Home

itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Sliders

This is a discussion on itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:20 PM   #9
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: itbeme23 MLB The Show 20 "A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sliders

I'm currently testing a couple of adjustments to the sliders.

The more I look at HUM Overall Strike %, coupled with the low BB/9 rate, the more inclined I am to start tweaking Human Control/Consistency.

Also, currently testing CPU Strike Frequency at 6 to see the effects on CPU pitch count, approach, and starter outing length.

Will report once I have a few games under my belt.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:06 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Slider

I also like the game to play to realistic stats. I’m using Mike Lowe’s sliders as he also looks to match real life stats. Have you seen his? How many complete games are you getting with your set?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 PM   #11
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Re: itbeme23 The Show 20 "The Stats Approach" A.S. Directional/HOF Classic Sim Slider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLion
I also like the game to play to realistic stats. I’m using Mike Lowe’s sliders as he also looks to match real life stats. Have you seen his? How many complete games are you getting with your set?
Honestly, man, I've been doing so much testing on my own that I haven't even read through any of the other slider threads. Mike's been a regular here for a long time, so I know his set is probably good as well.

All of the slider guys here know what they're doing. Each set has it's strengths, with the biggest variation probably being the interfaces we use (Classic vs. Meter, etc.).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #12
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Here's what I'm currently testing:

Human Pitcher Control: 3
Human Pitcher Consistency: 3

- Trying to lower the first pitch and overall strike percentages for the human. Gotta be careful about these, as they are very sensitive. I enjoy the additional challenge, but once the pitcher's get too wild, then it throws the CPU offensive numbers way off. Hoping this will create an uptick in CPU BBs as well.

CPU Pitcher Control: 4
CPU Pitcher Consistency: 5
CPU Strike Frequency: 6

Part of my theory is correct: the higher the strike frequency, the less the CPU pitcher struggles (i.e. higher strike/ball ratio), which results in longer outings. I've also learned that the Consistency slider is the most sensitive of these three sliders. I tried a combo of (5,6,5) for control, consistency, and strike frequency, and that caused pitchers to paint the black with Greg Maddux-like precision. That combo had a negative effect on count variability, with counts significantly favoring the CPU pitchers. Almost every at-bat was 0-2, or 1-2. Totally nerfed my offense, and had a negative effect on my ability to draw walks (which was already pretty low in the first place). I then tried a combo of 5,4,6 for these three sliders, and counts shifted noticeably in the hitter's favor. That tells me that Consistency is very sensitive, and should not deviate much from default. I'm going to test a combo of 4, 5, 6 for control, consistency, and strike frequency for a couple games to see if I can find the balance I'm looking for. But, with as fickle as this group of sliders seems to be, it may be a trade-off situation like I spoke about in the OP. I don't want to sacrifice other aspects of the set that work really well, just to accomplish the single goal of getting the CPU starter deeper into games.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:03 PM   #13
Pro

OVR: 4

Hey! I really love the idea of these sliders and have been playing games with them. Overall, they feel really good! However, I think the combination of higher baserunning speed and higher fielding+throwing errors make things a bit too offense friendly. On both the HUM and the CPU sides, extra bases are often given up when they don't need to be by OF bobbles or wide throws. (not necessarily counted as errors in-game)
Old 03-26-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by lere2001
Hey! I really love the idea of these sliders and have been playing games with them. Overall, they feel really good! However, I think the combination of higher baserunning speed and higher fielding+throwing errors make things a bit too offense friendly. On both the HUM and the CPU sides, extra bases are often given up when they don't need to be by OF bobbles or wide throws. (not necessarily counted as errors in-game)
Definitely an interesting observation. As I said in the OP the error sliders weren't fully set in stone, and coincidentally, when I first read your post, I was in the middle of a game where there were three different OF throwing errors, even though two of them didn't count as errors in the linescore. I will probably decrease OF Throwing Errors by one click.

Truthfully, I've gone down the rabbit hole with HUM/CPU pitching. Trying to get more HUM BBs, and trying to eek out longer outings by the CPU starters. That's where my focus is right now, so if anybody has any other feedback/observations on the rest of the set, feel free to chime in!

Cheers!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 0

Any changes to your sliders on the OP?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #16
Pro

itbeme23's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLion
Any changes to your sliders on the OP?
Yes, sir.

Just updated the OP.

In my attempt to increase the amount HUM BB/9, I've decreased the Consistency slider to 2. I've tried a few different combinations, but I've started to see the CPU hitters acting a bit wonky when the HUM Control slider is decreased too much. So, if there are any further changes, it will likely be to Consistency. This is very much still "in testing".

To see if I can eek out some longer outings by CPU starters, I've increased CPU Strike Frequency to 6. The hope here is to balance the count variation between hitter's and pitcher's counts. The idea is if the CPU pitchers "struggle" less, the manager will be more inclined to leave them in a bit longer on a per start basis. The auxiliary benefit here would be (in theory), a bit higher first pitch/overall strike percentages for the CPU as well. I'm still very early in my testing, though.

The pitch speed sliders are very much user preference, although they do have an effect on hit variety. I've decreased the both pitch speed sliders down to 8, since that's what feels good for me right now.

I'll keep the thread posted on any other changes, as I'll be playing games throughout the day.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »