Home

I still lean toward this style of play

This is a discussion on I still lean toward this style of play within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-19-2016, 03:57 PM   #1
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7
I still lean toward this style of play

Slider-itis, it gets the best of us. Whether it is combing through 100's of pages of material @ OS (nice job to all slider makers out there, lots of effort is put into it, I know) to tweaking this or that after every single game or series played.

I for one finally settled into Dynamic Level with all sliders @default. My key was moving that slider till 10 till i was at least at Veteran level and then moving it back to the center (5).

I ran a test franchise and used those 26-30 games as the test to find out where the "dynamic" level set me.

Once settled, I went ahead and started a new franchise and never looked back (no tweaks to sliders).

I know, I know, you all will say, " what about pitch speed, outfielder speed, baserunning speed, pitcher stamina etc."

The game is so good out of the box (trust the developers) and now I spend more time playing and watching the stats accumulate than tweaking.

I remember back to the MVP days from EA or Tony LaRussa's game on Sega; there were no sliders, and the games came close to mirroring the real thing. The Show is light years ahead of those titles so why now because sliders are available to us do we constantly strive for perfect gameplay? We all know that'll never happen, right?

Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-19-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: I still lean toward this style of play

I can understand where you are coming from with this. I made quite a few slider adjustments myself, but really, most of them are of the one click left or one click right variety. This is the first year I didn't feel I needed to do more than that. The only exception is pitch speed. I play with it at 7 (I used to run with 8, but I like the look of the break on pitches better with it one slower). I have a little nagging voice in my head that tells me that the developers work hard to balance the game each year and by tweaking too much...well, it can really take away from that balance. Who is to say that some of the complaints folks have about animation branching and such aren't due to these tweaks of sliders? I guess what I really mean is...the game is so close out of the box. We should enjoy it!

I believe Psychbulk (I believe that's his screen name) said something similar back around the release of the game...
Old 01-19-2016, 07:35 PM   #3
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: I still lean toward this style of play

Yup - it's all about personal preference. I found myself playing with slider set after slider set (alot of them ARE good) but then constantly wondering if my slumps/hot streaks etc. were because the sliders were off/setting my skill level so it was off to the next set and so on and so on.

I determined I'd play those 26-30 spring training games and UNLESS I saw something way way way out of the realm of possibility then I was going to stick with them. I never saw anything too crazy so I stuck with them -couldn't be happier.

IMO - The Show is my own virtual MLB and it gives me enough of the "real thing feel" that I was and am done with tweaking sliders. It's never going to mirror real life anyways so why put myself through the misery of finding perfection.

Not bashing slider makers, but after 5 yrs of this stuff I just couldn't stomach it anymore.

The only thing I am still on the fence with is classic or meter pitching. I am sold on both styles.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »