Home

Sliders explained.

This is a discussion on Sliders explained. within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2015, 12:20 AM   #1
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25
Sliders explained.

If there's already a post like this my apologies. But once again I'm finding myself in the land of slider purgatory. Stuck between All-Star and Hall of Fame pitching as it seems to be the case every year. I've tried numerous sliders here on OS as well as many of my own. I've bounced back between All-Star and Hall of Fame difficulties for pitching but I just can't seem to find a good balance this year. I'd really like to have my sliders at least semi-finalized by the time OSFM drop, which hopefully will be this weekend.

Anyway, to the point of this thread, is there anywhere (other than the brief explanation we get in the game) on OS or anywhere for that matter that specifically explains what each slider does in great detail? Some are self explanatory but I'd like a more in depth explanation/description.

My trouble each year seems to be that I have difficulty getting realistic strikeout totals against the CPU on Hall of Fame and I don't issue quite enough walks, although the latter is a bit less of an issue to me.

What's the best slider to adjust to get the CPU to swing and miss more? I would assume timing would be the slider to adjust here but won't that also affect how well they make contact with the ball, therefore resulting in fewer hits? It seems that every slider affects another, which is why I really don't like to tweak them very much at all.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 12:47 AM   #2
All Star

OVR: 0
Re: Sliders explained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
If there's already a post like this my apologies. But once again I'm finding myself in the land of slider purgatory. Stuck between All-Star and Hall of Fame pitching as it seems to be the case every year. I've tried numerous sliders here on OS as well as many of my own. I've bounced back between All-Star and Hall of Fame difficulties for pitching but I just can't seem to find a good balance this year. I'd really like to have my sliders at least semi-finalized by the time OSFM drop, which hopefully will be this weekend.

Anyway, to the point of this thread, is there anywhere (other than the brief explanation we get in the game) on OS or anywhere for that matter that specifically explains what each slider does in great detail? Some are self explanatory but I'd like a more in depth explanation/description.

My trouble each year seems to be that I have difficulty getting realistic strikeout totals against the CPU on Hall of Fame and I don't issue quite enough walks, although the latter is a bit less of an issue to me.

What's the best slider to adjust to get the CPU to swing and miss more? I would assume timing would be the slider to adjust here but won't that also affect how well they make contact with the ball, therefore resulting in fewer hits? It seems that every slider affects another, which is why I really don't like to tweak them very much at all.

Have you tired DD? In the past I have always found all star pitching to easy at default but HOF to hard has the CPU hits ever thing and it is hard to locate pitches on HOF. Hitting in most years I have found Veteran to easy but all star to hard on Default. I have heard a lot of people saying good things about DD and like you I would like to start franchise as soon has those roster come out plus in like 8 days or so NBA playoffs start and then I don't have time to play video games for like a good month lol. Yeah I think timing helps to increase strike outs but also makes the CPU not have has many hard hit balls. In the past I would either play on all star with my pitching sliders down a little or on HOF with the CPU hitting down some and with my pitching up some. I do know there is a break down some where or there at least was at some point in time of the sliders but I don't know how to find it. With being between like all star and HOF maybe if you do DD and get to all star+ that would be good for you.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:13 AM   #3
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I'd like to offer my interpretation of a few of them.

Timing - Window of forgiveness swinging on early pitches to make contact with a ball or square up a ball.
Solid Hits - Window of squaring up a ball when not lined up with it, or with pitches away from the middle of the plate.
Foul - How often balls that are hit are out of play.
Pitcher Control - How well/often pitchers are able to paint the white.
Pitcher Consistency - How well/often pitchers are able to paint the black.
Fielder Reaction - Acceleration rating, or more like the time it takes for them to start their first step toward the ball.
Fielder Speed - Max running speed rating.
Wind - A ceiling setting for how fast you wind could possibly blow in a game. Would not affect the wind in-game, only before the game.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-09-2015, 01:31 AM   #4
All Star

I could be wrong but I think the higher you have contact the more forgiving the PCI is and the lower the less forgiving it is.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:37 AM   #5
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Have you tired DD? In the past I have always found all star pitching to easy at default but HOF to hard has the CPU hits ever thing and it is hard to locate pitches on HOF. Hitting in most years I have found Veteran to easy but all star to hard on Default. I have heard a lot of people saying good things about DD and like you I would like to start franchise as soon has those roster come out plus in like 8 days or so NBA playoffs start and then I don't have time to play video games for like a good month lol. Yeah I think timing helps to increase strike outs but also makes the CPU not have has many hard hit balls. In the past I would either play on all star with my pitching sliders down a little or on HOF with the CPU hitting down some and with my pitching up some. I do know there is a break down some where or there at least was at some point in time of the sliders but I don't know how to find it. With being between like all star and HOF maybe if you do DD and get to all star+ that would be good for you.
Dynamic Difficulty constantly adjusts (unless you set the slider at 0). I'm not really into that. There should be a point with a difficulty setting that results in realistic stats and gameplay. I'm about as good as I'm going to get at the game after about eight years with the game.

Streaming on Twitch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2015, 01:40 AM   #6
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

Also, I just played a game on Hall of Fame with my pitch accuracy all the way down and pitch consistency on just one click. All of the CPU's hitting sliders were at default. I pitched with Jake Arrietta against the St. Louis Cardinals. I struck out eight (six with Arrietta, one with Strop, and one with Rondon) and issued four walks. This was really the kind of game I'd like to see. But I'd still like to get my strikeouts up a bit.

Also, for anyone who says that analog pitching makes it too easy to hit locations, you haven't tried it enough. At least not with pitch accuracy and pitch consistency down.

Streaming on Twitch
Old 04-09-2015, 01:50 AM   #7
All Star

Quote:
Dynamic Difficulty constantly adjusts (unless you set the slider at 0). I'm not really into that. There should be a point with a difficulty setting that results in realistic stats and gameplay. I'm about as good as I'm going to get at the game after about eight years with the game.

Yeah but it sounds like you are kind of in between difficulties so that could maybe help you to get to like all star + witch is harder then all star but easier then HOF. I tend to always have this problem on sports games where one difficulty is to hard and the next one is to easy.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:53 AM   #8
All Star

Quote:
Also, I just played a game on Hall of Fame with my pitch accuracy all the way down and pitch consistency on just one click. All of the CPU's hitting sliders were at default. I pitched with Jake Arrietta against the St. Louis Cardinals. I struck out eight (six with Arrietta, one with Strop, and one with Rondon) and issued four walks. This was really the kind of game I'd like to see. But I'd still like to get my strikeouts up a bit.

Also, for anyone who says that analog pitching makes it too easy to hit locations, you haven't tried it enough. At least not with pitch accuracy and pitch consistency down.

I don't think it is easy to pitch with any control set up on HOF. If you played with your pitch accuracy and consistency like that on HOF man you are good!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »