Home

Changing ratings from SP to RP

This is a discussion on Changing ratings from SP to RP within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2014, 11:37 AM   #1
Rookie

Eddie2288's Arena

OVR: 0
Changing ratings from SP to RP

I am about 4 years into my franchise and I have an abundance of borderline SP and I would like to switch a few to a RP. The problem is that their ratings drop and I was wondering what everyone else did to fix this.

Maybe this could be a small feature in future games where the game automatically changes ratings to accomodate a SP who will be moving to the bullpen?

Thanks for any feedback!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #2
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Re: Changing ratings from SP to RP

You mean their Overall Rating drops? If so I wouldn't worry about that.
The Overall doesn't really mean much. The only thing I would change is their Stamina.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Rookie

Eddie2288's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
The Overall doesn't really mean much. The only thing I would change is their Stamina.
Yeah I meant their OVR rating. More or less I was curious if anybody changed any other ratings than just stamina
Old 12-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
You need to change their /9's also. I have a reliever Nick Vincent who has 90+ for all 3. It's not fair to change him to a SP and give him 60 stamina. Vice Versa, it's not fair to take Cashner who is a solid RP when needed and have him become a actual RP only to get rocked due to low /9's.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Trade 'em for quality bullpen guys?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2014, 05:45 PM   #6
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andonly
You need to change their /9's also. I have a reliever Nick Vincent who has 90+ for all 3. It's not fair to change him to a SP and give him 60 stamina. Vice Versa, it's not fair to take Cashner who is a solid RP when needed and have him become a actual RP only to get rocked due to low /9's.
I should have clarified:
I would only change a RP to a starter that would be realistic.
IMO it wouldn't be realistic to use Vincent as a Starter, that would be kind of cheesing.
As for Cashner, if he doesn't have good enough /9's to be a RP, I wouldn't use him in that role no more than I'd have him pinch hit for Cam Maybin.

If I had a lot of catchers & needed a shortstop, I wouldn't convert one of them to shortstop, I'd draft & develop or trade for a shortstop. Converting a catcher to position he wouldn;t realistically play would be tantamount to cheating.
Same rule applies to pitchers. For instance, if I had a Padres franchise & still had Burch Smith, he'd be an excellent candidate to convert from reliever to starter. Tim Stauffer would be another fine candidate, either certainly better than Nick Vincent.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
I should have clarified:
I would only change a RP to a starter that would be realistic.
IMO it wouldn't be realistic to use Vincent as a Starter, that would be kind of cheesing.
As for Cashner, if he doesn't have good enough /9's to be a RP, I wouldn't use him in that role no more than I'd have him pinch hit for Cam Maybin.

If I had a lot of catchers & needed a shortstop, I wouldn't convert one of them to shortstop, I'd draft & develop or trade for a shortstop. Converting a catcher to position he wouldn;t realistically play would be tantamount to cheating.
Same rule applies to pitchers. For instance, if I had a Padres franchise & still had Burch Smith, he'd be an excellent candidate to convert from reliever to starter. Tim Stauffer would be another fine candidate, either certainly better than Nick Vincent.
So I have the roster where all players were re-rated (forgot which one that was, v3 something). These are rated on players H/9, BB/9 in real life, which is great.

The only problem is that RP's usually (not always) will have much higher stats in those areas. When a RP comes in the batter has usually seen him very few times, and he is at full strength. Unlike the SP who has gone around the lineup a few times and the batters have had multiple looks at him and is worn down from pitches.

A SP is not able to throw 100 mph all game like a reliever is able to for a single inning. An example of this is Cashner. In 2014 he was clocked at 102 mph, and he has been clocked over 100 mph throughout his career. Now if I move him to RP do I keep his fastball velocity at 96 mph? I do not think that is fair since he can clearly throw harder. Since a RP is able to do that because it is such a short time he will be pitching, he will tend to allow less runners on in that time than a SP who has thrown a good amount of pitches. Not to mention some relievers are thrown into the game based on match ups; that is something a SP is not able to do.

SPs must pace themselves and in doing so, they give up more hits than RP will.

Out of the top 15 rated H/9 pitchers (both SP and RP) in the game, 13 are RPs. Now is it that Jonathan Broxton is much better at preventing hits than Kershaw? Or is it that the opportunities he has, are of a major advantage to him?

If Strasburg and Broxton are both on 5 days rest and it is the bottom of the 9th and the game is on the line who do you want to come in? Assume there are no limits on Strasburg as there aren't with Broxton.

My point is that moving a RP to an SP or vice versa, their /9s and possibly velocity (dependent on the player) should be raised or lowered.

Last edited by 1andonly; 01-02-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 07:45 PM   #8
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

I do this during the offseason throughout the league. For converting a SP to a RP, I typically bump up their velocities 2-3 mph and raise their /9 attributes by 10 points, while lowering their stamina into the low 40s.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »