Home

JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2019, 11:48 AM   #65
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: JoshC1977's MLB 19 Sliders

Josh, how are steals looking for you? This is literally the only part of the game that has me questioning the OP at all, everything else has been amazing. It seems like I get thrown out about 50% of the time, while the Rays IRL are only getting thrown out about 20% of the time. Meanwhile most years the best catchers will throw out about 35-40% of base stealers. Right now, with Mike Zunino (64 arm strength and 78 accuracy), I'm throwing out well over 50% of all base stealers. With an average arm like Zunino's, that should be more like 25%, maybe 30% at the very most. I definitely don't have a huge sample size as I've only attempted about 15 steals so far and the CPU probably around the same. Just curious if you were seeing similar things and maybe thinking about bumping BR Steal Ability to 6?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2019, 01:47 PM   #66
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc020791
Josh, how are steals looking for you? This is literally the only part of the game that has me questioning the OP at all, everything else has been amazing. It seems like I get thrown out about 50% of the time, while the Rays IRL are only getting thrown out about 20% of the time. Meanwhile most years the best catchers will throw out about 35-40% of base stealers. Right now, with Mike Zunino (64 arm strength and 78 accuracy), I'm throwing out well over 50% of all base stealers. With an average arm like Zunino's, that should be more like 25%, maybe 30% at the very most. I definitely don't have a huge sample size as I've only attempted about 15 steals so far and the CPU probably around the same. Just curious if you were seeing similar things and maybe thinking about bumping BR Steal Ability to 6?
(I'm having the opposite issues in similarly miniscule sample sizes...I can't throw out a runner to save my life...)

I've been doing stat comparisons between 2018 and 1987 as I am beginning to look at possible adjustments for the 87 roster. Major League average for stolen base success last year was right around 70%.

Stolen bases are about the timing of the steal, the pitch location/velo, the luck of the throw, the skill of the runner, how well the pitcher holds the runner, etc.. There are just too many variables to count.

My advice is this, don't let the numbers dictate if a change is warranted. Even a full season of data for 1 team isn't enough (the variance from top to bottom was 20% - from 60% to 80% success rates). We're also talking about such small total team numbers, that merely changing a handful of outcomes can change the percentages significantly on a per-team basis.

This is what I would say, do the successes/non-successes pass the 'smell test' for you? If you don't think they do, then by all means bump it up (Armor, for one, consistently bumps this up a point every year). If things make sense but the numbers haven't added up (yet), then keep pressing forward.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #67
MVP

tc020791's Arena

OVR: 1

These two games truly show how diverse results can be on AS. These games were played back to back. As you can see, they were both totally different.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GameRecap (3).jpg (197.3 KB, 175 views)
File Type: png GameRecap (4).png (1.69 MB, 174 views)
Old 05-14-2019, 10:12 AM   #68
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Keeping this simple: OP updated to change timing sliders back to default following 1.09 release.

(note: I haven't tested yet, but I strongly suspect it will play the same as 4 did pre-patch)

I'll be testing straight AS default to see how that plays too....
Old 05-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #69
Pro

No.27's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Keeping this simple: OP updated to change timing sliders back to default following 1.09 release.

(note: I haven't tested yet, but I strongly suspect it will play the same as 4 did pre-patch)

I'll be testing straight AS default to see how that plays too....
That’s the advantage of not straying too far away from Default. Hopefully there won’t be a lot to tinker with to get it playing great again.
Old 05-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #70
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Josh-In your opinion has the post patch timing adjustment reduced cpu offense potency? I’ve notice it on the human side and have moved all human hitting sliders back to default.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports
Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #71
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

So I got in two games last night with the patch (Reds franchise) and the timing slider adjustment back to default. I had my first 1-0 game since 19 came out (a loss to the Pirates of course) and a 7-2 loss to Miami. I was getting enough hits, just not converting with RISP. The 1-0 game was a beauty between Chris Archer and my newly signed FA Ervin Santana - both teams had chances, but some clutch pitching and defensive plays kept the runs off the board. The 7-2 loss to Miami...I lost my focus, wasn't in a good rhythm with my pitch selection and I did a poor job shrinking the zone while hitting...I have to be better than that.

The timing slider adjustment back to default seemed to work very well in concert with the patch. Very good hit variety, it was tough to square up pitches. I went B2B games without hitting a HR for the first time on 19....something that also makes me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
Josh-In your opinion has the post patch timing adjustment reduced cpu offense potency? I’ve notice it on the human side and have moved all human hitting sliders back to default.
OK..so Gman, you posted this as I was writing this up, so I am going to respond here. Now, I did play a bit on pure default and it was back to line-drive, line-drive, line-drive - which I don't want to see (at all).

We already have the timing back to default in the OP and that seems to be working well. That 1-0 game, both teams had 4 hits (game had a strong wind blowing-in too). The second game, Miami had 14 hits and my Votto-less Reds had 11. So, definitely two different games. But yeah, I know what you're getting at; I want to see though how the next 3-4 games go for me. (I will say that I had a very difficult time driving the ball, but my discipline was crappy last night too...)

That said, I am VERY dis-inclined to change the solid hits back to default. If I were to make a change, it would be reverting the pitch control back to default. That pitch control slider is a direct counter to the hitting, so that offset in favor of the pitcher may be causing an imbalance. It very well could be that the very subtle tweak SDS made to timing is enough to allow for default pitch control to work without seeing that offensive explosion.

But, I'm not ready to quite go down that road just yet. I'd really like to get feedback on the OP from others and also get some more data points from my own playing.

=====================================
A different topic....

Now, I had just begun experimenting before the patch with SP Stamina. Now, the issue I have here (and others have touched on) is that pitch counts (user and CPU) are seemingly too low. The counts in of themselves don't bug me, but when I see an 80 stamina pitcher in August (who is pitching effectively) begin to lose effectiveness around pitch 65-70, I'm not a fan. The SP "dies" around pitch 80-85 (maybe 90), the lower rated LRPs/MRPs come in, are more likely to get shelled and get badly over-worked. Lowering Manager Hook doesn't really address the core issue either, because even if it keeps the SP from getting pulled as early, he's a SP running on fumes who's still in the game.

So what I am looking to do is essentially add about 10 pitches or so to the mix. That 80 stamina guy (on a good start) then begins to slow-down around pitch 75-80 and "die" around pitch 90-95 (maybe 100). That's a much bigger change than it sounds, because more often than not, that should get him through the 6th inning; helping to bypass the MRPs a bit more often in favor of the generally more effective SU men.

I have been working with SP Stamina at 6 both pre and post patch and it's looked good in limited time. My game vs Archer last night (he had an 83 in-game stamina rating), he got into the 7th and exited the game with a 1-0 score but a couple runners on (around 95 pitches). He had a little bit more in the tank (command fading though) and if he had a clean 7th, probably would've hit around 100-105 pitches. My game vs Miami (Caleb Smith who had an awful 65ish stamina rating)...he got through ~70-75 pitches before getting in trouble and getting pulled (I don't remember the exact scenario, but remember thinking that the pull made sense). The user pitchers looked good too, Santana (85 stamina) hit 100 pitches before I had to pull him (Castillo got beat-up a bit and was pulled early). I've had a few other games in the past couple of days, but the two from last night are fresh in my mind.

My gut says SP Stamina at 6 is going to give us what we need. It's not fully tested yet, but I am updating the OP with it to get some feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #72
MVP

OVR: 6

Just to piggyback on your SP stamina comments: the issue is that “getting tired” really means he’s about dead in terms of on field product, and it happens about 10 pitches before I think it should

I absolutely agree with your thought process. It would also allow some of the work horse guys to maybe hit 110-120 pitches, which i have yet to see User or CPU in 19. I know modern baseball isn’t suited to that pitch count, but it does happen from time to time.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »