Home

Looking for beginner sliders

This is a discussion on Looking for beginner sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-04-2021, 04:38 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 8

Brand new to baseball games. I know how baseball works but I need beginner sliders, to obviously learn how to play the game the right way.

Thank you in advance!

Late June Edit:

Dynamic Difficulty Sensitivity: 6
Human Contact: 5
Human Power: 6
Human Timing: 5
Human Foul Frequency: 4
Human Solid Hits: 5
Human Starter Stamina: 6
Human Reliever Stamina: 5
Human Pitcher Control: 5
Human Pitcher Consistency: 5
CPU Contact: 5
CPU Power: 5
CPU Timing: 4
CPU Foul Frequency: 6
CPU Solid Hits: 4
CPU Starter Stamina: 6
CPU Reliever Stamina: 5
CPU Pitcher Control: 4
CPU Pitcher Consistency: 4
CPU Strike Frequency: 5
CPU Manager Hook: 5
CPU Pickoffs: 4
Fastball Pitch Speed: 5
Offspeed Pitch Speed: 5
Fielding Errors Infield: 4
Fielding Errors Outfield: 4
Throwing Errors Infield: 4
Throwing Errors Outfield: 4
Fielder Run Speed: 6
Fielder Reaction: 7
Fielder Arm Strength Infield: 5
Fielder Arm Strength Outfield: 6
Baserunner Speed: 5
Baserunner Steal Ability: 5
Baserunner Steal Frequency: 4
Wind: 3

Last edited by zten11; 06-24-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2021, 04:54 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Looking for beginner sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11
Brand new to baseball games. I know how baseball works but I need beginner sliders, to obviously learn how to play the game the right way.

Thank you in advance!
As long as you understand the sport, I'd strongly recommend going into Options Explorer (found at the bottom of the main menu - press D-pad down to see the whole menu) and trying out all of the various options to see what you like best. I'd do this before getting into the sliders at all.

IMO, Directional hitting/Classic Pitching with Baserunning/Fielding/Throwing all on auto is probably the easiest combination for a beginner to play the game on, but that means the player ratings have a lot of control over the outcome. If you want to have more impact on the game as a player, you might want to try some of the other options.

You can save the settings you want to use from Options Explorer as your default, and also jump right into a game (vs LA I think) when you're done with the options settings.
Old 06-04-2021, 07:26 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by zten11

Thank you in advance!
I'd say give my sliders a try: as REAL as IT gets! Maybe lower the level to Veteran on hitting/pitching until you feel ready to raise the level. BUT afterwards, give me some idea how they play for you and I'll help you adjust.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
MVP

“Leave sliders alone and put it on dynamic difficulty” gets my vote.

I’m currently playing out the entire spring on dynamic with Cy’s roster. It’s currently at HOF+ for pitching and Veteran+ for hitting, will be interesting to see where it’s at when spring is over.

I’ll probably make a thread about it when I’m done.

Point is, Dynamic starts you off on Rookie and gets harder the better you perform. It’s perfect for beginners. You don’t need to go messing with sliders right out of the gate.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:19 AM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
“Leave sliders alone and put it on dynamic difficulty” gets my vote.

I’m currently playing out the entire spring on dynamic with Cy’s roster. It’s currently at HOF+ for pitching and Veteran+ for hitting, will be interesting to see where it’s at when spring is over.

I’ll probably make a thread about it when I’m done.

Point is, Dynamic starts you off on Rookie and gets harder the better you perform. It’s perfect for beginners. You don’t need to go messing with sliders right out of the gate.
The ONLY issue with Dynamic ON full throttle is that the stats will be out of walk. IF you don't want to compete for awards or All-Star bids have at it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2021, 10:25 AM   #6
Pro

knucklecutter's Arena

I'd leave the sliders on default for the sole reason of being brand new to the game. Once the user gets used to it then they can lean towards creating a better / more realistic experience. Also I recommend directional hitting, classic pitching, auto fielding, and possibly auto throwing.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #7
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

Welcome to the Show!

So there are 2 parts to this. Sliders and settings. Settings matter in MLB a bit more than they do in other sports games.

So I will make some recommendations.

For difficulty, I would start on either veteran or all star. Ratings matter more on all star. Veteran will be easier than all star.

For sliders, I would recommend default until you settle on a difficulty. And you see what you feel needs adjusted. Looking at the sliders forum you see multiple people have different ideas for the same difficulty. No slider set is one size fits all. I will not recommend one set over the other or mine over others as they all have their nuances and are not universal. No sliders ever are.

For settings, this I will recommend taking a look at mine. They are in my first post of my slider thread here. I explain why I choose what I choose and have notes in some settings for the new player. The difference in mine versus some others is that I am less clean screen than most. I like some clean screen but I also like some of my tools, like stamina and pitch selection, to be on screen for easy viewing.

In settings still, I would recommend directional hitting and classic pitching. Learning them is easy as it is just a button push until you learn the nuances of them. I would highly recommend auto fielding. It lets the fielders play to their ability. Throwing can go either way but manual keeps you engaged in the field.

For baserunning, I do not recommend auto as the ai baserunning is not good at all.

Another big selection is camera angles. Go into a game and when you are pitching and batting, go through the cameras to see what you like. I recommend a view like fish eye for hitting. You get the immersion of seeing the batter and you can pick up the ball well. Avoid broadcast type views for hitting. Meaning anything where the pitcher is closer than the hitter. For pitching, I would recommend broadcast or outfield views. You want the pitcher to be closer than the hitter here. Play with the cameras. Find what works best for you. This is more important than sliders.

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Old 06-05-2021, 01:42 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherfan076
The ONLY issue with Dynamic ON full throttle is that the stats will be out of walk. IF you don't want to compete for awards or All-Star bids have at it.
I have it maxed for spring; none of the stats count. Even if they did, not sure I buy this. “Out of whack” compared to what? — If I broke my back for 30 games on Legend and ended up with a .122 team BA would that not make the stats “out of whack” too? Literally no difference.

Edit: I do see what you mean now. I don’t think that matters either because of how long and convoluted a seasons is. Injuries, hot steaks, opposing pitcher that day, etc. Hitting on HOF+ instead of AS for game 45 through game 77 is not screwing up any stat lines. At least not in my experience.

Edit 2: Also, having the slider at 10 only makes it change difficulty level quickly if and when your performance changes. So wild fluctuations in difficulty level really isn’t a thing after you settle into your actual skillet. I’ve been on HOF+ pitching for days for example. Interested to see where I end up after spring is over, is all. That’s why I have it on 10. I thought I mentioned that.

The point was, if you’re looking to be eased into this game as a beginner, Dynamic is perfect. Not sure how anyone could disagree unless they’ve just thrown the entire idea away from then beginning.

Last edited by Detroit Tigers; 06-05-2021 at 02:24 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »