Home

2 new modes added easily?

This is a discussion on 2 new modes added easily? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #9
Rookie

HockeyRef33's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: 2 new modes added easily?

The old school "arcade" mode reminds me of NHL 95 mode that was put into NHL 14 this year. Basically same game with no rules and everyone's speed, shot, and hitting jacked way up. The baseball equivalent would be a mode like the old MLB Slugfest.

With that being said, most people buy the show for a sim experience so I would rather see the resources required to implement this spent elsewhere.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
Banned

steveeee's Arena

OVR: 9

the long awaited hyped world series baseball game on dreamcast that sucked had one thing that was good about it and that was the cursor hitting I thought.

it would be great if the Show had an option for that or like the Ken Griffey game posted in this thread that was fun as well.

any ways.. good suggestions... especially cursor hitting. this should get added for next year for sure.

Last edited by steveeee; 04-15-2014 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:53 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

SCEA needs to partner up with OOTP. How awesome would THAT be?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Rookie

spaceg0st's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRef33
The old school "arcade" mode reminds me of NHL 95 mode that was put into NHL 14 this year. Basically same game with no rules and everyone's speed, shot, and hitting jacked way up. The baseball equivalent would be a mode like the old MLB Slugfest.

With that being said, most people buy the show for a sim experience so I would rather see the resources required to implement this spent elsewhere.
Exactly... MOST people buy for a sim experience. (though considering most people use classic pitching, maybe not) Why not expand your target audience drastically by including an arcade-like experience for all the NON-hardcore players. Why limit yourself to one demographic? The tools are already in the game, its just a matter of working them into selectable modes.

Like i said, it's clear there's a market for this stuff. They just released a complete standalone game on XBL and PSN in RBI BASEBALL REMAKE. I think it's something that would add a ton of excitement and hype for the game. And why not?
Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

The thing is though listen to what Russel says in the IGN livestream. He says he never ever wants to hear from people that the next version was just a roster update. That means they would have to add in features for both groups of people and make sure that the veterans of the series are satisfied. The things the op mentioned would be great for bringing in new non sim players, but the question is if they spend time on that will they have enough time to add to the game for the vets of the series. There's already a good amount of people who don't upgrade every year because the game is already so good that they feel like upgrading isn't worth the money. They can't risk even more people doing the same because all of a sudden they've decided to focus on beginner players. They've already done some great things at helping out new players. Could they keep going? For sure, but that sacrifices the time they spend on adding in features for the people who have been playing this game the longest. I'm sure SCEA has done research about this area and whether or not it's worth it.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea

Last edited by bwiggy33; 04-16-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
Rookie

spaceg0st's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
... I'm sure SCEA has done research about this area and whether or not it's worth it.
Definitely, but also in the live stream Russel mentioned how surprised they all were to see that Classic pitching was the most common form played. So what they thought was popular, wasn't necessarily. I think they're sitting on a lot of untapped potential.

I guess what it comes down to (as we've all sort of mentioned), is how much time and resources it would take to implement such ideas. Seeing as how the tools are IN the game (pitching cursor when guess pitch, pci, customizable cameras..etc) i wouldnt think it would take too much time and energy to explore... but i'm not a game designer so i don't know. All i know is, there is a huge market for these types of modes that isn't being utilized, and i think it would turn the game into a "complete experience for any baseball fan".

It would be really nice to hear a dev's point of view on the ideas.

Last edited by spaceg0st; 04-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3

As much as I like old school baseball video games, I think The Show has advanced the medium for the better. No need to devolve.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2014, 08:10 PM   #16

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceg0st
i sure would love if ramone or woodweaver would see this. I'd hate it to be lost in the sea of posts. Anybody with connections out there that could help? I'd sure appreciate it.
Just because they haven't posted here doesn't mean it hasn't been seen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »