Home

FenwayMac 2021 HOF Zone Variety Sliders

This is a discussion on FenwayMac 2021 HOF Zone Variety Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-20-2021, 11:30 AM   #17
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: FenwayMac 2021 HOF Zone Variety Sliders

So I ended up going against my general policy of NOT starting a season over and NOT creating a version two simply because the season is so long to play that this simply increases the chances of not finishing. But as I continued along with my first attempt, charting my stats as I went, a few glaring items jumped out at me that really were really outside the norm that really needed a tweak.

As a result I have created a V2 for the vault as well as updated Post #1 if you are interested in trying these out. I feel the feel minor changes have made a pretty dramatic difference in my second franchise season.

Here are the changes and reasons:

POWER - Increased to 4 - One of the main goal of all my sets has been to taper off the power surge of too many HR's and too many extra base hits. with the original setting at three, initial results were great, created about 0-2 HR's per game and 1-3 extra base hits, and rest singles. However, the addition of player fatigue, cold streaks, etc, started to really affect those numbers as a lot of perfect-perfects we becoming soft fly balls and as a result the percentages were becoming a bit skewed.

The increase to four has still tapered the HR and extra base hits, but gives just enough pop in the bat that has held up through 15 games thus far. I am hitting the marks I indicated above and it feels great.

SOLID HITS - Decreased to 3 - As a counter-balance to the increase in power, on a hunch I lowered solid hits to compensate. Results have been good, with a great variety of hit types spread all around the field.

FIELDING SLIDERS - Increased to 4 except for FIELDER REACTION, which stays at three - This one really jumped of the spreadsheet as I noticed an alarming number of triples occurring...about 8% instead of a more reasonable 3% of hits. I have noticed that regardless of sliders, if a ball is hit high and deep in this game it seems to hover forever and the runners are just motoring around the bases before any fielding can even occur. While there does not seem to be an easy fix for those situations, this is more for when the ball gets past the fielder. There are just simply too slow and the result is an off-balance amount of triples (i am pretty sure I even gave up at least two in-the-park homeruns because of this).

Increasing arm strength and run speed seems to counter this, while fielder reaction still allows for the chance to either miff on a sliding catch or misplay an angle. After 15 games my triples are showing 3.85% (human) and 3.94% (CPU) respectively, so much more in line with actual MLB figures.

Anyways, you all are probably knee-deep in your seasons already, but if you feel like you want to try these out the changes are listed in post #1 as well as in the vault.

I would like to start posting some number for you on these settings. I think I would like to get a handful of more game in first to increase the sample size a tad.

Last edited by FenwayMac; 05-20-2021 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2021, 11:43 AM   #18
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0

Do you think your offensive sliders would work for directional hitting?
Old 05-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanm1982
Do you think your offensive sliders would work for directional hitting?

As a general disclaimer, I have never used directional hitting. Not one swing. So I don't just want to jump to conclusions and say "yes", because that would lead you astray.

However, the general idea behind these setting are this. I am looking to squash the abundance of home runs hits and scoring plays, and increase the variety of hits types and results spread across the entire field. The combination of increasing contact, and lowering power, solid hits, and timing seem to work towards achieving this goal.

I would say from an offensive perspective, these sliders should affect the results after the ball comes in contact with the bat, so the end results should still distribute based on the slider setup. You may consider raising/lowering timing, or tweaking pitch speeds to taste, as these will have a slighter impact on your results as opposed to tweaking Contact, Power, or Solid Hits.

From a defensive (fielding and CPU sliders), these should of course work just fine regardless of hitting interface, and the slightly increased aptitude of the fielding speed and arm speed should prevent you from going hog-wild on the computer, while allowing you a more spread-out distribution of hit types.

The old adage is to "try it and see", but definitely give it a good 5-10 games to decide if these are for you.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:07 PM   #20
MVP

bryanm1982's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayMac
As a general disclaimer, I have never used directional hitting. Not one swing. So I don't just want to jump to conclusions and say "yes", because that would lead you astray.

However, the general idea behind these setting are this. I am looking to squash the abundance of home runs hits and scoring plays, and increase the variety of hits types and results spread across the entire field. The combination of increasing contact, and lowering power, solid hits, and timing seem to work towards achieving this goal.

I would say from an offensive perspective, these sliders should affect the results after the ball comes in contact with the bat, so the end results should still distribute based on the slider setup. You may consider raising/lowering timing, or tweaking pitch speeds to taste, as these will have a slighter impact on your results as opposed to tweaking Contact, Power, or Solid Hits.

From a defensive (fielding and CPU sliders), these should of course work just fine regardless of hitting interface, and the slightly increased aptitude of the fielding speed and arm speed should prevent you from going hog-wild on the computer, while allowing you a more spread-out distribution of hit types.

The old adage is to "try it and see", but definitely give it a good 5-10 games to decide if these are for you.
Thanks. I'm a classic/directional guy but I track all my stats and try to get my stats to fall into the averages. I have tried meter a couple of times and I enjoy it. But then I feel bad cause I know classic lets the ratings matter.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:24 AM   #21
Pro

Just wrapped up my first series with the Dodgers and figured it was about time to start sharing some of the numbers I am seeing produced by this V2 slider set. I will focus specifically on the San Diego offensive numbers compared to both the San Diego real-life counterpart as well as MLB average. Bear in mind that 17 games is very early in the stat-settling process, but I feel that I seen already seen some encouraging results, even this early on. I will break these down below with my franchise stats listed as HUM.

Hitting Percentage by Hit Type (MLB, SD, HUM)

1B: (64.3%, 69.0%, 62.0%)
2B: (19.3%, 16.8%, 19.6%)
3B: (1.77%, 1.9%, 3.1%)
HR: (14.6%, 12.2%, 15.3%)

SUMMARY: Early on, my team appears more on-par with MLB average than actual Padres average. Doubles are within the .5% that I am for and singles and HR’s are close as well. Triples is artificially inflated for me due to a flurry of four triples in three nights in Texas and Pittsburgh. Outside of those three games I have a more reasonable three total in 17 games.

Average Hits per Game by Hit Type (MLB SD, HUM)

1B: 5.06, 5.52, 5.94,
2B: 1.52, 1.38, 1.88
3B: 0.14, .0.15, 0.29
HR: 1.15, 0.98, 1.47

SUMMARY: Overall my team is averaging 10.01 hits a game compared to MLB 7.87 average. As a result each of my average hits is slightly higher than the norm, although you will notice that the largest variation is in singles (+0.88), while both doubles and home runs are only about 1/3 of a hit higher per game average. Lowering the power hits is a main goal of my set, so I am very happy to see these results

BABIP (MLB,SD,HUM)

.289, .287, .291

SUMMARY: Right in line with MLB and actual Padre average

Scoring Plays

While you would think that there is a stat tracked for everything baseball (average time of baseball games has only improved by three minutes since all of the efforts began to speed up the game), I cannot seem to find any sort of site that tracks HOW runs were scored. If anybody happens to know of a site out there, I would love to take a look at it. However, I will show you my team breakdown through 17 games.

HUM Scoring play spread (17 games and 58 scoring plays)

1B: 29.31%
2B: 15.52%
3B: 3.45%
HR 39.66%
SF 6.90%
BB: 1.72%
Other: 3.45%

SUMMARY: I did find an article indicating that Homeruns in 2019 accounted for a record 45.2% of scoring and 43.7% last season. If that is the case then I am happy to report a sub 40% scoring by homerun through 17 games. I am currently 6th in the league in homeruns.

Plenty of more numbers to report as the season moves along. If there is a specific stat you are curious about I am happy to share.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2021, 12:12 PM   #22
Pro

Every game against the Dodgers is a grind. Their timely first pitch hits, mysterious contact, and extra base bleeders against the shift are enough to drive you nuts. I cannot get out of LA fast enough. Took this one though with a Herculean effort from Darvish, who worked out of Dodger comeback jams all afternoon. I also smacked a slider out with Tatis. I really struggle with sliders.

San Diego Padres at Los Angeles Dodgers
Jan 1, 123456789RHE
San Diego (13-9)020000010390
Los Angeles (15-5)000100000171
W: Yu Darvish L: Dustin May S: Drew Pomeranz (8)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSSDGLAD
SDG2Caratini doubled to right. Myers scores10
SDG2Kim doubled to center. Caratini scores20
LAD4Smith grounded to center for a single. Seager scores21
SDG8Tatis Jr. homered to left (396 feet).31
San Diego Padres
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
2B: Caratini (2), Kim (4)
3B: Grisham (2)
HR: Tatis Jr. (6)
RBI: Tatis Jr. (11), Caratini (4), Kim (9)
GIDP: Darvish, Kim
Los Angeles Dodgers
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
2B: Seager (4), Smith (3)
RBI: Smith (15)
SAC: May
GIDP: Lux
FIELDING:
E: Smith (2)
San Diego Padres
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Darvish (W, 3-2)8.06110401.87
Pomeranz (S,8)1.01000103.48
Los Angeles Dodgers
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
May (L, 1-1)5.06222402.50
Price1.01000000.84
Grateral2.02110013.27
Jansen1.00000000.00
Old 06-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #23
Pro

All the numbers pointed towards a lopsided matchup with the Pirates and San Diego took advantage by spraying the ball all around the field for a 9-1 win. scoring plays for the Padres: 1 HR, 4 singles, 1 double, 1 BB, and one SF)

Pittsburgh Pirates at San Diego Padres
Jan 1, 123456789RHE
Pittsburgh (8-21)010000000170
San Diego (19-12)12230100x9161
W: Blake Snell L: Mitch Keller S: Chris Paddack (1)
Scoring Summary
SCORING DETAILSPITSDG
SDG1Hosmer his a sacrifice fly to Tom (SF9). Cronenworth scores01
PIT2Susac homered to left (365 feet)11
SDG2Caratini homered to right (393 feet) Myers scores13
SDG3Profar doubled to center. Machado scores.14
SDG3Grisham grounded to right for a single. Profar scores. 15
SDG4Profar lined to right for a single. Pham scores. 16
SDG4Grisham walked. Machado scores17
SDG4Caratini lined to right for a single. Hosmer scores18
SDG6Caratini lined to center for a single. Profar scores19
Pittsburgh Pirates
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
2B: Reynolds (8), Gonzalez (2)
3B: Tom (2)
HR: Susac (1)
RBI: Susac (1)
GIDP: Gonzalez
San Diego Padres
HITTERSABRHRBIBBSOHRAVG
BATTING:
2B: Pham (8), Profar 2 (6), Ruiz (2)
HR: Caratini (2)
RBI: Grisham 2 (19), Hosmer (9), Profar 2 (6), Caratini 4 (9)
SF: Hosmer
FIELDING:
E: Caratini (2)
Pittsburgh Pirates
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Keller (L 1-3)3.09661216.92
Stratton1.03222104.03
Howard2.04110102.66
Underwood Jr.2.00000003.22
San Diego Padres
PITCHERSIPHRERBBSOHRERA
Snell (W, 3-0)6.07111411.40
Paddack (S,1)3.00000102.21
Old 07-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #24
N.W.O. - NO WR OPEN

Checmate101's Arena

OVR: 28

Good slider set, was there any changes to these since the last update?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Uconn Huskies
Miami Hurricanes

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »