Home

Ranking MLB The Show

This is a discussion on Ranking MLB The Show within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-07-2023, 12:43 AM   #25
Cleveland Baseball Guru

Funkycorm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Ranking MLB The Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlames
23, 22, 21, 20. And before that 19, 18, 17. The game does get incrementally better each year. If you really look into the reason anyone in this thread hasn’t ranked them in chronological order, it’s a personal bias for or against a certain game.
It is a totally subjective question. Based on gameplay and franchise experience. My franchise experience with 20, 19, and 18 are all better than my franchise experience with 21, 22, and 23.

I will say I like the new scouting and drafting in 23 but as far as franchise experience and gameplay, my original order stands. I would even put it at 20, 19, 18, 23, 17, 22, 21 based on the ones you added.

My favorite final fantasy is 9 even though there are ones that come out after it. The newest iteration in a series does not automatically assume it is better.

It's all subjective to the individual. And of course it has some bias, it is a personal opinion. I like the Guardians better than the Braves even though I moved from Ohio to Georgia. Is that opinion wrong or biased? No it's a personal opinion...

Biased..... Lol.....

Currently Playing:

NBA 2k24 (PS5)
Farming Simulator 22 (PC)
Elden Ring (PS5)

Twitch:

Twitch

Dynasties:

None at the moment
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2023, 01:10 AM   #26
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2
Ranking MLB The Show

I would rank 22 20 23 21.

Like many, I’m a sucker for immersion. I don’t have a ps5 (waiting for it to come to PC) and really, I have a PC just for sports games cause it’s a billion times better with mods as many know.

That said, it takes me awhile to get even going with a mlb game cause I gotta set up custom sounds, etc. I don’t have as much time to gsme with two kids now so I’m noticing if I don’t see enough franchise/ gameplay adjustments and/or there is too many red flag issues like the blue circle thing, I just go back to year before.

This year, with sots taking awhile to get support and erasing with patches + blue circle issue, I haven’t even tried to be honest. The only reason I put it above 21 is cause for the only time in 15 years, didn’t buy the game day one. That’s cause i was having a blast wirh 20 and didn’t want to set everything up again and lose my franchise. I did get it on sale during off-season but said “why’d I do that” cause 20 was fantastic.

22 though was a gem for me. I figured skipping 21, this would make sense to get and glad I did. The gameplay felt right, franchise was fun, new commentary got better with time, it was solid.

I want to get into 23 but it’s too much of an investment to play the way I like and I just simply can’t get past some of the clean screen hiccups right now.

Great thread too, I love reading others’ thoughts on the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-07-2023, 08:38 AM   #27
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CgyFlames
23, 22, 21, 20. And before that 19, 18, 17. The game does get incrementally better each year. If you really look into the reason anyone in this thread hasn’t ranked them in chronological order, it’s a personal bias for or against a certain game.
On the whole, each game does show some iterative improvement, I don't necessarily disagree with that.

However, SDS has not linearly built upon every aspect of the game. Some aspects of the game have been removed (Y2Y saves, SOTS, HR/9 in-game impacts, etc.) while others are quite different (commentary team, scouting/draft system, menu screen formats, etc.). Also, each game has a different balancing (some more offense-heavy, some more pitching-heavy, etc.)

This is why every single one of us have biases towards certain titles in the series (including yourself - considering the next game in the series to be better is in of itself a bias). Nothing wrong with that either.
Old 06-07-2023, 09:08 AM   #28
Rookie

Heisman's Arena

OVR: 3

Haven’t played 23 yet and I didn’t play 21 because of the no night games glitch with certain teams.

I have no idea how people could even play 21 with that glitch. Dodgers, Giants, Red Sox don’t have night games every other year and they never fixed it.. Ridiculous and SDS should be ashamed of that effort.

I’ve always had more fun with even numbered years anyway going back to mlb 18. So I would rank them 22, 20, 18. 18 and 20 are really close, but I’m still playing 22 today. Having a blast!!
NHL - Los Angeles Kings
MLS - Los Angeles Galaxy
EPL - Newcastle United
Old 06-07-2023, 10:59 AM   #29
Rookie

hockeyyt988's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
On the whole, each game does show some iterative improvement, I don't necessarily disagree with that.

However, SDS has not linearly built upon every aspect of the game. Some aspects of the game have been removed (Y2Y saves, SOTS, HR/9 in-game impacts, etc.) while others are quite different (commentary team, scouting/draft system, menu screen formats, etc.). Also, each game has a different balancing (some more offense-heavy, some more pitching-heavy, etc.)

This is why every single one of us have biases towards certain titles in the series (including yourself - considering the next game in the series to be better is in of itself a bias). Nothing wrong with that either.

Great points. The other 100% subjective thing is fun value.

Most comments I’m noticing, the one common thread to their choice in best game was the “fun factor”.

Maybe it was a franchise they got deep into coupled with gameplay they enjoyed.

End of the day, that’s what we all want is for the game to be fun and there is no right or wrong answer with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-07-2023, 11:31 AM   #30
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkycorm
It is a totally subjective question. Based on gameplay and franchise experience. My franchise experience with 20, 19, and 18 are all better than my franchise experience with 21, 22, and 23.
Totally with you on 18-20.

Gameplay does improve with every version, props to SDS for that. This is the best sports game between the lines, its not even close.

Franchise is awful though. Lifeless. The walking dead. I usually get through the season, export players and build the following years roster. Its basically season mode for me.
Old 06-07-2023, 11:49 AM   #31
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11

I have the Baseball itch and thinking of which game to play, I already have 20, and I’ve been reading that a lot of people prefer 20 over 23. What will I be missing gameplay wise if I play 20 and not 23? What makes it more fun or realistic strictly comparing 20 vs 23?

Last edited by tcnumba10; 06-07-2023 at 11:57 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-07-2023, 12:15 PM   #32
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden08PCgmr
Totally with you on 18-20.

Gameplay does improve with every version, props to SDS for that. This is the best sports game between the lines, its not even close.

Franchise is awful though. Lifeless. The walking dead. I usually get through the season, export players and build the following years roster. Its basically season mode for me.
Its interesting how different people are. I love the shows franchise mode the way I play it. I think its great.

Sent from my thoughts

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »