Home

TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

This is a discussion on TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019 within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2019, 08:49 PM   #41
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TheWarmWind's Impact Sliders 2019

Let me tell you a story about the contact slider.

In MLB 18, the contact slider controlled the timing window (in conjunction with the timing slider) the size of the invisible PCI, and check swing ability.

In 19, a new factor was added: bat exit velocity floors.

I just discovered that it also controls pitch recognition and swing timing for the CPU (along with everything else).

This is why we need more sliders, so 1 slider doesn't control 6 things. Eff the contact slider.

And don't act so innocent over there solid hits slider I know you effect PCI placement, ball trajectory, and vision.

This is why I hate changing the contact slider, but it's happening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #42
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Let me tell you a story about the contact slider.

In MLB 18, the contact slider controlled the timing window (in conjunction with the timing slider) the size of the invisible PCI, and check swing ability.

In 19, a new factor was added: bat exit velocity floors.

I just discovered that it also controls pitch recognition and swing timing for the CPU (along with everything else).

This is why we need more sliders, so 1 slider doesn't control 6 things. Eff the contact slider.

And don't act so innocent over there solid hits slider I know you effect PCI placement, ball trajectory, and vision.

This is why I hate changing the contact slider, but it's happening.

Your for sure right about hat one I have noticed this too. with the timing on 1 and contact up I noticed my fly outs were A LOT and I mean A LOT higher. that is the first thing I noticed the ball traveled

higher from the exit velocity.

had a 12-4 game and 6-4 game last night too.. so yeah sample size is going up

question though I wonder IF you mentioned before about the error stat that if someone is due for a error it will happen. I only play franchise games.

are stats pre determined by the attributes. ?? so if someone like a Mike trout got off to a 0-24 start the code in the game will say he will go 4 for 4 in the next game because eventually the stats have to even out.. I always wonder about this.. also keep in mind I am right now playing EVERY single game in franchise and I mean every single game. I am up to march 31 so I will indeed have a huge sample size for you. trying to play 2 games a night. so there are no hot and cold streaks.

I think once I play all the games through the rotations once I can post you overall stats which will be real because I have controlled every game lol

Last edited by ninertravel; 04-14-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #43
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Also nothing really to do with sliders you really can't help it nothing you can do. but in that 12-4 game the CPU was a ******* with the BP

Koch for the Dbacks was up in a 6-3 into his 2nd innings.(because the CPU always goes to the LR guy if the starter is out early even if they are gassed) and was at 40 pitches and when the score got to 9-3 and I kept hitting him and getting walks the CPu STILL kept him in there I hit a 3 run homer with Polock and they STILL left him in the game... I had to change the controller to the CPU to change damm pitcher myself... there is no way in hell that would happen in the real world.

I am tired of the Dumb CPU management there is no fix for it. if you put the Hook up higher they pull starters to early then. The only work around is to manage the CPU BP yourself to have decent games. I probably would have only won that game 8-4 had the CPU had a brain with BP management.

This is partly the reason I believe for a lot of offence too the A1 just has no idea about BP management

Last edited by ninertravel; 04-14-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #44
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I've never seen an instance where a hitter got a hit just because they were due. Of course it's impossible to prove one way or the other, but most of what I've seen from batters is just their attributes in an odds based battle with pitching attributes, mixed with timing. This calculates odds of certain bat exit velocities, trajectories, contact probabilities, etc. Once all of that is calculated and all of the odds produce hard numbers, it's all physics based from that point on.

To put it in layman's terms, attributes calculate if a ball is hit, how hard it is hit, and in directional, what kind of trajectory it has.

If it ends up a hard liner at a fielder to be caught, that outcome wasn't dictated by attributes, it was physics.

In even simpler terms; attributes got the ball off the bat. Physics got the ball in the glove.

Yes, I too noticed that bat exit velocity floors were too consistently high, resulting in a lot of hard grounders or long fly outs. Bat exit velocity ceilings are fine, and that's controlled by power. Power USED to also control the floors, but now that contact does, it's something important to wrangle in.

I spent all weekend going through my cycle of practice mode, carry over franchise, test franchise. Changes are coming. I'm pretty worn out. On the plus side, I managed to regain that parity of settings between human and CPU. We'll see how long that lasts. Doesn't help when my first game in my test franchise on the new sliders is against a guy with 98 H/9. Oof.

Old 04-16-2019, 01:43 AM   #45
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

I can't do it. I can't keep the contact slider down. Yes I see much more natural swing and misses and the bat exit velocity floor procs at a much more realistic pace, but the cpu turns into a gibbering baffoons when it comes to pitch selection and PCI placement. Turning up solid hits helps, but not enough, and then I get an unrealistic rate of ideal launch trajectories.

Back to the drawing board with this. My solutions have to lie elsewhere. Messing with the contact slider is like pulling on a loose thread on an old sweater.

You know things are bad when you decide to throw nothing but fastballs down the middle and the CPU still has difficulty punishing you. The zone needs to be a threat, and it just isn't with the contact slider turned down.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2019, 01:33 PM   #46
MVP

CWSpalehoseCWS's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
I can't do it. I can't keep the contact slider down. Yes I see much more natural swing and misses and the bat exit velocity floor procs at a much more realistic pace, but the cpu turns into a gibbering baffoons when it comes to pitch selection and PCI placement. Turning up solid hits helps, but not enough, and then I get an unrealistic rate of ideal launch trajectories.

Back to the drawing board with this. My solutions have to lie elsewhere. Messing with the contact slider is like pulling on a loose thread on an old sweater.

You know things are bad when you decide to throw nothing but fastballs down the middle and the CPU still has difficulty punishing you. The zone needs to be a threat, and it just isn't with the contact slider turned down.

Have you thought about lowering HUM Control? Last year I ran Legend pitching with it at 4, CPU Con at 4, Pow at 6, Timing at 3, Fouls at 4 and it provided me with enough challenge with slightly lower walk rates than real life. I averaged giving up about 1-2 HR’s a game and 3-5 runs.

After about 15 games this year I’ve decided to go right back to it, as the CPU is just too damn foul happy on default now. Haven’t really had a chance to test it out yet, but I would expect it’s slightly harder than last year with all the changes that were made this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 04-16-2019, 02:11 PM   #47
Rookie

Vercingetirex's Arena

Isn't the errors slider suppose to turned lower to create more errors? Moving it to the right would decrease errors. At least what I remember it saying, I am at work know, so can't exactly check.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 PM   #48
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:

I tend to be a 'keep it simple and play' guy on MLB. I haven't found my 'happy place' yet this year but I am just doing my own thing with sliders. Been reading your thread and I keep nodding in agreement with a lot of things you've commented on.

A couple of observations I've made which may(or may not) help:

1. All Star+ may be a way of getting that 0.5 pitch speed adjustment. It feels a tad faster than AS and a tad slower than HOF. It obviously will trifle with your other settings, but if you're in that in-between zone with velo....it can suck no matter what else you do.

2. Your observations on the contact slider jive with my own. That said, I think that the foul frequency slider may play a role here too. Working off of otherwise default settings, dropping the FF slider even one notch really dumbs them down (swings all over the place that seem illogical). Again, that's relative to all those other settings being at default. That said, it might suggest that bumping up FF a bit while lowering the contact slider could help offset some of contact effects you mentioned in the quoted post.

I hope you don't mind me jumping-in like this; but what you said just resonated with me.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »