Home

MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard)

This is a discussion on MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard) within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #41
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: MLB 14 The Show PS4 Hands-On Preview (SI Extra Mustard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude731
Complaints are fine I suppose, I was pointing out the overwhelming negativity. People accusing devs of lying and articles that say anything good about the game must be hype. It's just gotten weirdly negative this year and I don't remember it being this way any other year on here. That's all.
I think you are referring to my post. Fine. I was simply pointing out that over and over, the claim is being made that there are 1,000 unique fan models in the game. It has been confirmed on this board that it isn't the case for this year. Therefore, claiming otherwise is blatantly misleading. It might not be significant in the grand scheme of things, but you are missing my point entirely if that's what your focus is on. I just have an issue with saying misleading things about a product, when there is no need to.

I don't really see a gray area here. The fact was mis-stated and I take issue with it.

Last edited by Drew127; 04-14-2014 at 08:52 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #42
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
I think you are referring to my post. Fine. I was simply pointing out that over and over, the claim is being made that there are 1,000 unique fan models in the game. It has been confirmed on this board that it isn't the case for this year. Therefore, claiming otherwise is blatantly misleading. It might not be significant in the grand scheme of things, but you are missing my point entirely if that's what your focus is on. I just have an issue with saying misleading things about a product, when there is no need to.

I don't really see a gray area here. The fact was mis-stated and I take issue with it.
I've tried to remain spoiler-free within articles and interviews, so besides the very first interview (which I haven't seen in a month), I haven't picked up on the wording on how it's being advertised from SCEA or media outlets.

However, you're kind of right. If it sounds like it's being advertised that there are 1,000 character models for fans and there are only 100, then it is kind of strange that isn't better clarified. The developers here are clarifying that it's merely possible to get 1,000, correct? I mean wouldn't that kind of be like saying it's possible to have cross-platform online play between PS3 and PS4 even if it's not available this year, but then every interview reports that feature like it is in this year?

Maybe I will have to read some portions of the interviews that say what they say, including this one. It seems like a strange thing to "lie" about (I'm not saying they're lying at all, I'm just saying that of all things for there to be a strong emphasis on anyway, it's just a bizarre one in general), so even if they were caught with their pants down, there's not really going to be any backlash for fan models. Personally, I can't wait to see the day of that many... but I've seen worse misleading statements from game developers, even from this company.

And this is besides that topic, but I must ask one more time because I still am truly curious: is that Yankee Stadium shot in the OP a PS3 or PS4 shot, and how can you tell? I seriously have no idea one way or the other.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 04-14-2014, 10:43 AM   #43
Pro

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
If it sounds like it's being advertised that there are 1,000 character models for fans and there are only 100, then it is kind of strange that isn't better clarified. The developers here are clarifying that it's merely possible to get 1,000, correct? I mean wouldn't that kind of be like saying it's possible to have cross-platform online play between PS3 and PS4 even if it's not available this year, but then every interview reports that feature like it is in this year?

Maybe I will have to read some portions of the interviews that say what they say, including this one.
EXACTLY!!! This is a quote pulled straight from the article that this thread is the subject of:

Quote:
In the PS3 game, we only have 42 people in the crowd, and those people are just duplicated all over the stadium,” explains Ramone Russell, the game’s producer, as we get our hands on The Show for the first time. “You’ll see the same fans over and over again and they’re always wearing the same clothing. In the PS4 version, we have 1,000 people, so there is just so much more variation, including kids in the stands for the first time. It’s crazy, our fans in the PS4 game are made of about the same amount of polygons as the players in the PS3 version.
It's very misleading, since that certainly isn't the case this year. It will be in the future, perhaps, since the capability is there. But it isn't there now, so it's wrong to word things in a way that will make readers think it IS there now. And it has been stated like this in every media outlet that I've seen so far. Ramone did clarify it on the board here, but it's misleading to the masses who don't come here.

It might seem like I'm harping on a small detail, but keep in mind that media outlets find this detail worth highlighting as a selling point of the PS4 version of the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't mention it.

I'm still buying the game, and in no way am I claiming that someone should change their mind just based on this fact alone. I just think it's slightly frustrating that it isn't being clarified.

Last edited by Drew127; 04-14-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
Pro

ryanmc564's Arena

OVR: 0

Obviously, I can't speak for everyone else but I don't ever recall SCEA (Ramone) saying they will have 1000 different crowd models. I always heard him say that with the power of the ps4 they can have UP to 1000 different crowd models
Old 04-14-2014, 11:02 AM   #45
Developer

Woodweaver's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew127
EXACTLY!!! This is a quote pulled straight from the article that this thread is the subject of:

It's very misleading, since that certainly isn't the case this year. It will be in the future, perhaps, since the capability is there. But it isn't there now, so it's wrong to word things in a way that will make readers think it IS there now. And it has been stated like this in every media outlet that I've seen so far. Ramone did clarify it on the board here, but it's misleading to the masses who don't come here.

It might seem like I'm harping on a small detail, but keep in mind that media outlets find this detail worth highlighting as a selling point of the PS4 version of the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't mention it.

Do a search on posts by Ramone and myself regarding this matter. There is a very clear explanation of what went on with the crowd models. There was no intentional misleading. Luckily, if this is a large issue for you, you know far enough in advance that you can simply skip this years iteration. But I think most of the media speaks for itself...even though we did not max out on the crowd this year, we certainly have many more than 100 models, and I think you will really enjoy the results.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

You know someone is going to load up the game and count the exact number of crowd models. Try to establish a pattern, and start a thread about it. OS has the largest collection of OCPD'ers around, lol.

Spoiler

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro

YouTube

Old 04-14-2014, 12:38 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
You know someone is going to load up the game and count the exact number of crowd models. Try to establish a pattern, and start a thread about it. OS has the largest collection of OCPD'ers around, lol.

Spoiler

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro
OCPD'ers? what's the P in that?
Old 04-14-2014, 02:01 PM   #48
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
Do a search on posts by Ramone and myself regarding this matter. There is a very clear explanation of what went on with the crowd models. There was no intentional misleading. Luckily, if this is a large issue for you, you know far enough in advance that you can simply skip this years iteration. But I think most of the media speaks for itself...even though we did not max out on the crowd this year, we certainly have many more than 100 models, and I think you will really enjoy the results.

Yes, on these boards and in the dev blogs you've been clear that there are not 1,000 crowd models. But in other sources, it has been misleading. Case in point, the quote that Drew127 just posted a few posts above where it says explicitly "In the PS4 version we have 1,000 people, so there is just so much variation."

It sounds like Drew is just expressing frustration with the misleading, inconsistent advertising about crowd models, not with the fact that there are not 1,000 crowd models itself.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »