Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2017, 01:41 PM   #41
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxbombers21325
Any tips on how to get the CPU teams to throw less wild pitches? I'm fine while the CPU starter is in, but once the bullpen is called on I see 3 or 4 wild pitches per game. I've scored so any runs, and made a lot of comebacks that I shouldn't have made if it were for the CPU allowing runners to move up. I don't like winning games that way. I get they happen occasionally, but not every single game.
Nope, sorry. I would assume increasing CPU pitch control or consistency would help but I haven't playtested that so the best I can offer is a "try at your own risk". I haven't faced the same issue that you have, so I haven't explored any solutions.

Might want to pick the brain of another slider set maker for this one. Sorry I couldn't help.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2017, 08:55 PM   #42
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

So I think I've settled on my super ambitious plan for playing the Show this year. First off, most of my time will go into my 2014 carry over with these sliders locked in for now, playing every pitch of every AB.

Second will be a more experimental Franchise with Justmunc's fictional with the Mets, using Quick Manage, Player Lock (is it still a thing?), critical situations, and a lot of other crazy stuff. I think I'll start out copying whatever settings/sliders No.27 settles on for that. I'll use it as a sort of slider lab/for silly fun game mode.

Third will be a Quick Manage/MoM ONLY using rjackson's sliders. I'm thinking either Justmunc's Brewers, Justmunc's Astros, or OSFM Blue Jays for that one.

All this plus my very real obsession with Overwatch. It's going to be great.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 AM   #43
Pro

No.27's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
So I think I've settled on my super ambitious plan for playing the Show this year. First off, most of my time will go into my 2014 carry over with these sliders locked in for now, playing every pitch of every AB.

Second will be a more experimental Franchise with Justmunc's fictional with the Mets, using Quick Manage, Player Lock (is it still a thing?), critical situations, and a lot of other crazy stuff. I think I'll start out copying whatever settings/sliders No.27 settles on for that. I'll use it as a sort of slider lab/for silly fun game mode.

Third will be a Quick Manage/MoM ONLY using rjackson's sliders. I'm thinking either Justmunc's Brewers, Justmunc's Astros, or OSFM Blue Jays for that one.

All this plus my very real obsession with Overwatch. It's going to be great.
That sounds like a good plan but while you were off calming the waters in the guide thread I snuck back down to Veteran to have a look after you explained your theory to me.

In my first game I scored a lead off double on a wonky fielding error. I had an epiphany with my next at bat. Lefty/Lefty match up with a pull/power batter at the plate, 5 or 6 pitch battle waiting for that low 90s fastball. Then it came middle/up and with pull influence I hit a screaming double over the infield and between the CF/RF. Right where I wanted it to go and drove the runner in! I don't think I've been as happy all year with a hit on All Star. I might have got the double on All Star but probably not where I thought it would go with pull influence. I wonder if level is a factor when people seeing different things with Directional?

I'm converted and going to give Veteran a decent sample size in my new DODGERS franchise. So far I haven't had to change any settings. Only small adjustment is if I remember I do the manager hook 3/7 trick.

Pitching is another story. Classic is now dead to me this year! After a 99 rated Kershaw clone sailed through 7 innings and then fell apart because I couldn't spot the curveball (other than in the dirt!) which had struck out 5 and was full confidence. I used meter early in the year but felt it was a bit too spot on. I don't like analog. Do you have any pulse tips? I can only time it to the big circle

Update: Think I've worked out pulse in pitching practice. For me the best option is to press the pitch type then quick press the pulse nearly before it even starts pulsing. Got my highest ever gold score in pitching practice with this method and had never even tried pulse before. Loving the pitch going where it is supposed to!

Last edited by No.27; 07-16-2017 at 06:23 AM. Reason: Update
Old 07-16-2017, 10:37 AM   #44
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

lol I hear ya. My best advice for pulse is to press the button as the pulse is getting smaller. Think of the tightening marker as the motion your thumb makes when you press x. So you want to be starting the motion when it's at its largest, and finishing it when it's smallest.

Do keep in mind that pitch control effects how often the pitch will start inside the pulse, so it is still possible to throw wild. However, it is much less likely on good inputs thanks to the precision engine they introduced last year.

I agree that difficulty level can have a big impact on the results that people see in directional, but a big part of that is because it's easier to see patterns when you're pumping out more "solid" results. I'm thinking of a few ideas right now to proof of concept the guide. I'm not trying to sweep the naysayers under the rug, I just want to help those along who want to believe the guide but have struggled to see the results. Minor buffs and debuffs can be difficult to pick up on, especially at higher levels. More on that later in the guide though once I fully figure it out.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-16-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM   #45
MVP

OVR: 6

TheWarmWind,

i use a mix of your sliders and Armorīs, and im a "faithfull" follower of your directional hitting guide (once again, thanks for that).

Im having a blast with the game but now that im 25 games on my NYY season (15-10) there is a obvious problem i would like to tackle without ruining everything else wich is just perfect!

So, the problem is that my pitching staff (official rosters, no trades) leads the league in strikeouts and by a fair margin. On the other hand, my players ALSO lead the league with the fewest strikeouts. So, i strike out the CPU too much and i rarely strike out myself.

However, all other stats line up. I am middle of the pack in BA, middle of the pack in RBIīs, HRīs, Hits, etc... AND... my pitching staff ALSO is middle of the pack in ERA, CPUīs offense is ok against me, they get their runs, their hits...

How can i "solve" this 2 problems without ruining a perfectly realistic season in very possible way imaginable?

Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 AM   #46
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Hmm, I'm not too up to date on the attributes of the modern day roster for the yankees, but I seem to recall some guys with low vision, so I guess it's a decent assumption that you need a few more strikeouts. I'm also going to guess that your team isn't good enough to lead the league in strikeouts either, even though NY does have a nasty bullpen. I mean, someone has to lead the league in these catagories, so the first thing to establish is if it is reasonable for you to do so or not.

For your batters, decreasing Human Timing will increase your strikeouts due to bad timing (don't worry, the ideal timing window remains unaffected), while decreasing Human Foul Frequency will increase your strikeouts due to location (both out of the zone and on the edges).

For pitching do the opposite for the CPU, though decreasing either timing or location strikeouts will have a knock on effect, raising your ERA due to longer ABs and eventually more offence. You may in this case want to consider that you and your staff have earned 1rst in strikeouts, or maybe your staff is just having a really good year. Also, do you have a lot of coaches that add to K/9 or movement?

Edit: Something else I just thought of, as ridiculous as it sounds, you might be following the guide a little too well. The down or down/push hybrid combined with a contact swing is a powerful tool when behind in the count and you want to prevent a strikeout. However, can you ever imagine guys like Sanchez or Judge shortening up and just focusing on getting the bat on the ball? Judge seems a little more versatile, but from what (admittedly limited) footage I've seen of Sanchez, I can never imagine him changing his approach at the plate thinking "I just want to get it in play".

I could be wrong about that (I've watched embarrassingly little baseball this year, I usually watch a ton in the early and late parts of the season), but my point is that it's possible you're seeing unnatural numbers because you're taking an unnatural approach at the plate. If this is the problem, you can approach it two ways: You can try and roleplay as the batter you know in real life, or you can say he's taking your coaching advice and that is leading to improvements at the plate.

Last edited by TheWarmWind; 07-17-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:03 AM   #47
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Hmm, I'm not too up to date on the attributes of the modern day roster for the yankees, but I seem to recall some guys with low vision, so I guess it's a decent assumption that you need a few more strikeouts. I'm also going to guess that your team isn't good enough to lead the league in strikeouts either, even though NY does have a nasty bullpen. I mean, someone has to lead the league in these catagories, so the first thing to establish is if it is reasonable for you to do so or not.

For your batters, decreasing Human Timing will increase your strikeouts due to bad timing (don't worry, the ideal timing window remains unaffected), while decreasing Human Foul Frequency will increase your strikeouts due to location (both out of the zone and on the edges).

For pitching do the opposite for the CPU, though decreasing either timing or location strikeouts will have a knock on effect, raising your ERA due to longer ABs and eventually more offence. You may in this case want to consider that you and your staff have earned 1rst in strikeouts, or maybe your staff is just having a really good year. Also, do you have a lot of coaches that add to K/9 or movement?
Warmwind, thanks for your reply. Before i get to your suggestions:

- Im sure it is not reasonable for my pitching staff to lead the league, since i have 3 starting pitchers, Severino, Tanaka and Pineda on 1st, 3rd and 5th place in strikeouts. Sabathia and Montgomery are 10th and 15th. It really is that pronounced this strikeout domination.

- I will take your sugestion on the timing and foul frequency on the user, but my offence is already pretty average in runs scored, hits and HRīs, so i will try decreasing the human foul frequency first and see where that gets me...

- I play season mode, not franchise, so there isnīt coaches to alter the attributes (at least i have never seen that...).

Itīs really tricky because i want to strikeout more myself without hurting my already average (maybe even below average) offense and i also want the CPU to strike out much less, but really donīt want them to score more than they already do, if my offense getīs a bit worse from the changes to human foul frequency and timing.

I will try your sugestions, give it ten more games on it and see how it goes!

Thanks!

EDIT: so, i just read your own edit and im definitely doing that! The down and away with contact swing is my choice for most situations with 2 strikes! Except with Judge, C. Carter or Sanchez. Everyone else with 2 strikes goes to a contact wing, usually down and away (depending on the situation of course). Itīs like a defensive aproach at the plate, well, i tend to have a defensive aproach in general, since i NEVER power swing...

This may well be one of the factors...

Last edited by nunogomes; 07-17-2017 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #48
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunogomes
Warmwind, thanks for your reply. Before i get to your suggestions:

- Im sure it is not reasonable for my pitching staff to lead the league, since i have 3 starting pitchers, Severino, Tanaka and Pineda on 1st, 3rd and 5th place in strikeouts. Sabathia and Montgomery are 10th and 15th. It really is that pronounced this strikeout domination.

- I will take your sugestion on the timing and foul frequency on the user, but my offence is already pretty average in runs scored, hits and HRīs, so i will try decreasing the human foul frequency first and see where that gets me...

- I play season mode, not franchise, so there isnīt coaches to alter the attributes (at least i have never seen that...).

Itīs really tricky because i want to strikeout more myself without hurting my already average (maybe even below average) offense and i also want the CPU to strike out much less, but really donīt want them to score more than they already do, if my offense getīs a bit worse from the changes to human foul frequency and timing.

I will try your sugestions, give it ten more games on it and see how it goes!

Thanks!

EDIT: so, i just read your own edit and im definitely doing that! The down and away with contact swing is my choice for most situations with 2 strikes! Except with Judge, C. Carter or Sanchez. Everyone else with 2 strikes goes to a contact wing, usually down and away (depending on the situation of course). Itīs like a defensive aproach at the plate, well, i tend to have a defensive aproach in general, since i NEVER power swing...

This may well be one of the factors...

I was having the same problem with my Yankee franchise in 2018, but my rotation is Arrieta (a big FA score), Tanaka, Pineda, Sevy and Kaprielian. so 4 of the 5 starters are capable of high strikeout numbers, plus that pen. NY is 6th in MLB in strikeouts this season, so it is not out of the question to lead or be top 5, but not like I am seeing either.

I am pitching All-Star+, but raised CPU contact to 6 and changed my pitching view to fish eye behind the batter, and this has helped as fisheye makes it harder to time the release on classic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »