Home

Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

This is a discussion on Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-01-2015, 12:40 AM   #25
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27
Re: Classic Pitching Questions and Discussion Thread 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck
No guarantee here. But my opinion is that when say pitching low and away with a 2seamer, everyone is not Greg Maddux thus some have greater vibration when placing the pitch there indicating they may miss their spot. Vs. Aiming it just slightly down and away no vibration and then out of the zone crazy vibration.

In pitching practice with pitch icons on, it is obvious that some pitchers have a larger zero vibration pitch location. Also, try placing a curve inside the zone but top corner, it vibrates more than a slider placed out of the zone on break side.

All I know is vibration rate varies per pitcher and pitch and zone being aimed at, but all vibrate inside the zone. And of course all vibrate if aimed outside strike zone. 4seamer dead middle never vibrates and you can always hit the spot. To me this says vibration means possibility of missing, greater vibration greater possibility. This is just observation from hours upon hours in pitching practice.
And to add to this, as well as my previous post, notice how the vibration points within the zone increase as your pitcher tires and his confidence and stamina decreases.

It pretty clearly to me indicates that pitches within the vibration are much harder to control but as I said, I'm willing to be proven wrong.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 01:36 AM   #26
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
Thanks for the feedback.

My experience with the interface has resulted in a pretty clear picture that balls aimed outside of the vibration point are largely less reliable than ones aimed inside it, but this is an observation of mine which noting has has helped me succeed. Which is ultimately what this thread is about.

I started (and when I didn't I participated largely in) these threads because several years ago, I begged SCEA for a tutorial on how Classic Pitching worked because I was frustrated that an interface so simple could be such a huge enigma without any kind of tutorial or explanation of any kind being available.

So I praciticed and studied and made it a mission to share my observations to help others that were struggling just like I used to. Hint: Do a search on people mystified by Classic. There's a lot of them.

Being a former Community Day invitee, I should be more careful in labeling my observations as such and not label them as facts. I never had a chance to ask about this specific topic.

But I'm certain in what I'm seeing so I share these things with people as a PSA of sorts. But you are correct. This is my opinion and I easily could be wrong or at least proven as such.

Thanks for the note.
I like you stayed silent for a long spell until recently. I now feel I found at least what works for me. The interface is not explained and I agree it takes tons of time to learn.

I too found that as you stated the low to no vibration locations shrink with fatigue and do to me seem to affect location consistency and accuracy.

One thing to note is slightly moving say a sweeping curve down and away places it on the lower corner black. So, good pitchers can hit the corners without vibration upon setting location.

To me the biggest and only way to understand this vibration location stuff is practicing with classic pitch and then trail pitch icons set on. (I play franchise without the pitching icons on because I like the greater challenge) Then one knows exactly where the vibration begins. Again some guys can put a pitch in a low outside corner and others can not without a slight vibration.

Hero, I believe you have this dead on in how you explained it. As soon as reading your posts on this, it was like yep that is what happens and the way to explain it.

I would be sceptical of this except every pitcher is different and the vibration within the zone varies and fatigue affects the no vibration zone size. Also none of this means a pitcher can not hit a location dead on even if it is placed in a vibration location. They are just less consistent in doing so. And of course some pitch types obviously miss locations more than other type pitches.

Like Hero just my opinion and what works for me. The less velocity and location vibration the better early innings go. Of course once confidence fills and if a lead is had things change. And obviously changing up locations matters, just like real life predictabillity in pitching is bad for a pitcher. Exluding maybe Rivera's cutter and Wainwright's curve. Some pitches are so nasty the catcher could call for it with a blow-horn and most mortals could not hit it.

All ball players may not be mere mortals though, as once said in regard to The Say Hey Kid.
"The first thing one must come to realise about him (Willie Mays), is that he actually exists."
Old 05-01-2015, 04:09 PM   #27
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I have always used Classic Pitching in consort with API: Default on All Star...

On that level, you go with the catcher's call on pitch and side of the plate location...but the "virtual glove" that shows exact desired location is invisible...it only shows up on the lower levels...

Any other takers on this approach?

Do you think that the API Catcher's call gives an advantage to the HUM controlled pitcher?
Old 05-01-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
I have always used Classic Pitching in consort with API: Default on All Star...

On that level, you go with the catcher's call on pitch and side of the plate location...but the "virtual glove" that shows exact desired location is invisible...it only shows up on the lower levels...

Any other takers on this approach?

Do you think that the API Catcher's call gives an advantage to the HUM controlled pitcher?
I play All-Star as well and go by catchers hand singles. I do sometimes "shake him off" when it just seems another pitch maybe is better.

I think the API is pretty useful. Like you I play with the "virtual glove" not visible as it seems to take away from the game. I do have some tips if anyone wants to turn API off and still let catcher call your game.

They are not certainties just what I have expierienced. I will find them and post them shortly.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:22 PM   #29
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

I keep the API on and use the suggestions probably 90+% of the time. I can't really say if it makes the game easier or not. I guess it depends on how good you are at calling your own game.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 PM   #30
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

Like many I play with pitch calling off. This takes away the glove icon and pitch selection flash.

The catcher however, still uses finger calls and sometimes taps a thigh or knee asking for a pitch on that side. Or his glove indicating keep it in the zone. (My opinions not set facts)

As Armor and Swords noted
1 finger = X
2 fingers = O
3 fingers =△
4 fingers = ▢

I believe:
4 fingers flashed/shaken = R1

If you have a fifth pitch shaking 4 fingers or 4 fingers then hand closed 4 again is asking for that pitch (pitch five R1). I could be wrong about the game but in softball if a girl I am catching has five pitches (*note) , I was taught the following.

1 = fastball
2 = usually rise ball
3 = change
4 = breaking ball
4 flashed twice or shaken = sinker or second style change

This is because you NEVER EVER should use your thumb calling pitches as it can be used to indicate location. Though it is simply not used at all in The Show., which is as it should really be.

If you notice in the game sometimes they flash four/shake it. I think this is indicating pitch five. Because sometimes you get just a regular four called.
I could be completely wrong. This is just a thought as that would mirror exactly what I was taught as a catcher. Though again I play softball and all catchers do not use the exact same calls. Though what I listed is pretty standard and was same from USA youth camp and University of Arizona Camp (Jennie Finch was there and if have kids in AZ it is the best softball camp ever!) and my High School team coaches do it the same.

Also tapping the thigh is calling for the pitch that side but in the zone. Tapping the knee is pitch that side out of the zone. Or so it goes as I was taught. What it could mean in the game is low or high but that should not be the case as height should be determined by what the pitch is and where the catcher places their glove. Examples: A fastball could be either high or low and would not be called but known by glove placement. A change is always low!
Since you pick a spot in game the glove placement is determined by you. Thus I believe thigh is that side in zone, knee is that side out of zone attempting to get hitter to chase, just as we do it in U19 softabll.

Again I am not certain about all this just what I think and what would seem to make sense from my quest (hours and hours of just practicing and trying things) to have the best pitching rotation possible.

Last edited by SpritePuck; 05-01-2015 at 04:32 PM.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #31
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpritePuck
I believe: 4 fingers flashed/shaken = R1

If you have a fifth pitch shaking 4 fingers or 4 fingers then hand closed 4 again is asking for that pitch (pitch five R1). I could be wrong about the game but in softball if a girl I am catching has five pitches (*note) , I was taught the following.

1 = fastball
2 = usually rise ball
3 = change
4 = breaking ball
4 flashed twice or shaken = sinker or second style change

If you notice in the game sometimes they flash four/shake it. I think this is indicating pitch five. Because sometimes you get just a regular four called.
I could be completely wrong. This is just a thought as that would mirror exactly what I was taught as a catcher.

Also tapping the thigh is calling for the pitch that side but in the zone. Tapping the knee is pitch that side out of the zone. Or so it goes as I was taught. What it could mean in the game is low or high but that should not be the case as height should be determined by what the pitch is and where the catcher places their glove. Examples: A fastball could be either high or low and would not be called but known by glove placement. A change is always low!
AWESOME POST!

Right or wrong, I'm def going to incorporate the "4 fingers shaken" pitch selection and "thigh tap / knee tap" location suggestions into my play style...

I use the "clean screen" like A&S, so there's no flashing icon, etc...I read the catcher's signs...

Also:

I used to think that the clenched fist was for Pitch #5 OR possibly just a fastball thrown HARD...

Any thoughts on the clenched fist?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by KingV2k3; 05-01-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #32
Rookie

SpritePuck's Arena

It is hard to say what amount of animation is pitch calling by the catcher and just cosmetic animation from the art department.

Like when a three say curve is called for a right handed pitcher. If the catcher taps left thigh then right, this would mean he wants it to start outside of the zone left and break across the plate into the zone.

I am pretty sure some of itis just animation though and these type calls are not being made. Yet, they do not seem to ever ask for something impossible. Example right hander throwing a slider tap right thight then left. This would mean start out of zone and break back in against the break. But they never ask for this. As far as I have seen, all catcher animated pitch calls can be followed.

Not sure what will happen if they are all followed but I will start a new franchise (not willing to risk it on my current one as we may make the playoffs) and let my catcher call all pitches and do what he asks according to my understanding of pitch calling.

If they call anything that is simply not possible, example calls that ask for a pitch to break the wrong way, it will confirm this is just animations. So, far all location asks are specific to pitch break and handedness but I have only the last say ten games really been watching more than just the number of fingers.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »