Home

not walking anyone

This is a discussion on not walking anyone within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Banned

OVR: 20
not walking anyone

Disclosures: Classic pitching; I play every game; I do not use Quick-Counts and that is not an acceptable solution.

--------

Haven't had an issue with this for the past couple years but it seems to be back. 52 games played and I've allowed 60 walks, next closest team has 107. I could literally walk the next 46 batters I face and I'd still be best in the league.

It's a weird problem because it's not like I want to walk people, but I don't know what I can do short of turning every pitch into a dice roll and completely crippling my ability to be accurate. Even then, I played my last game with pitcher consistency at zero (not fun) and I still only walked one guy, and that came on my starter's last batter faced when he had thrown over 100 pitches.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone putting up decent-to-average BB numbers? What's your secret?

Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: not walking anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Disclosures: Classic pitching; I play every game; I do not use Quick-Counts and that is not an acceptable solution.

--------

Haven't had an issue with this for the past couple years but it seems to be back. 52 games played and I've allowed 60 walks, next closest team has 107. I could literally walk the next 46 batters I face and I'd still be best in the league.

It's a weird problem because it's not like I want to walk people, but I don't know what I can do short of turning every pitch into a dice roll and completely crippling my ability to be accurate. Even then, I played my last game with pitcher consistency at zero (not fun) and I still only walked one guy, and that came on my starter's last batter faced when he had thrown over 100 pitches.

I'm at a bit of a loss. Anyone putting up decent-to-average BB numbers? What's your secret?

Thanks.
I play on hall of fame with human control at 5 and consistency at 3 and walk plenty of guys.

It's not as easy to pitch to contact on that level so you nibble more which often leads to more walks.

Also with control at 5 it seems when I do miss its not in the strike zone as much with it at a lower value.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Have you thought about upping the difficulty? Or at the very least, upping the CPU's ability to hit (which can also be done by not only raising CPU hitting sliders, but dropping Human Control)?

You'd be surprised how often walks occur not because the pitcher can't throw a strike (have you ever seen MLB strike frequency percentages on 3-0 counts), but because the pitcher fears the hitter and pitches carefully.

I'd hedge all my bets that if the CPU was regularly whooping you, you'd walk more guys due to various factors.

Could you share your Difficulty/Sliders/Pitching stats?
Old 05-09-2015, 12:10 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

I've been running default All-Star for pitching, but you guys are kinda both saying the same thing: it's that I don't fear the hitters enough so I'm pounding the zone 95% of the time instead of the 65-75% of the time like I probably should be. It's the first thing I thought of too after starting this thread tbh. Guess it's time to try HOF.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
I've been running default All-Star for pitching, but you guys are kinda both saying the same thing: it's that I don't fear the hitters enough so I'm pounding the zone 95% of the time instead of the 65-75% of the time like I probably should be. It's the first thing I thought of too after starting this thread tbh. Guess it's time to try HOF.
If HOF is too hard, consider using Dynamic Difficulty and tweaking sliders once your level stabilizes.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2015, 01:53 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

How many hits do you give up?

and how many K's do you get?

Need more details to properly give advice.

If you are giving up a lot of hits and few walks/strikeouts, then you probably need to be a little "finer".

If you are giving up a normal amount of hits, few walks and few strikeouts...adjust consistency by one click and CPU foul frequency by one click.

If you are giving up few hits, few walks, and getting lots of K's, then play on legend
Old 05-09-2015, 02:05 PM   #7
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

It sounds extreme, but i play with ctr 1 and const 1. A&S, hybrid QC, and i have fld spd 3 nd rea 6, fld throw speed at 4. Ive played nearly 40 games this way
Old 05-09-2015, 02:31 PM   #8
MVP

awffltony77's Arena

And for what its worth, every series I switch the pitching view to the home teams custom camera. This makes a difference (to me anyways), as I certainly pitch better in some parks than others.

I tweaked everything I could think of (which threw me way off, because I usually open the game, plug in Armors numbers and never think about it again), as I was having some of the same issues.

After shadowing the posts in that "Classic Pitching Discussion" I learned a great deal, and 1-1 ended up working perfect for me..

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »