Home

Fenwaymac 2017 Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders

This is a discussion on Fenwaymac 2017 Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-20-2017, 11:20 PM   #41
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: Fenwaymac 2017 Variety Hitting and Scoring Sliders

Fenwaymac Variety Sliders 2.0 10-Game Update

Hey all, I have just crossed the 10-game threshold with the updates to the CPU sliders and I wanted to post the results. I am excited to share the data because I can honestly say that each and every game has been enjoyable, challenging, and varied in both score results and memorable plays, and I finally felt that the feel of the game just "clicked". I definitely will be sticking with this combination moving forward. Let me share some data after 10 games...

Percentages by hit type (MLB Avg 2012-2016, HUM, CPU)

MLB

1B- 66.8%
2B- 19.6%
3B- 2.10%
HR- 11.6%

HUM

1B - 65.2%
2B - 18.8%
3B - 1.5%
HR - 14.5%

CPU

1B - 62.9%
2B - 22.5%
3B - 1.1%
HR - 13.5%

Summary:

A reasonably small sample size messes with the variances slightly, although I have to say that these percentages have closed the gap with MLB average very quickly with only the small sample. The biggest change from the last set is the redistribution of CPU hit types. By adding a tick to power, the singles percentage dropped around 8% and that was promptly added to the doubles. The HR's remained in a nice range, slightly above league average, but still definitely within realistic range.

I was nervous that the extra boost would lead to a highly unrealistic number of triples and home runs, but have been happy with how these are working out. Very rarely does a game go by that does not fit have a reasonable spread of hit types.

Scoring Plays Variation

(these don't account for how many runs were scored, but rather the type of hit that scored the run)

HUM

1B- 26.7%
2B- 10.0%
3B- 3.3%
HR- 33.3%
SF- 20.0%
BB-0.00 %
Other (groundouts, errors, etc..) - 6.7%

CPU

1B- 32.3%
2B- 12.9%
3B- 3.2%
HR- 38.7%
SF- 3.23%
BB- 0.0%
Other (groundouts, errors, etc..) - 9.7%

Summary: : The scoring plays are definitely spread around. The could definitely use another 10 games to round out the stats, but overall the goal was to avoid runs generated by either a ridiculous run of singles, or a bunch of solo-shot home runs. This set has allowed for plenty of doubles, a couple triples, and a good amount of SF's (although I would like to see more from the CPU. No scores by walks in this sample, but they WILL happen.

Some other good numbers to report:

Hits Per Game Avg

MLB - 8.6
HUM - 6.9
CPU - 8.9

Summary: Nothing out of control to report. I started out strong but am in a bit of a hitting slump as of late. Increased contact and power have not affected the CPU much, as hits per game are right in range for them.

Strikeouts Per Game Avg

MLB- 7.7
HUM- 3.7
CPU- 6.7

Summary: One of the most difficult things to dial in each year in human strikeouts. A lot of this is just skill based. If you can get the PCI near the ball you will still likely get out, but with a chopper of flyout instead. I definitely have my bad games (mostly when the nasty offspeed stuff is coming out), but there are games when I make a lot of contact. At the end of the day, if the hits numbers and outs percentages are in line, I am willing to punt on human strikeouts. The CPU on the other hand is pretty decent, but also depends on your willingness to pitch a strategic game.

Base on Balls Average Per Game

MLB - 3.0
HUM- 3.1
CPU- 1.2

Summary: This is a particular point of pride for me as I am actually ABOVE league average in walks. I basically approach each game like walks are the most coveted stat in the game. If the count is 3-0 or 3-1, I am definitely not swinging. if they get it back to 3-2 it is anybody's game, and the beauty of the situation is that I also will tend to strike out more, which is also a coveted stat. This is a win win. Also, having the pitch control and consistency where they are at will create a lot more pitches that you will easily identify as going out of the zone. They will still throw paint, but not as often.

CPU walks is all based on my willingness to stay away from the zone, and I will say that when there are base runners, I am definitely NOT throwing down the middle. I have definitely had games where I have given up 3-4 walks, but also games where I only do 0-1. This is nothing a game setting will fix. It is human nature to want K's over walks, so most will throw over the plate hoping for a swing and miss instead. Higher CPU power will make you think twice about that though.

Game Scores

1-3
7-6
6-1
10-3
1-5
3-6
2-6
2-0
3-5
0-3

Summary: Other than dropping 6 of 10, the mixture of pitching duels, slug fests, and tight drama has been well distributed. I feel that the level of CPU "cheese" is well reduced this year and i have not seen any ridiculous comebacks or improbable hits to this point.

Let's see, what else...Basically the game just feels right for BOTH sides this time around. It is certainly a challenging set and you have to have patience on hitting and strategy on pitching, but the game also plays fair at the same time. I don't notice a lot of Legend level hijinx going on here, though I am certain these sliders are not immune to it.

Other setting changes...I upped the throwing errors to 6 and through 10 games there have been a combined 6 errors. It's better than default, but I'll let you decide where you want those set.

I also dropped the wind to 4. Wind certainly plays a role with long home runs...but so does player fatigue so it is your call where to set this, but results have been 1-3 combined home runs per game, so I am staying put.

I love this stuff, and will definitely check back in at 20 games. I am going to put out one more version (FenwayMac 2.0) in the vault and adjust post one if interested in updating. This will be the last changes (well, never say never I guess) cuz it's time to play ball!

Let me know how it goes!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2017, 12:36 AM   #42
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

OVR: 0

Do you move the PCI when you hit? I've recently tried using Zone as Directional just seems completely broken to me this year. The only thing I have noticed is that not moving the PCI seems to produce a decent amount of realistic hitting. Over two games, I hit more homeruns and extra base hits in one game than I did over the course of 8 games with Directional.

Just wondering how you approach Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 AM   #43
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
Do you move the PCI when you hit? I've recently tried using Zone as Directional just seems completely broken to me this year. The only thing I have noticed is that not moving the PCI seems to produce a decent amount of realistic hitting. Over two games, I hit more homeruns and extra base hits in one game than I did over the course of 8 games with Directional.

Just wondering how you approach Zone.

Hey! " Zone hitting technique tips for those struggling" is a thread that I made last year. I have no idea how to attach it here but I found it through Google. It lays out my entire at-bat approach if you want to check it out.

Essentially, I choose a quadrant of the zone pre-pitch and I loosely hover in that area. Looking at the batter hot zones before the first pitch as well as determining which field I am looking to hit to helps me determine where I should set the PCI.

If I limit my coverage of the strike zone then that allows me to focus less on moving the PCI and more on the timing of the swing instead. I will still move the PCI slightly within my quadrant to adjust for small adjustments within the area, but if it is not in my quadrant, I lay off and take a strike, because it was not MY strike. When you need to focus on the entire strike zone, placing the PCI AND getting proper timing, that is a lot of variables to nail down for a solid hit. By choosing a section of the strike zone and making tiny PCI adjustments, you essentially wait for your pitch and then focus on timing.

If I am at two strike count then I still start in my quadrant, but am more flexible about moving around to stay alive.

I also tend to lay off the high part of the strike zone. I really suck at catching up to high fastballs and end up popping out a bunch...great for sac flies though!
Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 PM   #44
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Hey! " Zone hitting technique tips for those struggling" is a thread that I made last year. I have no idea how to attach it here but I found it through Google. It lays out my entire at-bat approach if you want to check it out.

Essentially, I choose a quadrant of the zone pre-pitch and I loosely hover in that area. Looking at the batter hot zones before the first pitch as well as determining which field I am looking to hit to helps me determine where I should set the PCI.

If I limit my coverage of the strike zone then that allows me to focus less on moving the PCI and more on the timing of the swing instead. I will still move the PCI slightly within my quadrant to adjust for small adjustments within the area, but if it is not in my quadrant, I lay off and take a strike, because it was not MY strike. When you need to focus on the entire strike zone, placing the PCI AND getting proper timing, that is a lot of variables to nail down for a solid hit. By choosing a section of the strike zone and making tiny PCI adjustments, you essentially wait for your pitch and then focus on timing.

If I am at two strike count then I still start in my quadrant, but am more flexible about moving around to stay alive.

I also tend to lay off the high part of the strike zone. I really suck at catching up to high fastballs and end up popping out a bunch...great for sac flies though!

I'll go ahead and take a look at the thread and see if I can use the same technique myself. Thanks!

Old 04-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #45
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiziv
I'll go ahead and take a look at the thread and see if I can use the same technique myself. Thanks!

Cool man. Let me know how it goes and if I can help further!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2017, 12:53 AM   #46
Pro

Hey all,

Just had a chance to play my first game with the new patch and wanted to see how it affects the slider set. I have to say that i saw a LOT of good things come out of my game against the Yankees (including a walk-off solo shot that just barely cleared the monster).

First of all, the hit variety seems to have increased. I feel that the arc and velocity of the hits is WAY better and is displaying more blooping singles and majestic doubles, as well a some seeing-eye shots through the infield.

In regards to the infield hits, they appear to come off the bat slower, which is creating a more natural look and flow to the infield offense.

I had a couple down the line shots that actually lifted above and over 1B rather than rocketing past at 110 MPH.

I was a bit worried the power might drop off with the sliders bumped lower, but the Red Sox line had 8 singles, 2 doubles, and a HR, while NY had 7 singles, 2 doubles and a HR.

The only negatives to report are some funky new bat sound, and (maybe) a new catcher glove sound?? Game Play is great!

I also just crossed the 20-game milestone with the Fenwaymac 2.0 slider set and am very happy to report that the numbers continue to align nicely with the target percentage goals. Scoring plays also continue to distribute nicely!

I will post those numbers tomorrow, but wanted to give a quick update and also say thanks to those of you giving these a go! I welcome your feedback!
Old 04-26-2017, 01:16 AM   #47
Rookie

Noiziv's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
Hey all,

Just had a chance to play my first game with the new patch and wanted to see how it affects the slider set. I have to say that i saw a LOT of good things come out of my game against the Yankees (including a walk-off solo shot that just barely cleared the monster).

First of all, the hit variety seems to have increased. I feel that the arc and velocity of the hits is WAY better and is displaying more blooping singles and majestic doubles, as well a some seeing-eye shots through the infield.

In regards to the infield hits, they appear to come off the bat slower, which is creating a more natural look and flow to the infield offense.

I had a couple down the line shots that actually lifted above and over 1B rather than rocketing past at 110 MPH.

I was a bit worried the power might drop off with the sliders bumped lower, but the Red Sox line had 8 singles, 2 doubles, and a HR, while NY had 7 singles, 2 doubles and a HR.

The only negatives to report are some funky new bat sound, and (maybe) a new catcher glove sound?? Game Play is great!

I also just crossed the 20-game milestone with the Fenwaymac 2.0 slider set and am very happy to report that the numbers continue to align nicely with the target percentage goals. Scoring plays also continue to distribute nicely!

I will post those numbers tomorrow, but wanted to give a quick update and also say thanks to those of you giving these a go! I welcome your feedback!

Glad to see your slider set still rolling well! I went ahead and gave Zone a try for two games, and I just don't think it's for me. I didn't really have an issue when using Zone, PCI off, and not moving the left stick at all, as I produced a good 10+ hits and had a pair of homeruns (after having only a couple throughout 10 games). However, with the PCI on and actually trying to move it to look for pitches in certain zones just throws me off. I play on a 4k TV without game mode so I face some decent amount of input lag. This really gives me a struggle to time things up in the first place, and worrying about where the PCI is at just adds more to that struggle.

I feel like leaving the PCI in the middle with Zone on just doesn't give me enough control of where the ball will be hit, so I'm not really a fan of that method either. I love your results more than any other set on these forums, and I feel like you do some phenomenal testing that helps support your results. I really want to use them, but I'm afraid they won't work well with Directional. I've been hesitant to try due to Zone being very different, but I'd also like to know what you would suggest might need adjusting, even if you're not a Directional player yourself.

Again, though, your sets are by far my favorite. While I've always tended to use Armor's set due to it being the same difficulty and hitting technique that I use, since last year's game I've consistently gone back to yours to try and replicate your results.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:07 AM   #48
Pro

20-game hit type percentages:

Hey all, I had a cool graph that really shows how close these percentages are getting, but I have not idea how to embed the image, so instead I will just post the results below:

1B

MLB - 66.8%
HUM - 65.2% (-1.6%)
CPU - 65.4% (-1.4%)

2B

MLB - 19.6%
HUM - 18.7% (-0.9%)
CPU - 21.8% (+2.2%)

3B

MLB - 2.1%
HUM - 2.6% (+0.5%)
CPU - 2.2% (+0.1%)

HR

MLB - 11.6%
HUM - 13.6% (+2.0%)
CPU - 10.6% (-1.0%)

Summary: Closing the gap! All but CPU doubles are now falling within 2% of MLB average, and the mixture of hit types per games feels really natural and balanced. We'll keep a close eye on the power numbers post 1.04 patch, but the initial game with the patch showed a wider variety of hits types, while holding to the hit type percentage "bell curve". More to come!

Batting Avg:

MLB - .255
HUM - .233
CPU - .255

Summary: CPU has hit league average on the head. I have been pressing a bit at the plate to the tune of a 8-12 start, but have hit much better in the last few games. I will close the gap soon.

Scoring Hit Type:

HUM:

1B - 27.9%
2B - 13.1%
3B - 3.3%
HR - 32.8%
SF - 9.8%
BB - 3.3%
Other - 9.8%

CPU

1B - 30.2%
2B - 12.7%
3B - 4.7%
HR - 33.3%
SF - 4.8%
BB - 3.2%
Other - 11.1%

Overall 20-game impression: I definitely am happy with the results. Games are varied an enjoyable. Errors continue to be a little on the low side (.3 per game vs .6 per game mlb average), but everything else feels really good and is playing out nicely.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »