Home

Fake Stadium Ads

This is a discussion on Fake Stadium Ads within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #9

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Fake Stadium Ads

I'm actually surprised more companies don't actually advertise within video games. I'd consider advertising in video games to be almost as effective as advertising during the actual games. Especially since people play the video games so much, compared to just 1 game a day watched at most.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:13 PM   #10
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
Russell says that will never change. It's all about branding. Kinda like ESPN plastered all over stadium during its broadcasts.

ESPN doesn't superimpose its logo on the Green Monster during broadcasts lol. I don't see why they couldn't put it in each stadium in 1 or 2 spots instead of a million. It's already the name of the broadcast, which also kills immersion but I know it's something they can't change because they're never going to shell out the money to use a broadcast license from a real network. But hearing the broadcast team say "MLB The Show" over and over, plus the walls plastered with it everywhere, it's just overkill.

I'm bout to start a petition to see Lobster Cola introduced as a sponsor of MLB 15 The Show lol
Old 04-12-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I've never really understood this from a legal standpoint. It seems like a win-win for both SCEA and the companies who advertise in the real ballparks. For example if Hardees has an add in a stadium it would seem like a) they would want it to be included in the video game for maximum exposure, and b) SCEA would want it because of realism. No one really needs to be "paid" here. It just makes sense but I'm sure there's some reason.
It all has to do with money. SCEA wants to be paid for putting company adverts in games just as much as the companies wanting to be paid for their likeness. It seems to me to be a catch-22.

One thing about having "MLB the Show XX" all over the ballpark could be to advertise for the game in screenshots. We're starting to see more images of the game, and when people who may be on the fence or may not even know about the game look it it, it shows what game it is in the background. It's an advertisement tool for the game itself more than anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnon39
I would assume that having Budweiser or other beer ads might cause the game to get a T rating but then again, who knows.
Actually, it would cause the game to get a mature rating because Budweiser or other alcohol-related industries can't advertise to minors. That's why Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s car had "Dale" on his hood instead of "Bud" in NASCAR games.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #12
[Player 1]

thaSLAB's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I understand about SCEA needing to use real ads in all the ballparks, but it also uses fake ads. The only problem I have with fake ads is the same fake ads are in every ballpark. I hope they can change this so you have a variety of fake ads in different ballparks. Same for the jumbotron..same animations for every team.
I've already brought this up at community day (user ad/billboard vault), and I think anything is a possibility still. Of course, moderation would have to be in place. If you remember, there were some real ads in MLB 09 (Subway, Ax Men). It would be cool to have those type of ads back too. EA still does that with the Burnout games.

The catch-22 involved in copyright agreements is really hard to grasp, but that's the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabarnes19
I would love user created ads. Have a vault. I would download all of Slabs stuff... that man is talented.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
You're far too kind, sir. I do have a folder full of ideas though. I'll have drop a bug in Kyle's ear. :-D

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro

YouTube

Old 04-12-2014, 04:38 PM   #13
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaSLAB
I've already brought this up at community day (user ad/billboard vault), and I think anything is a possibility still. Of course, moderation would have to be in place. If you remember, there were some real ads in MLB 09 (Subway, Ax Men). It would be cool to have those type of ads back too. EA still does that with the Burnout games.

The catch-22 involved in copyright agreements is really hard to grasp, but that's the way it is.

You're far too kind, sir. I do have a folder full of ideas though. I'll have drop a bug in Kyle's ear. :-D

htcONE [M8] | Tapatalk Pro

As much as I would love the possibility for the gamers to create ads I think it will never happen.

If someone creates something offensive as an ad and streams the game, post a video on youtube or post a screen The Show brand would suffer. Especially because there will always be a Show logo somewhere on screen.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #14
Rookie

Hayman19's Arena

OVR: 1

The NHL series has dynamic board ads that change every so often. Sometimes you will have Subway ads, a few weeks later something else. Its adds a bit of realism rather than seeing the same board ads all over the place.

Im sure there is a good reason, but what about having brands that already have products in the game like Majestic, Nike, New Era ads placed around? Also the MLB has various ads you could have such as MLB.tv, MLB Fan Cave and things like that they could put around. I wouldn't mind that. Anything to change it up a bit.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:48 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 6

I don't mind them using real ads even in every stadium. I'm just asking where they are using fake ads to have some variety. Every stadium shouldn't have the same fake ads. I don't see a copyright issue there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #16
*ll St*r

Knight165's Arena

OVR: 56

Yeah...I agree.

More variety in the fake ads....
But to me...the more important thing would be if they reintroduce the "team owner/GM" portions....especially the ads sections...that when you sign a sponser/company to a deal....those specific ads show up in your stadium.

I also really hope they bring back the player section where you featured a certain player in ads/promotions.....
But there really should be some sort of "star quality" for players that
1-brings fannies in the seats a bit(at least at the start of his signing)
2-attracts advertisers

But alas...the real problem with this was what the money was available for and how important it really was.
It was worthless in the old system as you could amass untold wealth!

M.K.
Knight165

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »