those AL Central teams just gets boring. Playing as the D-Backs was actually a lot more exciting, having the challenge of competing in a division against the Dodgers & Giants, and I generally like the NL stadiums more than the AL. I was in a 5-team race for a wild card spot in the last few weeks of the season, which was far more interesting than when I won the AL Central with Cleveland by like 25 games.

So I may go back to the D-Backs. They certainly have some intriguing young prospects on the roster now. I've been wanting to play multiple seasons, so I probably have to start simming more.
Thanks! I appreciate that.

I am not too concerned about the feedback. Glad I have gotten some. I wanted to contribute to the community. And like you said, with the season being over, most won't start a new franchise.

I actually started this for what you said. I am playing as the Indians, lifelong fan here too even though I recently left the state for work, but wanted to play as an NL team. I am actually doing this so I can play as the Padres or maybe the Giants or the Diamondbacks. Haven't quite decided yet.

I am actually going to release an updated version of the roster tonight with some more edits around 9 pm EST time. I edited some more potentials and some more player ratings. Probably another 30-35 MLB players and edited some more potentials of MLB players. I ran another test simulation when I was under the weather for the heck of it and found a few more things I needed to improve upon. At that point, I will probably be done editing and roll with a second franchise.

I am going to write up the prospect edits sometime this weekend. This is where it gets harder because the draft classes in the show start off strong then seem to drop in talent over a 5 year period then reset. It makes those edits for long term franchises more important.

Either way, thanks for your feedback. I truly appreciate it.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 11-15-2019, 09:08 PM   #7
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Pulled down temporarily.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

Last edited by Funkycorm; 11-15-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:26 PM   #8
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Working on some more edits. Should be up by 1145pm EST. This will be the gold version. Will post details when uploaded.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »