Home

Pitcher stamina sliders

This is a discussion on Pitcher stamina sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Pitcher stamina sliders

I've been doing some testing with these sliders and how they affect simulated games/stats. Ct30 has tested as well and we found that you definitely want to have SP AND RP stamina slider at 0 for any games simmed.

This lowers the amount of complete games a SP has for a season along with innings pitched for all pitchers to a more realistic amount. And yes, these sliders (only ones I noticed) affect sim stats; compare if needed.

I've actually found in games played SP slider at 6 is best. RP still at 0 for both Human and Cpu.

During games simmed you want both, SP and RP stamina at 0.

I've really kept close eye on stamina ratings and compared how much energy the simulated pitcher has vs the pitcher playing.

I found that SP stamina at 6 for games played is the best setting to equal with a simulated pitcher with SP stamina slider at 0.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg

Last edited by DarthRambo; 07-23-2015 at 11:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-06-2015, 01:27 PM   #2
Permanently Banned

nomo17k's Arena

OVR: 38
Re: Pitcher stamina sliders

I agree with Stamina sliders set to 0 yielding the stats most closely aligned with the current MLB trends (i.e., very few CGs, relievers not pitching more than 1 IP per appearance, etc.).

I'd be wary of lowering Starter Stamina too much for gameplay, though, because it will affect the effectiveness of starting pitchers in 5th - 7th innings, when his energy goes low. Unless Manager Hook is adjusted accordingly, starters might be left in too long when he really should be pulled.
Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

I have manager hook at 5. Quintana of the White Sox just pitched a CG against me. He was out of energy at pitch 99. But was able to finish cuz thet had a 5-0 lead in the 6th. He ended with 123 pitches. Yes, a little high maybe?? But I thought it was reasonable to let him go for the CG with the big lead.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 06-06-2015 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:19 AM   #4
All Star

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I've been doing some testing with these sliders and how they affect simulated games/stats. Ct30 has tested as well and we found that you definitely want to have SP AND RP stamina slider at 0.

This lowers the amount of complete games a SP has for a season along with innings pitched for all pitchers to a more realistic amount. And yes, these sliders (only ones I noticed) affect sim stats; compare if needed.

Well now I feel even in games played the SP stamina slider set at 0 yields more realistic pitch counts. I already had RP stamina at 0.

In a game I'm playing right now I have Arrieta on the mound for the Cubs. He is rated a 72 for stamina. At 76 pitches I got the notice that he's getting tired. At 96 pitches energy bar is empty.

For his rating that seems right imo...just want to see what you slider gurus think and wanted to make everyone aware of how those sliders particularly affect sim stats.

I don't know about sim games but I think for playing games starter stamina has to be at 6 or 7. At 5 even pitchers with high stamina cant have games where they throw like 110 pitches and are like gassed before 100 so I could never imagine having it below 5.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:38 AM   #5
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSalsa
I've been doing some testing with these sliders and how they affect simulated games/stats. Ct30 has tested as well and we found that you definitely want to have SP AND RP stamina slider at 0.

Well now I feel even in games played the SP stamina slider set at 0 yields more realistic pitch counts. I already had RP stamina at 0.

In a game I'm playing right now I have Arrieta on the mound for the Cubs. He is rated a 72 for stamina. At 76 pitches I got the notice that he's getting tired. At 96 pitches energy bar is empty.

For his rating that seems right imo...just want to see what you slider gurus think and wanted to make everyone aware of how those sliders particularly affect sim stats.

I started doing this a couple years ago when Im simming all the other games in franchise mode, I also bump up the hook slider to 7 for the those games as well.

Just want to remember to turn them back up for played games. I tend to play with reliever at 2 and depending on what roster Im using in franchise, I will bump up starter to 6 for myself. Hook slider I have at 6 for games played.

This has always been a issue with MLBTS where there is too many complete games for starters, as well as some relievers seeing to many games as well. Its not as bad with relievers as it use to be, MLBTS10 was basically junk because relievers were seeing way too many games, but thanks to Knight they changed that in 11, so sliders affected the sim games in franchise mode.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2015, 11:58 AM   #6
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

Yeah SP stamina at 4 for games played seems really good to me. Now I alternate games where I hit only and next game I only pitch. So it'll be tricky but I'll do it.

Just pitched a game with Bumgarner and at 130 pitches his energy bar was empty. I just wanted to see how many it took so left him in even though I shouldn't have. He was effective up to about 105-110.

Last edited by DarthRambo; 06-07-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #7
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Good call, I'll definitely make this change for my sim sliders.

Watch me play video games
Old 06-08-2015, 07:37 PM   #8
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5

This is a really good find. I've been following Willard's thread pretty closely, and I saw the amount of effort you put into sim testing. Cheers to your efforts.

On the subject of stamina settings in games played, I currently have my user Starter Stamina at 4, and Reliever Stamina set at 0. To me, this provides the most realism on a pitch count level. As I've stated in my slider thread, MOST pitchers will begin to tire around the 85-90 pitch threshold, and will run out of gas around the 100 pitch mark. This is typical of most MLB pitchers nowadays. You will have the occasional pitcher have that 120+ pitch complete game, because their confidence is high enough where the CPU manager will give them a little bit of rope to continue the game even though their stamina has reached zero. With relievers, I simply got tired of consistently seeing middle relievers go 3 innings with over 30-40 pitches. That really doesn't happen in real life, which is why I have Reliever Stamina set at zero. A common concern that I've heard about with that setting is the relievers lose their abilities to bounce back, and pitch on back-to-back to days. I think that a common way to avoid this is by utilizing your bullpen in a way that doesn't overtax guys....just like real-life.

In my experience, I feel that the stamina sliders have more of an affect rather than the Manager Hook sliders. I've seen my fair share of boneheaded managerial decisions, and that was mainly when I was adjusting the Manager Hook slider on its own. I currently have that slider set at 4, and coupled with my stamina settings, I get some pretty realistic results.

Just my two cents....

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »