Home

I'm too old for this....

This is a discussion on I'm too old for this.... within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #1
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7
I'm too old for this....

MLBTS 18 is so darn good, it really is. As a lifelong baseball fan, I have always enjoyed playing this series. With 4 small kids a job etc. (i'm sure a lot of you can relate) it's hard to find a lot of time for gaming. You'd think I'd give up this hobby by now, but I love baseball and I still love this game. I think I have finally realized that this game gets better every year and since I play every pitch of every game (inc. Spring Training) playing multiple seasons of any years version just isn't possible. This being said, I think the roster & slider makers are terrific so I am not knocking any of their work - hats off to all of them!

Here is what I am doing and hopefully it helps just one person out there like me who is always striving for perfection in this series. I've gone to complete default sliders, HOF hit zone and HOF pitch meter and I use stock Sony rosters. The good news is these stock rosters still have 100% real players (on the 40-man) with the exception of 3 players on Houston (just download OSFM, and replace those 3 players).

Since the cpu doesn't do that many roster transactions (waivers/releases etc.) chances are you'll still be playing with 100% real players for all 162. I use 30-team control just in case too many "fake" players make their way to the 40-man.

Hope this helps, and BTW, the games play great, the strike % is within MLB averages and so is pretty much all the counting stats. It's such a relief to just fire up the game and start playing without always wondering if there's a better roster / slider set out there.

It;s also great to know next years version will probably be even better, and I get to start all over again.

Dowie
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: I'm too old for this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie
MLBTS 18 is so darn good, it really is. As a lifelong baseball fan, I have always enjoyed playing this series. With 4 small kids a job etc. (i'm sure a lot of you can relate) it's hard to find a lot of time for gaming. You'd think I'd give up this hobby by now, but I love baseball and I still love this game. I think I have finally realized that this game gets better every year and since I play every pitch of every game (inc. Spring Training) playing multiple seasons of any years version just isn't possible. This being said, I think the roster & slider makers are terrific so I am not knocking any of their work - hats off to all of them!

Here is what I am doing and hopefully it helps just one person out there like me who is always striving for perfection in this series. I've gone to complete default sliders, HOF hit zone and HOF pitch meter and I use stock Sony rosters. The good news is these stock rosters still have 100% real players (on the 40-man) with the exception of 3 players on Houston (just download OSFM, and replace those 3 players).

Since the cpu doesn't do that many roster transactions (waivers/releases etc.) chances are you'll still be playing with 100% real players for all 162. I use 30-team control just in case too many "fake" players make their way to the 40-man.

Hope this helps, and BTW, the games play great, the strike % is within MLB averages and so is pretty much all the counting stats. It's such a relief to just fire up the game and start playing without always wondering if there's a better roster / slider set out there.

It;s also great to know next years version will probably be even better, and I get to start all over again.

Dowie
Its not about being too old, its simply about life, what it deals you, and priorities. I know 20 year olds who don't have any more time to play than anyone else. Heck 10 years ago i seemingly had no time to play games. I doubt you are much older, if older at all, than many of us who play this game.

I personally simply make time for the Show in place of the TV shows, movies, netflix, etc, that most busy people still find the time for. I still watch them, but on nights i take a break from the game. My time for myself is usually after 10pm at night, but i have been blessed (or cursed) with being a night-owl my whole life, but hey it works lol.

I applaud you for finding a way to still enjoy the game, while juggling life. I think its awesome.

Life goes through seasons, so dont think of it as being too old. Dont start thinking old, or you might get old! lol.

Last edited by NolanRyansSnowmonkey; 07-15-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
MVP

dowie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolanRyansSnowmonkey
Its not about being too old, its simply about life, what it deals you, and priorities. I know 20 year olds who don't have any more time to play than anyone else. Heck 10 years ago i seemingly had no time to play games. I doubt you are much older, if older at all, than many of us who play this game.

I personally simply make time for the Show in place of the TV shows, movies, netflix, etc, that most busy people still find the time for. I still watch them, but on nights i take a break from the game. My time for myself is usually after 10pm at night, but i have been blessed (or cursed) with being a night-owl my whole life, but hey it works lol.

I applaud you for finding a way to still enjoy the game, while juggling life. I think its awesome.

Life goes through seasons, so dont think of it as being too old. Dont start thinking old, or you might get old! lol.
Ha, all good points. I too am a night owl. All my franchise games take place between 11 and 2 am (yes I have a normal job that starts between 8/9 am).
Old 07-15-2018, 06:26 PM   #4
MVP

Rmiok222's Arena

OVR: 0
I'm too old for this....

I feel you Dowie I’m 27 years old I got a wife 4 kids I work swing shift and 50+ hours a week. But I’ll still make time for the show when life allows!

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-15-2018, 06:56 PM   #5
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie

Dowie

Awesome Dowie. Using HOF default zone, do you strike out enough?

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2018, 09:46 PM   #6
MVP

dowie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
Awesome Dowie. Using HOF default zone, do you strike out enough?

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
great question - anywhere between 4 and 9 a game (typically 6 or 7).
I am extremely patient at the the plate, and very old school (contact at all cost). When I have two strikes i go almost exclusively with contact button. I know I am sacrificing XB hits with this method, but it's how I approach batting.

Dowie
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

I'm 46 - still love sports gaming.

The more I play this game, the more I mess with sliders, the more frustrated I get.

Funny thing is, with Madden & NBA 2K - I can just go with no slider adjustments and roll with the level I enjoy and play at default.

With MLBTS18, NHL18 & NBA 2K11 - I'm still a hot mess. Shoot, I'm STILL tweaking NBA 2K11 sliders for my historic/classic roster files, and still frustrated. I wish I wasn't wired this way. It must be a disease...

But my problem with MLBTS18, is I'm using "0" human pitch control (because I can't walk anyone if I don't (meter pitching) but I'm trying to figure out the fine-line the other sliders. I've tried using the different sets here, but for my style none of them work for me in that "perfect" world (that eludes me). So I get it - and it's frustrating me to no end. I want to start my franchise up, but I've already started 15 of them, and then pulled the plug after a couple/three games because I start tweaking again. Sometimes I hate myself...
Old 07-16-2018, 10:50 AM   #8
MVP

dowie's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I'm 46 - still love sports gaming.

The more I play this game, the more I mess with sliders, the more frustrated I get.

Funny thing is, with Madden & NBA 2K - I can just go with no slider adjustments and roll with the level I enjoy and play at default.

With MLBTS18, NHL18 & NBA 2K11 - I'm still a hot mess. Shoot, I'm STILL tweaking NBA 2K11 sliders for my historic/classic roster files, and still frustrated. I wish I wasn't wired this way. It must be a disease...

But my problem with MLBTS18, is I'm using "0" human pitch control (because I can't walk anyone if I don't (meter pitching) but I'm trying to figure out the fine-line the other sliders. I've tried using the different sets here, but for my style none of them work for me in that "perfect" world (that eludes me). So I get it - and it's frustrating me to no end. I want to start my franchise up, but I've already started 15 of them, and then pulled the plug after a couple/three games because I start tweaking again. Sometimes I hate myself...
So 1st off, it is a disease and many of US suffer from it. Secondly, if you are a zone/meter player I encourage you to try Mike Lowe's Legend set. They are really, really good & you will most definitely walk plenty of batters.

Dowie

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »