Home

Stadium Lighting

This is a discussion on Stadium Lighting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 PM   #33
Pro

Herschie's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Stadium Lighting

The daygame lighting is still off. First of all, the game appears to be later on in the day than it actually is. Take Wrigley Field for example; for a 1:20 game, the stadium shadow begins to approach home plate around the 8th inning or so. It shouldn't be way out past the pitchers mound like it is in this game. Plus if the shadow juts that far out, typically they'd have the lights on, which they never do in this game. The game usually ends a little after 4, but it looks more like 5:30 the way the shadows are.

And for a 3:05 game, I don't know if any of you noticed this, but the lighting stops progressing after awhile. Plus they don't have the lights on, which they would for a game that's slated to end around 6 or so.

I point this out because 1) 2K had this correct. 2) I've seen so many exciting late-afternoon games, many in the playoffs. And 3) This isn't 2005, this is 2014, on the PS4 no less. This is the way it is in real life, and so it should be the way it is in the game.
Old 05-09-2014, 10:00 PM   #34
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chikiboy
Also, out of curiosity, I played a game in Target Field and never saw the St.Paul and Minneapolis twins shake hands (the animation shown in the Stadium video) nor did I see the animation where the 'T' and 'S' in Twins blackout so the word "WIN" is lit up.

Figured this would have happened when I won the game with the Twins, but it never occurred.
It definitely happens. The hand-shake is a homerun event, just like real life, and Twins Win shows occasionally after home wins (or maybe before the game? It's rarer, but I've noticed it.)
Old 05-10-2014, 12:57 AM   #35
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

After reading this thread, I started looking into some of the claims that have been made.

First, I'll say that PNC Park and Busch Stadium need help ASAP. As someone mentioned earlier, it might of been in another thread, it looks like the Pittsburgh skyline is in a blackout, like "someone forgot to pay the electric bill."

St. Louis isn't fairing much better. There's some obvious problems with the lighting in the outfield stands and concourses. Some things are lit very well, like a couple of brick columns, where as other things are completely dark.

I took a look at Minute Maid Park to see if it was noticeable there. It's noticeable, but not nearly as big of a problem as in the other two stadiums mentioned.

Here are some screenshots that illustrate the problems.

You can see there's one tiny spot under the small scoreboard that is lit. When in actuality the lower portion of the the third deck should be almost all illuminated.

You can see how it's actually lit in the photo above. Also note the restaurant in deep right center field. In real life, it is illuminated more than it is in the game.

I think the most glaring lighting issue is the skyline, just like in Pittsburgh. For whatever reason, none of the buildings have any lights on. I'm not sure if that just wasn't coded it or what, but it's pretty noticeable.

Here's a good image from when they're doing fireworks after a Friday night game. It really stands out because they turned the lights off in the stadium, but I promise you all of the lights in office buildings are not turned off. You can see the lights on during the night games in real life, just not in The Show.

I used the Astros stadium to illustrate some of the lighting issues, but by no means is it the worst. In actuality, I'd be okay if they turned their attention to PNC Park and Busch Stadium and some of the other more problematic stadiums rather than spend time on Minute Maid Park. But at least this illustrates similar issues other stadiums are experiencing.

For the most part, the game looks fantastic. Not trying to knock the developers. Hopefully some of this is just a bug and can be easily patched. If not, perhaps extra attention could be paid attention to this for The Show '15.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #36
Rookie

AckAttack's Arena

I was just playing a game at Safeco Field, and the sign banner right on top of the pitchers head is very annoying. If there is a pitch high in the zone, the ball blends in with the sign.
Old 05-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAttack
I was just playing a game at Safeco Field, and the sign banner right on top of the pitchers head is very annoying. If there is a pitch high in the zone, the ball blends in with the sign.
They could help this by, when the game detects the ball being at roughly the same brightness as its surroundings, creating a very subtle edge shadow, sort of like ambient occlusion. It wouldn't completely fix it, but for the atmosphere it would heal instead of destroy.
Old 05-11-2014, 12:36 AM   #38
Sic 'em Bears!

BaylorBearBryant's Arena

OVR: 10

Just played at Safeco Field for the first time. Man... that scoreboard.

Baylor Bears - Texans - Astros - Rockets - Avalanche

Follow me on Twitch: twitch.tv/osovideo
Old 05-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #39
Rookie

Resile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorBearBryant
Just played at Safeco Field for the first time. Man... that scoreboard.
How is the outfield?

After playing in many parks finally in RTTS, I think the lighting in most is a design choice. Citi Field and AT&T Park are two good examples of what all of the stadiums SHOULD have been.

Right now, I cannot live with PNC, Petco, and Busch in their current states. Hopefully Russell responds soon, as those stadiums need some serious help with their night lighting in certain sections.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #40
Rookie

Lights should be on for daytime overcast and daytime rain games. All stadiums seem to have this issue

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »