Home

'14 Veteran vs. All-Star Batting

This is a discussion on '14 Veteran vs. All-Star Batting within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Pro

kcsam's Arena

OVR: 1
'14 Veteran vs. All-Star Batting

Does anyone know what the differences are in moving up from Veteran to All-Star in batting? Is it just that the AI is dumbed down at the Veteran level and amped up a bit more on All-Star?

Hopefully someone has some info on which level actually produces the most realistic results based off the player's rating/skill.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 AM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: '14 Veteran vs. All-Star Batting

I remember B Ma mentioning that there is some substantial change in AI between Veteran and All-star, mainly that CPU on Veteran doesn't "learn" much of your tendency, so he keeps making the same mistake and/or doesn't exploit your weakness much.

If you are good enough at the game and wish CPU to have a more realistic brain, then I think the minimum difficulty level is All-star.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
Pro

kcsam's Arena

Great feedback as always, Nomo. Thank you.

I'm going to have to just suck it up, I guess, and learn to hit on All-star. My .230 avg is a tough to swallow, but I can't bring myself to play at a dumbed down level just to increase my numbers. That and I need to learn how to not swing at sliders down and away and the nasty curve in the dirt.
Old 04-18-2015, 01:30 AM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
Great feedback as always, Nomo. Thank you.

I'm going to have to just suck it up, I guess, and learn to hit on All-star. My .230 avg is a tough to swallow, but I can't bring myself to play at a dumbed down level just to increase my numbers. That and I need to learn how to not swing at sliders down and away and the nasty curve in the dirt.
As someone who used to consistently hit below .200, hitting on Veteran actually is a good exercise for cultivating discipline. Even though you know you can sit on fat fastballs close to down the middle when CPU pitcher gets behind, you still have to lay off pitches that you are not looking for... and Veteran I think provides a good exercise to concentrate on swinging at very hittable pitches.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:37 AM   #5
Pro

kcsam's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
As someone who used to consistently hit below .200, hitting on Veteran actually is a good exercise for cultivating discipline. Even though you know you can sit on fat fastballs close to down the middle when CPU pitcher gets behind, you still have to lay off pitches that you are not looking for... and Veteran I think provides a good exercise to concentrate on swinging at very hittable pitches.
I'm back in spring training for the '15 season and still hitting around my season avg from last year. Just can't seem to get above that .240 mark. So you'd suggest moving down to Veteran to hone in on my plate discipline? Maybe I'll give that a shot for the remainder of spring training and see how things look. I just hate to dumb down the pitchers to solely suit my needs. Let me think about this..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #6
Pro

kcsam's Arena

Well, I eventually dropped to .165 with 1 hr and 8 RBI thru 135 ABs. I made the switch back to Veteran last night because All-Star just wasn't working. Was stroking out at least 1 time a game (mostly 2 times a game and even a few 3 times).

It seems on Veteran the pitcher is still hitting his marks, but I am able to locate the ball better. Almost as if the pitching speed is a tab slower (although it's not - currently set on 2 using Nomo's CPU sliders from last year).

Either way, it seems like I am going to stick to Veteran for a while and see where that takes me. I wish I could hit on All-Star so I would be getting a more "true sim" like experience from the pitchers, but I am just not able to succeed at that level at this point.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:27 AM   #7
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcsam
Well, I eventually dropped to .165 with 1 hr and 8 RBI thru 135 ABs. I made the switch back to Veteran last night because All-Star just wasn't working. Was stroking out at least 1 time a game (mostly 2 times a game and even a few 3 times).

It seems on Veteran the pitcher is still hitting his marks, but I am able to locate the ball better. Almost as if the pitching speed is a tab slower (although it's not - currently set on 2 using Nomo's CPU sliders from last year).

Either way, it seems like I am going to stick to Veteran for a while and see where that takes me. I wish I could hit on All-Star so I would be getting a more "true sim" like experience from the pitchers, but I am just not able to succeed at that level at this point.
I would just use Dynamic Difficulty for a while to let the game figure out the difficulty level on which you generate the realistic amount of offense.
Old 04-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #8
Pro

kcsam's Arena

You think Dynamic's better than going straight Veteran until I am a bit better hitting in RTTS?

I'm up to .219 now, but it's not as easy as I thought it would be. I'm not striking out as much - nowhere near as much, but I am also not KILLING it either.

Did you use the same CPU vs CPU sliders when you were actually playing rather than watching? And did you play on All-Star batting?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »