Home

BYU 14's "Old Guy" quick count sliders for The Show 17

This is a discussion on BYU 14's "Old Guy" quick count sliders for The Show 17 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-09-2017, 11:49 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: BYU 14's "Old Guy" quick count sliders for The Show 17

First two games in re-launched Yankee franchise with the OSFM rosters

Game 1
New York 5-7-0 LP Tanaka 0-1, 5IP, 8H, 6ER, 1BB, 7K
Tampa Bay 6-9-0 WP Archer 1-0, 6IP 5H, 4ER, 2BB, 5K

HR
NY: Holliday (1), Bird (1)
TB: Morrison (1), Norris (1)
All HR were legit, I hung two sliders and on the two I hit Archer left a cutter high, mid plate, then grooved a 4 seamer to Bird.

2B: NY 1, TB 2
3B: TB 1

Overall I walked 4 times and fanned 5, TB 1 walk, 12K

Game 2
New York 4-12-2 LP Clippard 0-1 (Betances gave up the winning hit)
Tampa Bay 5-11-0 WP Colome, gave up a game tying HR in the 9th

Starters, Sabathia went 5.1, 7 hits, 4ER, 3BB, 2K and Cobb went 5.2, 9H, 3ER, 0BB, 0K (Overall I had no walks and 3 K's, TB drew 5 walks off me and 4 K's.

HR
NY: Bird (2) - Game tying tape measure shot off, high changeup in the 9th
TB: None

2B: NY 3, TB 1

I wasted chances all night long with runners on base, and was not as patient as game 1.

What really stood out is Tanaka pitched quite well in the opener, but I twice hung sliders belt high due to timing and they jumped on both. In game two they hit me harder, but several were right at outfielders and I kept everything in the park at least. Both games were very fun and pressure packed though, especially tough losing the second game off a walkoff single on a slurve from Betances that was actually a pretty good pitch.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:50 AM   #10
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

Yeah I am the Cubs and I played the Cardinals for the first series and they used Alex Reyes the Long Relief guy all 3 games in the 5th-6th innings.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #11
Pro

Are you getting alot of walks with strike frequency at 0?I tried it at 0 but felt like there was too many.I have it at 1 and love it.Just wondering your thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Warriors
Sharks
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2017, 11:04 AM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamikb2001
Are you getting alot of walks with strike frequency at 0?I tried it at 0 but felt like there was too many.I have it at 1 and love it.Just wondering your thought?

I have drawn 10 through 3 games, which is 15th in the league, but thought that setting didn't matter with quick counts, am I wrong there? Just curious as I mainly see 1-1 and 2-1 counts, very few 3-0 and a fair amount of 1-2 and 2-2.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14

What really stood out is Tanaka pitched quite well in the opener, but I twice hung sliders belt high due to timing and they jumped on both. In game two they hit me harder, but several were right at outfielders and I kept everything in the park at least. Both games were very fun and pressure packed though, especially tough losing the second game off a walkoff single on a slurve from Betances that was actually a pretty good pitch.
This is what I'm loving. I go into each game knowing that it's a challenge. I'm 4-4 in my season.

Total home runs for those 8 games. (both teams)
3 (game was 10-0) I lost and had no homeruns
4 (this was a 20-7, don't know what happened, but it was a slugfest)

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Really paying attention. Throwing balls out of the zone to try to fool the CPU (they WILL bite).
Old 04-10-2017, 11:13 AM   #14
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14
I have drawn 10 through 3 games, which is 15th in the league, but thought that setting didn't matter with quick counts, am I wrong there? Just curious as I mainly see 1-1 and 2-1 counts, very few 3-0 and a fair amount of 1-2 and 2-2.

Maybe it doesn't on QC,I currently play on normal and use 1.If they adjust the starter coming out so early on QC i will likely go back.

Warriors
Sharks
Old 04-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
Rookie

Game 3 and I salvage a win against the Rays in the final game of the series

Game was tight, tied 2-2 and I had 4 hits through 7, but got to the Rays bullpen and blew it open with a 6 run 8th.

Yankees 8-11-0
Rays 3-8-0

Pineda 1-0 went 7 innings and gave up 5 hits, 2 ER, 1BB, 4K

HR: Yankees - Sanchez (1), Rays - Kermeier (1)
Sanchez squared up a 3-1 changeup and crushed it, left the game later with a pulled groin, ugh.

2B: Both teams had 2

Stars: Holliday 3-4, 2B, 2RBI, 2RS for my Yanks and Corey Dickerson went 3-4 for the Rays.

Overall I drew 6 walks (best day in a while) and whiffed 7 times, I gave up 2 walks to the Rays and fanned 5.

Way to early in the season team rankings.
Hitting
Avg: .278 (9th)
2B: 6 (12th)
HR: 4 (11th)
BB: 10 (15th)
K: 15 (tied for 1st) - Will watch this and raise pitch speed to 5-7 if needed, but typically I go in spurts here, so bigger sample needed.

Pitching
ERA: 4.91 (24th) - this will come down
Hits allowed: 28 (14th)
HR: 3 (8th)
BB: 8 (8th)
K: 21 (26th) - typically higher than this, but small sample and Pineda usually fans more than he did this start.

Obviously still need another 20+ games to get a good sample, but expecting it should stay as it did in my testing, but I wish they would tweak the hook logic for starters. May have to bump that to 1 for starters, then up to 6 once relievers come in, which is a huge PITA.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #16
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
This is what I'm loving. I go into each game knowing that it's a challenge. I'm 4-4 in my season.

Total home runs for those 8 games. (both teams)
3 (game was 10-0) I lost and had no homeruns
4 (this was a 20-7, don't know what happened, but it was a slugfest)

Pitching, pitching, pitching. Really paying attention. Throwing balls out of the zone to try to fool the CPU (they WILL bite).

Good stuff, 1.875 for both teams is pretty solid I think and you still get the outlier like that 20-7 Football game

I am with you on pitching. I love that the CPU just doesn't automatically rake you on HOF with the timing/power adjustments, but still punishes you if you get careless. Thanks for the feedback.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »