Home

Throw power and run speed are completely wrong at default

This is a discussion on Throw power and run speed are completely wrong at default within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 5
Throw power and run speed are completely wrong at default

A 99 arm OF in real baseball can make a strong throw from the foul pole to home. You will never see that in game at default. A 99 speed hitter can beat out routine ground balls which again can't happen on default.

All sliders should start from 10 throw power and 10 run speed. It's still not perfect but anything less just gets way more unrealistic.

I've seen claims this will remove seperation in ratings which is not true. Pujols and Molina are still painfully slow. 40 arm OF will still have any long throw fizzle and die.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #2
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Throw power and run speed are completely wrong at default

I have decreased IF throw strength to help fast guys beat out double plays and ground balls a bit more. I probably need to lower it one more tbh. I have OF arm strength at 6 but thinking it could be raised more to 7 or 8 and test it out there. I agree OF arm strength at default is not good at all.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Operation Sports mobile app

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwK...FogGcUlqoCYDTg
Old 06-02-2021, 10:03 PM   #3
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

OVR: 0

In my slider set infield arm strength is 4 and outfield arm strength is 6. At default 5 not only did the animations look too fast in the infield, on a few occasions it would show the show track stats and the throw speed was too fast for my liking. I raised the outfield to 6 to somewhat allow those really amazing throws to 3rd and home from right field with strong arms. While not perfect, I think the balance plays out nicely.
Old 06-07-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Jeez, I cannot imagine playing with those sliders that high. The game out of box is comically fast and looks silly more often than not.

I play with the fielder speeds at 1 with reaction at 2, and I put baserunner speeds down to I believe 2 as well. My throwing strengths are also around 2 or 3. These settings result in the speed of the game being much more like real life.

On default 5 baserunner speed you'll see average speed guys getting to 1st at around 3 seconds. I feel like at 10 you'd see a 99 speed guy get to 1st within 2.5 seconds which would be the fastest human ever

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 06-07-2021, 11:24 AM   #5
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Jeez, I cannot imagine playing with those sliders that high. The game out of box is comically fast and looks silly more often than not.

I play with the fielder speeds at 1 with reaction at 2, and I put baserunner speeds down to I believe 2 as well. My throwing strengths are also around 2 or 3. These settings result in the speed of the game being much more like real life.

On default 5 baserunner speed you'll see average speed guys getting to 1st at around 3 seconds. I feel like at 10 you'd see a 99 speed guy get to 1st within 2.5 seconds which would be the fastest human ever

There is a time dilation effect that is impacted by slider settings. It is entirely possible to turn speeds down and have the game appear faster.

I only noticed it because of the posted bat exit velocities. What looked like an easy grounder would come to my SS, who would then fire it far harder across the diamond to get the out. Looked natural until the bat exit velocity got posted as 90 mph.

Have to disagree on the baserunners on default though. They look like they are running through shin high water. I even timed them. Buxton was taking around 7 seconds to reach first. Way too slow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2021, 12:16 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
There is a time dilation effect that is impacted by slider settings. It is entirely possible to turn speeds down and have the game appear faster.

I only noticed it because of the posted bat exit velocities. What looked like an easy grounder would come to my SS, who would then fire it far harder across the diamond to get the out. Looked natural until the bat exit velocity got posted as 90 mph.

Have to disagree on the baserunners on default though. They look like they are running through shin high water. I even timed them. Buxton was taking around 7 seconds to reach first. Way too slow.

I can't imagine 20 and 21 are that different, but with my baserunner speeds reduced to where they are, my fastest players like Acuna, Pache, and Swanson all get to 1st around 4 seconds depending on the hit. Players do slow down in game on for sure singles even when they round the bag, so when I've timed them before I've left it this slow to account for that.

I'm definitely not seeing anyone take 7 seconds to get to 1st, even the slow pokes. I may look at it tonight and try to accurately hand time it and see if it still holds up. In past Shows it did and it is why I always lower the speeds via the sliders each year. This year I didn't bother timing much, but it all looks proper in live action so I've left it.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-07-2021 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:48 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Here's a clip that can let you get a rough timing with base runner speed turned down to 1 or 2. Acuna hits the ball and is at 1st within 4.5 seconds even with the slowdown at 1st the runners do in this game on that type of single. Then Albies gets to 2nd within 8-9 seconds on his double and Acuna gets from 1st to home in 10-11 seconds.

With the default slider at 5 you can basically take 1 to 2 seconds off each of those times and you'll get some funny looking gameplay, imo, as those times are way too quick at that point and the animations don't look all too well moving unrealistically fast.
https://clips.twitch.tv/EmpathicSpee..._Y4KeHBRLbr8q4

For some references, in real life according to statcast Acuna has a 4.28 HP to 1B time. The fastest this year is Byron Buxton at 3.96.

I don't doubt you saying on default 5 with MLB 20 that you saw him take 7 seconds to get to 1st, but as you can see by my video, having baserunner speed at 1 or 2, I really can't remember what I have it at, Acuna and Albies are definitely running faster than that and Albies has average speed in the game.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-07-2021 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #8
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Here's a clip that can let you get a rough timing with base runner speed turned down to 1 or 2. Acuna hits the ball and is at 1st within 4.5 seconds even with the slowdown at 1st the runners do in this game on that type of single. Then Albies gets to 2nd within 8-9 seconds on his double and Acuna gets from 1st to home in 10-11 seconds.

With the default slider at 5 you can basically take 1 to 2 seconds off each of those times and you'll get some funny looking gameplay, imo, as those times are way too quick at that point and the animations don't look all too well moving unrealistically fast.
https://clips.twitch.tv/EmpathicSpee..._Y4KeHBRLbr8q4

For some references, in real life according to statcast Acuna has a 4.28 HP to 1B time. The fastest this year is Byron Buxton at 3.96.

I don't doubt you saying on default 5 with MLB 20 that you saw him take 7 seconds to get to 1st, but as you can see by my video, having baserunner speed at 1 or 2, I really can't remember what I have it at, Acuna and Albies are definitely running faster than that and Albies has average speed in the game.

Well it's definitely possible things are balanced differently in 21. Without personal hands on I have no way of knowing.

The clip looks good in terms of running. Bit slow but within margin for error. That ball seemed a little slow for an 80 mph chopper and the OF look a little noodle-armed, but I can hardly call a 2 play clip a big enough sample size to make slider adjustments/suggestions.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »