Home

Analog pitching

This is a discussion on Analog pitching within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #9
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

OVR: 28
Re: Analog pitching

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscosuper
I'm curious guys... why doesn't anyone seem to use Meter pitching?

I'm pitching on Legend myself and I like the challenge of trying to keep the ball down on pitches low in the zone and up on pitches high in the zone.

I.e., if I'm trying to locate a pitch at the knees and I release too early, the ball stays up and becomes much more of a problem. So, in that instance, I'm trying to be on time or be late, because even if I'm late, the ball stays down and is in a "safer" place. Plus, with Meter pitching, I walk more batters.

Also, are you getting a realistic amount of Ks on Legend? That's one area I'm seem to be a little behind in, considering I have deGrom and Syndergaard. Any tips?
This is actually the first year I've used anything besides meter pitching. Just for reference though the reason you like meter pitching is exactly the same on analog. It Is exactly like you described you just use the stick instead on buttons.

Yeah getting K's on legend can be rough, it is much more about setting up your pitches than actually executing them perfectly.
Not that I'm saying that executing isn't important, but it's more important to set them up on legend and above.

Join us in the 3K Gaming Discord for the best Sim Sports Setups!!
3K Gaming Discord

Check out my 6-League NYC Universe Chise in the Discord and my YouTube!
Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-08-2018, 06:44 PM   #10
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Also if you get a pitch working don't be afraid to throw it..... a lot.

If I get say my curve working, and they're watching and/or swinging and missing ill keep throwing it.

Sometimes 3-4 times in a row. I actually have highlights saved of me King guys up on 3-4 consecutive Curves with Lester and Maeda and Duensing.

Pay attention to what's working for you that day, and not what should work in that situation. Got a 0-2 count? Yes a slider out of the zone should work, but has the slider been any good for you today? If not challenge high in the zone with a FB, or throw a low curve. Whatever's working roll with.

Check irl video of Lance McCullers throwing 20+ consecutive Curves in last year's playoff game against NY.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #11
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

@HighCmpPct,

Hey, thanks for the insight. Some questions for you (or anyone who has an opinion),

I've increased my SOs over the past few games and one of the changes I made was going deeper with the first motion on the meter. It's where the sliding cursor moves into the yellow/red area. Is that area just velocity or is it efficacy? Meaning, more pace for fastballs and more break for breaking balls? Should I be constantly going into that zone?

What does it mean when a cpu hitter pulls a fastball foul? Is he waiting on a fastball? Has he tried to speed up his bat and just got too far out in front? Can I read cpu hitters in this game? Is that part of the design?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-09-2018, 01:05 PM   #12
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
@HighCmpPct,

Hey, thanks for the insight. Some questions for you (or anyone who has an opinion),

I've increased my SOs over the past few games and one of the changes I made was going deeper with the first motion on the meter. It's where the sliding cursor moves into the yellow/red area. Is that area just velocity or is it efficacy? Meaning, more pace for fastballs and more break for breaking balls? Should I be constantly going into that zone?

What does it mean when a cpu hitter pulls a fastball? Is he waiting on a fastball? Has he tried to speed up his bat and just got too far out in front? Can I read cpu hitters in this game? Is that part of the design?
No the down motion where you are supposed to hit the line determines whether or not you release the ball early, late, or good.

The effort (or more pace on FB/Break on breaking pitches) comes from how fast you press forward on the stick when going up to match where you placed the circle.

So just a quick breakdown of the mechanic.

1. Pull down and time the line = release point of pitch. (Early, late, on time etc)

2. The quickness/speed in which you press the stick up = effort on the pitch.

3. Hitting the location circle = inside/outside location.

So basically think of it like this. Step 1 determines where your pitch will land north/south. Step 2 determines effort on the pitch. And Step 3 determines where your pitch will land east/west.

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #13
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

I love analog. It definitely feels the most fluid to me. It was starting to feel too easy though, so I dropped Control and Consistency to 0 and it seems to have helped. Need to test more though.
Old 04-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #14
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777
I love analog. It definitely feels the most fluid to me. It was starting to feel too easy though, so I dropped Control and Consistency to 0 and it seems to have helped. Need to test more though.
What difficulty, pitch marker on or off, and vibration on or off?

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

Old 04-09-2018, 11:57 PM   #15
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighCmpPct
No the down motion where you are supposed to hit the line determines whether or not you release the ball early, late, or good.

The effort (or more pace on FB/Break on breaking pitches) comes from how fast you press forward on the stick when going up to match where you placed the circle.

So just a quick breakdown of the mechanic.

1. Pull down and time the line = release point of pitch. (Early, late, on time etc)

2. The quickness/speed in which you press the stick up = effort on the pitch.

3. Hitting the location circle = inside/outside location.

So basically think of it like this. Step 1 determines where your pitch will land north/south. Step 2 determines effort on the pitch. And Step 3 determines where your pitch will land east/west.

I'm sorry, I think I'm confusing you. I'm using:

Pitching Difficulty - Legend
Pitching Interface - Meter
Pitching Ball Marker - Classic On

I use only the left stick to aim, and buttons to time the cursor. After initiating the cursor, it moves to a yellow/red area. I was wondering what specifically that area does to the pitch and to what degree depending on where I stop it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #16
Denny 3K

HighCmpPct's Arena

Quote:
I'm sorry, I think I'm confusing you. I'm using:

Pitching Difficulty - Legend
Pitching Interface - Meter
Pitching Ball Marker - Classic On

I use only the left stick to aim, and buttons to time the cursor. After initiating the cursor, it moves to a yellow/red area. I was wondering what specifically that area does to the pitch and to what degree depending on where I stop it.
Duh I knew that I forgot I guess, my bad.

Anyway with meter pitching how long you hold the first button press (or how far down the meter you let it travel) determines velocity/Break.

Where you hit on the line determines early or late release on the pitch.

So hit button before it gets to the line early release fastballs sails high, breaking stuff doesn't break in, hit it past the line release it late fastballs drip down, breaking stuff usually lands in the dirt

3K Gaming Discord

Denny 3K Gaming

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »