Home

JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders

This is a discussion on JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2021, 09:19 AM   #873
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
The biggest change I have found after 2 years of playing 20 and first time playing 21 is the check swing changes... now it is all on me rather then the stats and I HATE IT. it is now a coin toss with every check swing so LOTS MORE strikeouts are happening.. but I still managed to get about 7 walks. have not hit a homer yet. offence has been a struggle but I am rusty this happens to me every year
It's an adjustment for sure; but you'll find that ratings matter SO much more with this game - because the check swing mechanic from past years no longer bails-out users. It CAN feel a bit over-done at times; but as you use higher contact/higher vision hitters, you will find that they really stand-out (far moreso than they did in past games). So while the discipline rating may not matter as much now, the fix to the actual checkswing mechanic allows for all of the other player ratings to stand out a lot more.

I think you'll have a ball....just be patient.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #874
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0

You are right because 99% of the time I could check swing and the umpire would always call I didn't go around. it's changed this year so it isn't bailing me out. so that is fine. I thought though that the ratings had been scraped for it and it was all on me. but if it still matters that is good
Old 10-29-2021, 08:17 AM   #875
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
You are right because 99% of the time I could check swing and the umpire would always call I didn't go around. it's changed this year so it isn't bailing me out. so that is fine. I thought though that the ratings had been scraped for it and it was all on me. but if it still matters that is good
Just to clarify....

The discipline rating no longer factors-in for user batters for check swings (but it does impact pitch avoidance by your hitters). So check swings are based on your skill and some good calls by the umps

So yeah, some people have ignorantly gotten all bent out of shape about it (I did too at first until I realized the sheer brilliance of the change by SDS). They sacrificed the impact of one rating, fixed a major flaw and made virtually every other player rating mean more....looking at the whole picture on the gameplay front, it winds-up being a net win.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #876
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

JoshC1977's "Maximize Player Ratings" MLB 21 Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Just to clarify....

The discipline rating no longer factors-in for user batters for check swings (but it does impact pitch avoidance by your hitters). So check swings are based on your skill and some good calls by the umps

So yeah, some people have ignorantly gotten all bent out of shape about it (I did too at first until I realized the sheer brilliance of the change by SDS). They sacrificed the impact of one rating, fixed a major flaw and made virtually every other player rating mean more....looking at the whole picture on the gameplay front, it winds-up being a net win.

Your opinion.

Over compensated. Massively.

I get plenty of ring ups and called strikes on check swings on 20….after playing well over 500 games easy I know the percentages.

I am not being ignorant about anything. It is an opinion based on extensive playing time not only with 20 but more than enough with 21 to formulate my own opinion that they loused up a critical part of playing baseball.

You can’t check swing on 21 with any semblance of real success.

Again completely over compensated a major mechanism of hitting to cater to the incessant crying of online head to head players who moaned and groaned they could not get strikeouts in 3 inning games or whatever they do online.

Again it is a difference of opinion not ignorance. That is pretty lousy to say that man.

Some people simply like the other game better for many reasons including a better hitting engine.

Those that like 21 better….that is great. But calling out ignorance on a mechanic that was fundamentally changed.

Wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23

Last edited by Armor and Sword; 10-29-2021 at 11:27 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:19 PM   #877
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Armor....

You and I have habitually stated over the years; 60-100 games is needed for a REALLY good sample size to make an informed judgment. Reading the proverbial "tea leaves", this is how I think it went for a lot of folks here:

Many folks were upset over the removal of carryover saves (and/or the changes made to SotS). They got their hands on 21, played a relative handful of games and said, "I'm not vibing with this on defaults and given how upset I am about the other changes SDS made this year, it's not worth pursuing/developing further for my needs." They went back to 20 after minimal (or no) play time on 21 and I 100% respect that choice if it makes one happy. But I do consider opinions (as many I've seen) on gameplay balancing based on tiny sample sizes to be inherently ignorant (which is why I used that term - not as an attack, but I feel it's the most appropriate term using the "lack of knowledge" definition).

Others HAVE played a more statistically-significant number of games on 21 and have gone back to 20 for various reasons (too hard for them, wanted to use different rosters, etc.) -> I respect that as well. Play what you enjoy!!!

The point I was making was this....so many other ratings shine even more brightly now and even if the discipline rating means nothing for check swings (which I don't necessarily agree with either to be fair, but a middle-ground may have been a true challenge for SDS to attain), it has injected greater impacts for many of the other ratings (resulting, IMO, a MUCH more challenging, realistic, and ratings-based experience).

You don't agree with me. That's OK....I don't agree with many of the things you say/do either....

You keep having fun doing what you're doing, I'll do the same, and we'll see what 22 has to offer.
Old 10-29-2021, 03:24 PM   #878
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Armor....

You and I have habitually stated over the years; 60-100 games is needed for a REALLY good sample size to make an informed judgment. Reading the proverbial "tea leaves", this is how I think it went for a lot of folks here:

Many folks were upset over the removal of carryover saves (and/or the changes made to SotS). They got their hands on 21, played a relative handful of games and said, "I'm not vibing with this on defaults and given how upset I am about the other changes SDS made this year, it's not worth pursuing/developing further for my needs." They went back to 20 after minimal (or no) play time on 21 and I 100% respect that choice if it makes one happy. But I do consider opinions (as many I've seen) on gameplay balancing based on tiny sample sizes to be inherently ignorant (which is why I used that term - not as an attack, but I feel it's the most appropriate term using the "lack of knowledge" definition).

Others HAVE played a more statistically-significant number of games on 21 and have gone back to 20 for various reasons (too hard for them, wanted to use different rosters, etc.) -> I respect that as well. Play what you enjoy!!!

The point I was making was this....so many other ratings shine even more brightly now and even if the discipline rating means nothing for check swings (which I don't necessarily agree with either to be fair, but a middle-ground may have been a true challenge for SDS to attain), it has injected greater impacts for many of the other ratings (resulting, IMO, a MUCH more challenging, realistic, and ratings-based experience).

You don't agree with me. That's OK....I don't agree with many of the things you say/do either....

You keep having fun doing what you're doing, I'll do the same, and we'll see what 22 has to offer.

Very fair assessment Josh. I respect that. I hope 22 brings a game I can really love like 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-29-2021, 05:14 PM   #879
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Look all
I can say I’d on 20 I played for 2 years and check swinging 99% of the time the appeal was a ball. Maybe o was just to much of a master at it? I don’t know but it was like that since mlb 18

Mlb 21 only played 4 full games so far it’s 50 50 for sure the umpires are more randomised with it then it once was.

I took the advantage of half price in the store to get 21 des what it’s like. I’m gonna play it longer before I decide it’s pros and cons from 20.

I pray y2y saves is back either way I’ll getting 22 because of the Cleveland change

Last edited by ninertravel; 10-29-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:19 PM   #880
Rookie

Hey Josh, in terms of difficulty, would you think Hall of Fame would work just as well as AS or AS+? Or would it mess with the gameplay, results and sliders too much? I sorta like the larger amount of balls you get on Hall of Fame and it really makes you pick your pitches instead of swinging at every other ball like you can on easier settings. The trade off on Hall of fame seems to be significantly lower scoring games, which I don't like too much. Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »