Home

How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

This is a discussion on How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #73
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

Another thing I forgot to add in my original post. The create a stadium when it does appear needs to be able to create a reasonable facsimile of the old cookie cutter multi purpose stadiums, Riverfront, three rivers etc. I know everyone hated them, but I know from my own experience in making classic rosters and using others that a lot of people like the '70's and 80's baseball. And like it or not the cookie cutters are needed.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:41 PM   #74
Rookie

I think it might be interesting to bring being a club a bit more down to its roots. Start a club, and be a player. You get start up capital to buy or build a park and run it while playing as part of it. You make decisions in operating it which affect capital for the team and what you can upgrade. Playing as part of the team and contributing to its successes and failures increase and decrease fan base and growth opportunities with the goal of owning a major league park and running it while playing as part of the team. When you retire as a player, you can continue running the club or sell it off to the computer, or even another player online somehow. Perhaps a friend. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #75
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny93g
Thought I'd mention this here. Just some thoughts about what would be ideal to me atleast.

I was playing a 1988 mod for the show 13, and I was thinking.

How amazing would it be if each release of the show, they included 1 season from baseball past. Just 1. Each new version they include 1 different season. What a great incentive to purchase each year.

Imagine if the show 14 included the 1986 MLB season. Imagine if it included the amazing player models included for 2014 players. Imagine if it included era specific commentary. Imagine old ballparks, era specific overlays, uniforms, everything.

In reality, all this is possible. I've seen what the show can do with the present. It's the best looking sports game out there. It plays amazing, and the presentation is arguably as good as it gets.

The resources are there, the technology is there. I wonder if the demand would be there to make something like this financially viable, but in my world, including just 1 season from the past would make the game a every year purchase.

1 season of play. No franchise. Imagine recreating 1961. I'm sure Red Sox fans would love to replay 2004. Include 1994, and have the strike called off at the last second.

There's a little OOTP in this idea obviously, but I'm dreaming of the possibilities of what this game could do with a full season from the past.
Actually, I love it. AS long as you can do season mode, w/ trades, etc. And specific stances and windups. I love it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #76
Pro

basketballer0385's Arena

OVR: 5

The more I think about this the more excited I get I would love to play at the polo grounds with Jackie Robinson or at tiger stadium with cecil fielder Roberto clemente such possibilities

http://www.twitch.tv/baller0385
Old 04-05-2014, 12:46 PM   #77
Rookie

Jeffster's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdog5110
Another thing I forgot to add in my original post. The create a stadium when it does appear needs to be able to create a reasonable facsimile of the old cookie cutter multi purpose stadiums, Riverfront, three rivers etc. I know everyone hated them, but I know from my own experience in making classic rosters and using others that a lot of people like the '70's and 80's baseball. And like it or not the cookie cutters are needed.
I didn't hate them! I love all those stadiums, and despite the "cookie cutter" label, they all had several differences from each other that anyone who paid attention could easily tell you. Just as one example, the turf played much faster at the Vet than it did at Riverfront, so the infielders could get to balls in Cincy that would bounce past them in Philly. And there were other differences too.

Anyway, I know I'm in the minority, but I miss circle stadiums and shiny green Astroturf. It's part of my baseball childhood and I don't just conform to the popular notion that those stadiums were some sort of abomination.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:44 AM   #78
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffster
I didn't hate them! I love all those stadiums, and despite the "cookie cutter" label, they all had several differences from each other that anyone who paid attention could easily tell you. Just as one example, the turf played much faster at the Vet than it did at Riverfront, so the infielders could get to balls in Cincy that would bounce past them in Philly. And there were other differences too.

Anyway, I know I'm in the minority, but I miss circle stadiums and shiny green Astroturf. It's part of my baseball childhood and I don't just conform to the popular notion that those stadiums were some sort of abomination.
I agree, I just know that a lot of people don't consider them "classic". What I always loved was the contrast. LIke in the 75 WS, you go from old Fenway to, at the time, new, Riverfront. I loved that contrast.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »