Home

AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders

This is a discussion on AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders within the MLB The Show Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-26-2022, 10:35 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: AZYankees Old Guy Quick Count Veteran Sliders

OP updated, have just been working to get that balance for Ks for the CPU and extra base hits for user. I will be starting a second franchise as well, probably Pirates or Tigers so I have two user teams with varying talent levels.
Old 05-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #10
Rookie

OP updated with what is looking like the final set at this stage, with tweaks revolving around making the CPU batter more dangerous and balancing extra base hits for the user.

Used extreme teams in franchise mode (Pirates and Yankees) to test and will now continue playing on a middle of the road team (Cubs) to expand the sample size while waiting for community rosters.
Old 05-04-2022, 12:16 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thanks for doing these. As a fellow old guy, I will give them a try!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-04-2022, 12:31 PM   #12
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverarity
Thanks for doing these. As a fellow old guy, I will give them a try!
Awesome and please share any feedback, I am trying to account for all variables by playing different teams, and more eyes help for sure
Old 05-04-2022, 01:32 PM   #13
Rookie

dandeb's Arena

OVR: 3

You're correct in saying the CPU hitting isn't dangerous enough. I'll try a few changes as well to see if that's possible.
Old 05-04-2022, 09:57 PM   #14
Rookie

Well, the object of the tweaks was to make the CPU offense more dangerous and starting a new franchise with the (hopefully) final set as a mid tier franchise, off to a good start. Careless/mediocre pitching took some lumps as the Cubs open the season.

Game 1
Cubs 4-9-0 2B 3, HR 1, W 3 K 13
Reds 2-8-0 2B 1, HR 2, W 0 K 8
Hendricks pitched a solid game, put left trailing 2-0 after 7. Cubs got to the Reds bullpen though and Frank Schwindel played hero with a 2 run blast in the 9th, though we struck out 13 times along the way.
Cubs HR: Schwindel (1)
W: Robertson 1-0

Game 2
Cubs 3-5-0 2B 2, HR 2, W 4, K 9
Reds 4-10-0 2B 2, HR 2, W 4, K 9
Marcus Stroman was money and left with a 3 run lead, which we carried into the 9th, Chris Martin came in to close it and imploded. Two HR to the first 3 batters faced and the lone out a fly to the wall. Should have pulled him then, put didn't and the Reds walk it off.
Cubs HR: Happ (1) Schwindel (2)
L: Martin 0-1

Game 3
Cubs 7-14-0 2B 2, HR 4, W 1, K 8
Reds 14-17-0 2B 4, HR 3, W 4, K 7
The gas cans were in full effect here, Wade Miley gets chased after 3 and trail 5-1. The Cubbies claw back behind the long ball and Clint Frazier's 2nd blast ties it at 7. Then another implosion as the Reds fashion a 7 run 8th to run away with it.
Cubs HR: Schwindel (3), Frazier 2 (2), Suzuki (1)
L: Wick 0-1
Old 05-04-2022, 11:13 PM   #15
Rookie

Game 4
Cardinals 1-3-0 2B 1, HR 0, W 1, K 11
Cubs 6-12-0 2B 1, HR 2, W 1, K10
After getting lambasted by the Reds for 17 hits last time out, Alec Mills turns in a gem, perfect through 6 2/3 he settles for the decisive win as Suzuki begins to shake off a slow start. (Schwindel is hitting well over .400 as well and filling Rizzo's cleats nicely)
Cubs HR: Contreras (1), Suzuki (2)
W: Mills 1-0
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-27-2022, 10:05 AM   #16
Pro

iRepOklahoma's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZYankee
As the title indicates, these are quick count sliders, tailored for guys like me north of 50 that don't have the stick skills we had when we were playing Coleco Baseball in the 80's

So why veteran difficulty? Quite honestly I like the animations better on that level, seems to play smoother, less "arcady" and I swear I have seen animations on this difficulty that I don't see on others. Of course that could also be old guy memory, but I'm sticking to that story.

So the challenge was then to create sliders that still kept the CPU competitive, while providing an enjoyable, less frustrating experience for the seasoned gamer. I am now comfortable with these and ready to start my Yankee's franchise after 50+ games of testing/tweaking.

Final Version 05/03/22 See* for change Finally happy with additional tweaks, mainly centered around timing and solid hits. Did additional franchise testing with Yankees and Pirates, to get a good range of good/average/bad player skills and I think these are good to go. Starting a Cubs franchise for results tracking, until the final rosters come out for my official Yankee franchise.

Hitting Difficulty- Veteran
Hitting Interface: Directional
Guess Pitch: Off
Baserunning: Auto

Pitching Difficulty- Veteran
Pitching Interface: Classic
Pitch Confidence: On

Fielding: Auto
Throwing Interface: Buttons
Throwing Meter: Off

General:
Gameplay Style: Simulation
Fielding Aids: Off
Strike Zone: Off
Hot Zones: Off
Wind: On
Dynamic Difficulty Updates: N/A
Balks: User preference

Umpire Accuracy: User Preference, I go with umpire specific

User/CPU

Contact: 3/7* (CPU contact needed a slight bump and this separates how they hit good vs bad pitchers)
Power: 3/5*
Timing: 3/7 (3 is fine as you will get plenty of hard hit balls and dingers, especially with solid hits now at 5. If you do bump to 4, definitely increase pitch speed to compensate, in fact lower pitch speed a click before you bump timing as the difference from 3 to 4 is significant)
Foul Frequency: 0/2
Solid Hits: 5*/5 - This setting is definitely not as OP this year, so 5 is proving vital to get enough doubles
SP Stamina: 5/5
RP Stamina: 7/7
Pitcher Control: 1/6 (These play in conjunction with the consistency sliders)
Pitcher Consistency: 0/0 (The reason for user on 0 is to prevent you from painting the corners, even with the lower control. For CPU, control bumped so the pitchers are not just plain wild and this at 0 to stop the CPU from giving you a waist level meatball when behind in the count. Also brings in ratings more for human and CPU)
Strike Frequency: N/A on QC
CPU Manager Hook: 5
CPU Pickoffs: 0
Pitch Speed: User Preference I use 5 now. This is the one to bump up a notch if user Ks are a bit low, or down if you have issues with the lower timing.

Fielding/Baserunning

Infield Errors: 7
Outfield Errors: 6
Throwing Errors Infield: 1
Throwing Errors Outfield: 5
Fielder Run Speed: 1 (Thanks to Bryanm1982 for most of the speed sliders)
Fielder Reaction: 3 (This has to be bumped to 3 in this mode, any lower and fielders stand there like posts until the ball is halfway to them)
Arm IF: 1
Arm OF: 5
Baserunner Speed: 2 (Gets the right amount of infield hits being a tick up from arm, and faster players advance accordingly on hits. Doubles are solid and triples happen if you have some speed)
Steal Ability: 6
Steal Frequency: 4
Wind: 5
Game Played Injury Frequency: 8
Simulation Injury Frequency: 5

There you have it, I will post game results here as I go, but I really like how pitchers perform close to their ratings and Joey Gallo in my testing was still hitting .190
Just what I'm looking for I hope. Thanks for sharing!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Sliders »