Home

CPU swing and miss?

This is a discussion on CPU swing and miss? within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
CPU swing and miss?

Seriously this year the CPU rarely ever chases pitches or do they swing through well placed fastballs early in counts.

This is not a thread on strikeouts. My K numbers are 7 per 9 innings and my team era and walks are solid. I play on HOF with Psychos sliders. The only changes I made were to human control 5.

The game is playing so well except for this one huge area of concern. Typically I can get them to miss 10-15 times a game but most of them are for strikeouts.

They make contact on everything in the zone and will not swing outside the zone unless it's a crappy player with two strikes.

Any suggestions guys? And please once again this isn't about strikeouts. This is more about finding a way to make the CPU miss more often, especially early in counts.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2015, 07:14 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: CPU swing and miss?

I don't think there's any way to simply adjust the whiff rate in early counts. Things you can adjust in that aspect tends to affect things more globally.

If you are getting realistic K rate, however, I'm not sure why you are feeling things aren't realistic.

Good hitters really shouldn't be whiffing too much in early counts, as that means they aren't swinging at pitches that they are looking for. They chase a lot more in behind counts only because they have to protect.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
Rookie

Thumbs up Re: CPU swing and miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I don't think there's any way to simply adjust the whiff rate in early counts. Things you can adjust in that aspect tends to affect things more globally.

If you are getting realistic K rate, however, I'm not sure why you are feeling things aren't realistic.

Good hitters really shouldn't be whiffing too much in early counts, as that means they aren't swinging at pitches that they are looking for. They chase a lot more in behind counts only because they have to protect.

I have to disagree with you Nomo. I've watched plenty of baseball to know players tend to swing and miss in all sorts of counts. I've watched Miguel Cabrera for years and even he misses fastballs once or twice a game in the zone.

The cpu makes too much contact compared to user.
Old 05-09-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by topside
I have to disagree with you Nomo. I've watched plenty of baseball to know players tend to swing and miss in all sorts of counts. I've watched Miguel Cabrera for years and even he misses fastballs once or twice a game in the zone.

The cpu makes too much contact compared to user.
I think it is a matter of degree though... I didn't mean that they never miss in early counts. In general, hitters whiff more when they are behind.

But it also depends on approach, which totally complicates things and something we don't really have control over CPU.

For example, Cabrera whiffs on 8.3% of 4SFB with no-strike counts but 10.7% with two-strike counts... Trout on the other hand whiffs on 2.7% with no-strike but 11.9% with two-strike counts. (The data courtesy of brooksbaseball.net).

When I play, I actually tend to whiff much less than CPU does, since I try hard not to swing at pitches that I'm not looking for at all. We don't really have control over that kind of CPU tendencies.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:33 PM   #5
Rookie

Icon11 Re: CPU swing and miss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I think it is a matter of degree though... I didn't mean that they never miss in early counts. In general, hitters whiff more when they are behind.

But it also depends on approach, which totally complicates things and something we don't really have control over CPU.

For example, Cabrera whiffs on 8.3% of 4SFB with no-strike counts but 10.7% with two-strike counts... Trout on the other hand whiffs on 2.7% with no-strike but 11.9% with two-strike counts. (The data courtesy of brooksbaseball.net).

When I play, I actually tend to whiff much less than CPU does, since I try hard not to swing at pitches that I'm not looking for at all. We don't really have control over that kind of CPU tendencies.

That's true. The weird thing is when using quick counts I see more swings and misses than an actual full gameplay. My thinking is it might tie down to the starters K ratings also. Most of them have really low ratings compared to bullpen pitchers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
Banned

OVR: 0

Foul Frequency will help you. Drop it by a click or two for the CPU. That should help. It won't necessarily increase CPU chases, but more swing and miss altogether.

You might need to increase difficulty to Legend if you find yourself getting too many K's
Old 05-10-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 24

Lowering CPU Timing by 1 point will probably do exactly this.

It will also affect your overall strikeout totals, though. As nomo said, there's absolutely no way around that. If you want to, you can lower Human Pitch Control by 1 point as a counter-balance, but then you run the risk of accomplishing absolutely nothing overall, and creating a few other side effects.

I also echo nomo's questions/concerns as to the validity of your entire concern. If you're getting a realistic number of strikeouts, AND you're getting a realistic strike percentage and walk rate, then it is very, very likely you are also, already, getting a realistic whiff rate.

But it's your game. If you'd be happier with more whiffs, than go whiff her up. At the end of the day, your satisfaction and happiness should be the only thing that really matters.
Old 05-11-2015, 03:37 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobhead
Lowering CPU Timing by 1 point will probably do exactly this.

It will also affect your overall strikeout totals, though. As nomo said, there's absolutely no way around that. If you want to, you can lower Human Pitch Control by 1 point as a counter-balance, but then you run the risk of accomplishing absolutely nothing overall, and creating a few other side effects.

I also echo nomo's questions/concerns as to the validity of your entire concern. If you're getting a realistic number of strikeouts, AND you're getting a realistic strike percentage and walk rate, then it is very, very likely you are also, already, getting a realistic whiff rate.

But it's your game. If you'd be happier with more whiffs, than go whiff her up. At the end of the day, your satisfaction and happiness should be the only thing that really matters.
Honestly it's killing the game for me. To each their own but I find pitching extremely boring when basically every pitcher I have out there becomes a contact pitcher. What fun can I have if I never get them to swing through a fastball?

Adjusting sliders wouldn't be ideal IMO. I was thinking maybe there was something I'm doing wrong with classic pitching even though my stats for pitching are pretty solid across the board.

Even on HOF with everything at default the CPU offense can be somewhat stagnant at times. That's why I don't want to play with timing or contact.

Right now I'm averaging about 10 misses a game from the CPU. I'd say at least 6 of them are usually for K's. Just pitched with Johnny Cueto and in 8inn, I got them to miss only 6 pitches to go along with 4 strikeouts. He allowed 2 runs and 6 hits, 2 walks.

I did try lowering foul freq to 3 and it didn't seem to do too much.

Thanks for your help guys. Greatly appreciated but this is hurting my overall game experience. I can look over a lot of things but not getting the CPU to miss or even chase more makes pitching unrealistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »