Home

My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show

This is a discussion on My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2022, 03:38 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: My opinion on the "Current State" of MLB The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Why 14, if you don't mind me asking?

Thats right around the time I got onboard, I can't remember if it was 14 or 15... but I can hardly hit now... and I remember one of those versions I couldn't hit at all.
because it was the first Show on the ps4, and that roster Baltimore had that year has turned out to be my personal favorite. I have won every other division's title playing a season, except the AL East. it's my white whale that just exceeds my reach, and the Show 14 Orioles is the one that seems to give me the best chance to capture that divisions flag (I'd sooner play with the Auburn Tigers before I play with any other team in the AL East. RTR!).
I've made the wild card with Baltimore plenty times but cannot quite get over the hump with Boston, Tampa, Toronto and the Yankees in the way.

Show 14 ps4 version does have it's share of flaws and warts, like such as no SotS and needs editable contracts and classic stadiums, it still has provided me what has turned out to be unlimited replayability. that's a rare feat for me when it comes to sports games. another great thing I like about older Show years is once they are decommissioned from online, I don't get bombarded with all the annoying DD ads and other similar clutter stuffs

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2022, 01:39 PM   #26
MVP

kinsmen7's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
because it was the first Show on the ps4, and that roster Baltimore had that year has turned out to be my personal favorite. I have won every other division's title playing a season, except the AL East. it's my white whale that just exceeds my reach, and the Show 14 Orioles is the one that seems to give me the best chance to capture that divisions flag (I'd sooner play with the Auburn Tigers before I play with any other team in the AL East. RTR!).
I've made the wild card with Baltimore plenty times but cannot quite get over the hump with Boston, Tampa, Toronto and the Yankees in the way.

Show 14 ps4 version does have it's share of flaws and warts, like such as no SotS and needs editable contracts and classic stadiums, it still has provided me what has turned out to be unlimited replayability. that's a rare feat for me when it comes to sports games. another great thing I like about older Show years is once they are decommissioned from online, I don't get bombarded with all the annoying DD ads and other similar clutter stuffs
Ouuuu, Crush Davis, very young Machado, and very good Adam Jones. Tons of fun! The fact that Zack Britton was the 2nd most valuable pitcher on that team is hilarious as well.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:02 PM   #27
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
Ouuuu, Crush Davis, very young Machado, and very good Adam Jones. Tons of fun! The fact that Zack Britton was the 2nd most valuable pitcher on that team is hilarious as well.
Such a fun team. I still have a season on the Vita version of 14 with them I need to finish. Markakis, Delmon Young, JJ Hardy, Nelson Cruz, Schoop. That lineup was so much fun to use.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-09-2022, 11:01 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

if I enjoyed Diamond Dynasty half as much as I do franchise mode, I'd always permanently shelve the current year's version of the Show for the newest release, no hesitation

I hope the DD'ers are taking full advantage of the current state the Studio has the Show presently.
these are their good old days, but nothing last forever, even cold November rain.
10 years ago that ''current'' state was awesome, so much potential.
if you'd told me then I wouldn't recognise the Show 10 years on, I'd said you're crazy.
so much potential. and as great as the game is, I'd still say that potential
(at least for franchise mode) never fully materialised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsmen7
...The fact that Zack Britton was the 2nd most valuable pitcher on that team is hilarious as well.
lol yeah, I kept pitchers as they were in the default roster, Britton was still basically a minor leaguer in the 14 default, and a starter to boot. Tommy Hunter would have been the O's de facto closer in Show 14, but O'Day gets that nod from me. I have a terrible bullpen and while I'd prefer to use Hunter in long relief, considering his stamina, I just can't afford not to use him as my 8th inning guy

A Work in Progress
Old 08-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #29
Rookie

Ragnar84's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
My expectations for EA and College Football are extremely low and I hope to be completely blown away.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

TRUST, I don’t trust them to make this the best college FB video game fans deserve for being patient and dedicated since ‘14. HOPE AND PRAY, but a billion dollar company needs to restart the series with momentum and positive energy otherwise they will be digging out of a hole after year 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #30
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Getting back to the topic at hand...I don't think the current state of the game is in a bad place where franchise users are being ignored. In fact, I think its quite the opposite. I think for the first time in several years that franchise mode is looked upon as a focal point of development with the addition of sim heads/franchise nuts like Tim (Tbarnes). While I'm as saddened and frustrated as the next person that Y2Y saves was removed, I do believe that it might be, at this time, what is best and what is needed for franchise mode to expand to the level that the franchise gamer wants, and honestly where it should've been years ago. And yes I'm aware that there hasn't been a drastic improvement in franchise mode since the removal of Y2Y saves, but I attribute this to the thought that a lot of "under the hood" coding needs to be re-done or re-written to provide a foundation to add those features and depths that we want.

As for my leaving '22, it really isn't due to the state of franchise mode, but more so because of an "issue" that I encountered that dampened my enjoyment of my current franchise. All things told, the overall package of franchise mode is better in '22 than '21, but this "issue" doesn't allow me to enjoy the mode as much as I did in previous years. And the issue may be self inflicted due to how I structured my rosters, or could be a happenstance within my particular franchise where something occurred that wouldn't occur again if I repeated the same situation several times over. But in the end, it knocked the wind out of the sails of my franchise and its hard for me to re-gain that same level of immersion when something like this happens. In short, its more likely a CB problem than a '22 problem.

But it shouldn't be lost, that I had played 2 full seasons and was well into a 3rd when I stopped (nearly 500 games), so its not as though I didn't play or enjoy '22 at all, unlike '17 where I just didn't feel the game at all and continued playing '16. And in fact, I still have '22 loaded and still play it occasionally and still putter around my franchise, issues be damned. But as I said, its hard to recapture that immersion when I've stepped out my virtual world, especially after re-immersing myself in an old universe.

But overall '22 is a damn good game, especially on the field where it matters most. And I think the current state of the series as a whole is in just as good of place as its ever been, maybe even better. And I look forward to what the future holds for this series with '23, '24 and beyond.

I'm sorry for being long winded, just wanted to chime in my two copper coins.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals

Last edited by countryboy; 08-10-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:31 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
I don't think the current state of the game is in a bad place where franchise users are being ignored. In fact, I think its quite the opposite. I think for the first time in several years that franchise mode is looked upon as a focal point of development with the addition of sim heads/franchise nuts like Tim (Tbarnes). While I'm as saddened and frustrated as the next person that Y2Y saves was removed, I do believe that it might be, at this time, what is best and what is needed for franchise mode to expand to the level that the franchise gamer wants, and honestly where it should've been years ago. And yes I'm aware that there hasn't been a drastic improvement in franchise mode since the removal of Y2Y saves, but I attribute this to the thought that a lot of "under the hood" coding needs to be re-done or re-written to provide a foundation to add those features and depths that we want.

As for my leaving '22, it really isn't due to the state of franchise mode, but more so because of an "issue" that I encountered that dampened my enjoyment of my current franchise. All things told, the overall package of franchise mode is better in '22 than '21, but this "issue" doesn't allow me to enjoy the mode as much as I did in previous years. And the issue may be self inflicted due to how I structured my rosters, or could be a happenstance within my particular franchise where something occurred that wouldn't occur again if I repeated the same situation several times over. But in the end, it knocked the wind out of the sails of my franchise and its hard for me to re-gain that same level of immersion when something like this happens...
yeah, I myself haven't 100% given up hope on the future for franchise, I'm still optimistic that the new platforms (xbox & nintendo) for the Show will eventually pay off in spades, and hopefully Sony will begin to reinvest heavily in franchise. but if that doesn't pan out, they're dangerously close to jumping the shark IMO

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2022, 10:39 AM   #32
Pro

KingOfLanglade's Arena

Game is still so much fun for me. Haven’t been as active on the forum being a first time dad this year, and first time home buyer this summer. I think those life events have put gaming in perspective in my life. I more so lurk here now, and I’m not so bent out of shape anymore when a jersey isn’t right or a stadium isn’t updated.

I’m still hunting for a sim experience in my franchise, and appreciate the work done by the contributors on this site. It’s just, times have changed personally.
"You can't sit on a lead and run a few plays into the line and just kill the clock. You've got to throw the ball over the damn plate and give the other man his chance. That's why baseball is the greatest game of them all." -Earl Weaver

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »