Home

mkharsh33 MLB The Show 18 - simulation sliders

This is a discussion on mkharsh33 MLB The Show 18 - simulation sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2018, 08:37 PM   #9
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: mkharsh33 MLB The Show 18 - simulation sliders

appreciate the feedback. I just want to make a contribution that is a bit different from what's been offered here.

I want the pitching to be VERY hard. I think any levels lower and it's just way too easy to hit your spots. I LOVE meter pitching - it's the only way I like to play the game. I can't answer what any other pitching sliders will do with the offensive ones because I didn't test them that way. The one thing I want to create was the feeling that EACH PITCH matters - that you're one pitch away from something special or an utter disaster. Make sure you use your mound visits when necessary. Use your bullpen when warranted.

I also want to feel that sense of immense reward when I get a hit, especially an extra base hit. In my last 3 games I've lost 6-4, won 9-5 and lost 5-1. Now, in each of them there was a turning point that becamse a big moment either way. I've had my chances in the losses. In the game I scored 9, I had 3 HR's.

I absolutely LOVE the variety these give...

If you feel like hitting is too easy, just raise up the CPU pitcher control by a click or two.

If you are hitting too many HR's, just lower the user power by a click. The fixes for anything you are seeing are VERY SIMPLE with this set. I created them that way.

I had a game the other night where I struck out 11 times - against an 87 rated pitcher. But the next game I only struck out 3 times against a 71 rated pitcher. So it captures what I want to see. I know the idea of having solid hits at 10 scares people - don't let it. What I find is I still hit pop-ups and even have popped to the catcher a few times. But they're much more minimal. I noticed that slider didn't have the "extreme" impact that I originally thought it would. And with the cpu batting power raised up a notch, it really makes you think about pitching to the power bats. And if you miss your location, and get wallopped - you should.

Again, I've tested these out to the tune of MANY, MANY games - and the numbers play out solid, and the variety of types of games is so much fun.

Here's how I create sliders: I BEGIN with the animations and visuals. I read a LOT of stuff here on what guys are seeing, especially those in whom I trust their thoughts/insights. But I work backwards to the statistics. The reason my slider sets usually take longer is that I'm starting with the animations and the "eye tests" BEFORE I worry about getting the statistical variables correct. I can deal with those later.

This set, in my opinion, captures that - which is why the slider numbers look so odd. I had to do a LOT of testing to figure those numbers out. Also, what I read was many felt that ALL-STAR hitting was the way to go. The problem, is that can be too easy. With so many of those slider variables at "0" - I was shocked I could capture the statistical accuracy that I've found with these.

So again, my deepest gratitude to all the other slider creators here. I simply piggy-backed onto what they were doing, but then wanted to come at this from an entirely different perspective. It's just another option guys can try. And I also acknowledge I'm late in the game here, and that mine aren't for everyone.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:10 AM   #10
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I let the catcher call the pitch. I don't always go with his location option. I only use the "X" button for "normal" unless I really feel like the power (square) or contact (circle) is warranted. However, I strike out a LOT when I try to hit with power (which I should). It's all about timing and patience, and really honing in on the pitches.
Thank you so much
Old 09-05-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

Another thing about using METER pitching...

I have zeroed out the user pitching sliders - and for a good reason. For me, I spent YEARS playing MLB 2K baseball games, the last 5 of which were with MLB 2K13. So I've spent countless games using the meter to pitch with, and I LOVE it. I get that others don't - and MLBTS gives us options. The thing I also love about meter pitching is that you can place the pitch before going into the motion, and then you can determine on the meter if you want to nail the accuracy bar OR, based upon where you originally located the pitch, to go above the accuracy bar or below it. The ball will wind up in different locations based upon what you do. There are times I will purposely use that to my advantage to see if I can get a hitter to chase. The other day I was playing with the 1995 roster set, and I was pitching against Detroit. Cecil Fielder...for some reason I really locked into pitching to him. In the 4 at-bats I faced him, I got him to strike out 3 times. BUT, the one mistake I made he CRUSHED.

I did not test these sliders using any other settings - everything you see on page 1 / post 1 is how I've used them. So any variations from them - I can't answer to those questions. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #12
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7

So I have been a hardcore supporter of Armor's sliders, but always willing to try other sets. I never get into the whole "his is better than yours etc." banter. I think everyone should play with whatever slider set & settings they find most enjoyable. To each there own.

I liked this set - not the biggest fan of meter, but the gameplay was smooth and the stats were similar to a real MLB box score. The only #'s that looked way, way off were fouls. Cpu literally had 3x's more fouls than I did, and despite that I still struck them out 11 times though it took me 177 pitches to do it

All-Star hitting actually felt really good, I was surprised. Legend pitching is what it is - because of the difficulty, no matter what you do the cpu will get it's clutch hits and rallies, but it's expected so no big deal.

Overall, nice set - good job on these!

Do you change any sliders for the simmed cpu games (SP/RP stam, injuries or cpu hook)?

Dowie
Old 09-08-2018, 08:53 PM   #13
Pro

Really really feeling this set. Love the variety of games.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:41 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowie
So I have been a hardcore supporter of Armor's sliders, but always willing to try other sets. I never get into the whole "his is better than yours etc." banter. I think everyone should play with whatever slider set & settings they find most enjoyable. To each there own.

I liked this set - not the biggest fan of meter, but the gameplay was smooth and the stats were similar to a real MLB box score. The only #'s that looked way, way off were fouls. Cpu literally had 3x's more fouls than I did, and despite that I still struck them out 11 times though it took me 177 pitches to do it

All-Star hitting actually felt really good, I was surprised. Legend pitching is what it is - because of the difficulty, no matter what you do the cpu will get it's clutch hits and rallies, but it's expected so no big deal.

Overall, nice set - good job on these!

Do you change any sliders for the simmed cpu games (SP/RP stam, injuries or cpu hook)?

Dowie
Thanks for the feedback. I get everything you're saying... I fully understand the pitching meter - some like it, some don't. I LOVE it. To answer your question - no, I haven't tried this for any simmed games. To be candid, I am going to play with the latest roster set that Ridin puts out, and I'll do a fantasy draft league where I'll use the DH in both leagues, and start over with a NEW MLB where I want teams to be active in making moves. Injuries won't bother me - so I'm not the best guy to ask on this. I just want people to enjoy the game, realizing there are some warts, but largely and mostly an outstanding game. I was trying to capture what I see in a real MLB game. I feel I've done that with this set, and that's enough to satisfy me. Thanks again!
Old 09-09-2018, 01:45 PM   #15
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkharsh33
I let the catcher call the pitch. I don't always go with his location option. I only use the "X" button for "normal" unless I really feel like the power (square) or contact (circle) is warranted. However, I strike out a LOT when I try to hit with power (which I should). It's all about timing and patience, and really honing in on the pitches.
In what situation would you say the power swing is warranted
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #16
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffking
In what situation would you say the power swing is warranted
You know what's crazy? I asked that question because I was wondering if my own K totals were too low. I struck out on the next two at bats after typing that lol

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »