Home

Is stealing bases utterly random?

This is a discussion on Is stealing bases utterly random? within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 9
Is stealing bases utterly random?

Seems like stolen base logic needs completely rewritten. Highly rated base stealers getting terrible jumps, pick offs and psychic pitch out calls make this part of the almost unusable.

19 is a great game but this aspect needs a lot of work imho. Does anybody have any tips/sliders that improves this part of the game?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Is stealing bases utterly random?

The highly rated basestealers getting terrible jumps is a function of the pitcher as well as the runner. Pitchers have a hidden attribute (probably associated with animation or perks) that judges how deceptive their pickoff move is. Runners will get consistently bad jumps on high deception pitchers, even if their basestealing ability is high.

Rarely get an extra step to lead, it's often not worth the risk. High basestealing ability runners have a better chance to make it back to the bag in the case of a pickoff, but again that is countered by the pitchers deception rating, which is hidden to the player.

The rest is bad luck/in your head. I've yet to have the CPU correctly guess when I'm stealing and pitch out in 19, and they have certainly tried. Every time they pitch out, I'm standing calmly at first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
The highly rated basestealers getting terrible jumps is a function of the pitcher as well as the runner. Pitchers have a hidden attribute (probably associated with animation or perks) that judges how deceptive their pickoff move is. Runners will get consistently bad jumps on high deception pitchers, even if their basestealing ability is high.

Rarely get an extra step to lead, it's often not worth the risk. High basestealing ability runners have a better chance to make it back to the bag in the case of a pickoff, but again that is countered by the pitchers deception rating, which is hidden to the player.

The rest is bad luck/in your head. I've yet to have the CPU correctly guess when I'm stealing and pitch out in 19, and they have certainly tried. Every time they pitch out, I'm standing calmly at first.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Dumb question, but is there a different way to steal other than L2 before the pitch?
Old 04-06-2019, 06:42 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremser_Rules
Dumb question, but is there a different way to steal other than L2 before the pitch?
I believe you can manually control the jump by pressing and holding L2 before the pitcher sets themselves, and then releasing when you want to jump.
Old 04-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
Rookie

vinny_pizza's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Seems like stolen base logic needs completely rewritten. Highly rated base stealers getting terrible jumps, pick offs and psychic pitch out calls make this part of the almost unusable.

19 is a great game but this aspect needs a lot of work imho. Does anybody have any tips/sliders that improves this part of the game?

Agree. Especially the pick off and pitch outs. Two times i tried to set a steal for hit and run with a slow runner, didn't increase my lead or anything, throws over twice, i don't push L2 and they pitch to home. I steal next pitch and it's a pitchout. Absurd.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-07-2019, 08:51 AM   #6
Banned

OVR: 21

Yes...I tested this extensively last year and there is some sort of ESP going on regarding pickoff attempts and steals. I would call a steal with a slow runner and sure enough there would be a pick off attempt. I would not increase the lead or indicate in any way through patterns of behavior or game situations. Same thing with pitchouts. They just seemed to "know" the majority of the time.

Tried various scenarios with different speeds of runners and yes, there is something odd going on that they should look into and/or tone down.

C
Old 04-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

I haven't seen any of these crazy pitchouts at all actually. But I did see one really weird one... my only runner was on 3rd and they pitched out.....
Old 04-10-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
MVP

NolanRyansSnowmonkey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001
I haven't seen any of these crazy pitchouts at all actually. But I did see one really weird one... my only runner was on 3rd and they pitched out.....
Anticipating a sqeeze play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny_pizza
Agree. Especially the pick off and pitch outs. Two times i tried to set a steal for hit and run with a slow runner, didn't increase my lead or anything, throws over twice, i don't push L2 and they pitch to home. I steal next pitch and it's a pitchout. Absurd.
The CPU also anticipates possible hit and run situations. The fact they were throwing over is a major clue to the fact they were anticipating it, and not going on the next pitch is advisable. Although - i will agree that the frequency of pitchouts is way too high, compared to MLB.

On top of that, Hit and runs should be used more often in counts where the pitcher is most likely to throw a pitch for a strike, so the hitter can make contact. First pitch hit and runs, or behind 0-1 or 0-2 are not advisable counts to go on. They can afford a pitchout here.

(On the other hand, it's more of a chess match here on a Straight Steal on these counts with a decent runner. While "offspeed" counts can be good to straight steal on, they are not good for Hit & Runs. Especially since the game is a bit pitchout happy.)

Quote:
Tap L2 to steal, and then Hold L1 through the pitch. It's a little known method but has helped my success rate go up to a realistic level. You don't need to have an extra lead. I basically never get an extra lead. (Extra leads are taken when you release L1. Just don't release it.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »