Home

How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

This is a discussion on How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2014, 07:58 AM   #33
Pro

barsoffury's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: How The Show Can Embrace Baseball's History

Great article!

One of the unique things about baseball are it's stadiums. New and old. They aren't like other sports where all the dimensions are the same. Sure some are pretty ridiculous when you look at them and you could swear a 3 year old drew the outline of field when all you told them to do was draw a diamond shape. But that's what makes them special. Everyone is different from the next. They're pieces of art.

I hope The Show can expand on this.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:22 AM   #34
Banned

OVR: 21

I would love it if Ramone would drop in a and give us the info on why this can never happen in any game based on current licensing issues.

It is a wonderful idea and it definitely has a market...it is a feature that would sell a lot of copies. But it cannot be done unless SCEA decides to open the checkbook and spend for stadiums at a minimum, and more oldtime players for likenesses and names.

I think it is cost prohibitive for any manufacturer in this day and age. Rules were different back when Oldtime Baseball and Larussa Baseball dominated. Even different back in the 1990's.

I know I sound like a naysayer and wet blanket. Don't get me wrong...I LOVE the thought and idea. I only play with classic teams and always have in any game be it baseball or football. I've created hundreds of players and teams. I want SCEA to take this on...but I don't think they, or anyone, ever will.

It is up to us a community to do it but the manufacturers have to give us the proper tools (editor, etc) to let that happen.

C
Old 03-15-2014, 08:25 AM   #35
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Online franchise....you can set up the league the way you like....including the playoffs and how many teams make it.....and you can use a custom roster in it as well.

M.K.
Knight165
I wasn't aware of that as I never play online. I'll give it a go this year for sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #36
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
I wasn't aware of that as I never play online. I'll give it a go this year for sure.
I don't either actually....but when you start an online league(now franchise)...you can choose the # of teams....the # of leagues and divisions...and then select which teams are assigned to each slot(so you could put Milwaukee back in the A.L. for instance)
With the ability to load custom rosters....it is the best option we have for single season historical play this year.
Unfortunately....for the PS4 version....I EXTREMELY doubt the classic stadiums were able to be added at all this year.
This is something that would only be fully possible if SCEA makes a push for some sort of historical mode.
(also...right now you can't edit team name or city...so we are "stuck" with what is current.

(....something I wonder about...even if it doesn't involve new announcers...is if they could put some sort of static track or change the tone on the announcers to make it seem like an old time game)

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-15-2014, 11:12 AM   #37
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

MLB The Show definitely needs historic teams. I would even be satisfied with "All time" teams in which every team would consist of the greatest players from that team. Make sense?
Old 03-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #38
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLaFalce
MLB The Show definitely needs historic teams. I would even be satisfied with "All time" teams in which every team would consist of the greatest players from that team. Make sense?
Well....we've got plenty of those....visit the roster section.
Tons of historical team sets....All-Time teams...year specific teams....and even (my favorite) single season sets......

Give them a try....

M.K.
Knight165
Old 03-15-2014, 11:18 AM   #39
MVP

RyanLaFalce's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Well....we've got plenty of those....visit the roster section.
Tons of historical team sets....All-Time teams...year specific teams....and even (my favorite) single season sets......

Give them a try....

M.K.
Knight165
I'm thinking about it once the PS4 version drops. Maybe do a historical playoff mode or something.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #40
Rookie

VonRye's Arena

OVR: 8
If SCEA came up with classic ballparks, uniforms, etc., I don't think I could give them my money fast enough. Baseball is the only major sport with a serious case of nostalgia that makes us long to play old seasons, with old teams, in old parks. Build this and we will surprise you with the results.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »