Home

Quick count pitching is easier - I threw a perfect game

This is a discussion on Quick count pitching is easier - I threw a perfect game within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:05 PM   #9
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Quick count pitching is easier - I threw a perfect game

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Congrats.

I think QC is not very good because how it effects strategy.
For example I was playing as the Braves and came up with Teheran with a runner on 1st, no outs, in a 0-0 game.

I was planning on bunting but I started the AB with 1-2 count! Now granted he could have bunted foul twice, but it took it out of my hands....at that point I was done with it.
I've been saying this all along that I think it adds to the strategy. That happened to me and I rolled the dice, getting down the bunt successfully. Bunting is extremely easy in video games, but not so in real life. It varies, but roughly 3-3.5 out of 5 sac bunts are successful in the MLB. I'd guess in video games, 99 out of 100 are executed successfully.

While it's frustrating, I love that it puts you into spots you wouldn't otherwise experience. I paid close attention to sac bunts watching the Braves 1st games of the season (they are my fav team, just so happens they are the team you used too). They were unsuccessful on their first 4, all 4 strike outs from attempting to bunt with 2 strikes to boot! Quick counts puts it closer to MLB statistics and isn't that the goal of a sim?
Old 05-09-2014, 02:16 AM   #10
Rookie

Legionnaire's Arena

OVR: 5

I could see the "quick count" feature allowing me to throw a no-hitter more easily, perhaps...

But I think it has moved a perfect game farther out of reach, because now there's no way I'll make it through 9 innings without issuing at least one walk. I typically walk 2 or 3 guys just because I made a bad pitch after the quick count feature spotted the batter a handful of balls. And I also typically walk 1 or 2 guys per game just because I have a brain-fart and begin pitching to a guy (often nibbling around the edges) without remembering to check what the generated count was.

Even once I finally condition myself to always remember to check the generated count, I imagine I'll still walk a 2 or 3 guys each game because of how many deep counts I'm seeing with this quick count feature.

I love the feature, by the way.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:49 AM   #11
Rookie

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have had a couple of good performances with quick counts as well. But it has been extremely realistic. I like most "hardcore" guys assumed I would NEVER touch this feature. To be honest, I'm already at the point that if it was removed I would probably never play a full game again and just stick to RTTS.

It's nice to be able to put your number 5 guy out there and not get destroyed every single time. We know this game is always a balance between statistical input and user input. Quick counts helps to bridge that gap and find more balance. Pulse Pitching on All-Star is whats working for me right now. I would imagine as my timing on the pulse improves I will need to tweak control a tiny a bit, but outside of that it should be good to go almost right out of the box.
Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM   #13
No Official License

Inhocmark's Arena

OVR: 4

Quick count like anything in Sports Video games that attempts to keep games down to a manageable timeframe is a fudge. Most of the achievements indicate that Quick Count can't be used so the developers recognize it.

Personally I like it a lot. Beyond improving the speed of the game (which is key when you work full time and have little ones running around that limit your gaming time) it has also allowed me to improve my hitting funny enough. I've traditionally had a hard time picking up the baseball out of the pitchers hands and reading the pitch. Add that to being far sighted and having the reflexes of a man closing in on 40, it was not unusual for pitchers to go deep against me with low pitch counts. The Quick Count, combined with a basic understanding of situational pitching has allowed me to make up for my difficulties by anticipating better. It makes for a more realistic game for me AND as a knock on effect has made me slightly better at hitting in RTTS where you get full at bats.

Its not for everybody, the no hitter deserves that big fat asterisk, but for me, its quite welcome.
Old 05-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
MVP

El_MaYiMbE's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVCbearcat10
I've been saying this all along that I think it adds to the strategy. That happened to me and I rolled the dice, getting down the bunt successfully. Bunting is extremely easy in video games, but not so in real life. It varies, but roughly 3-3.5 out of 5 sac bunts are successful in the MLB. I'd guess in video games, 99 out of 100 are executed successfully.

While it's frustrating, I love that it puts you into spots you wouldn't otherwise experience. I paid close attention to sac bunts watching the Braves 1st games of the season (they are my fav team, just so happens they are the team you used too). They were unsuccessful on their first 4, all 4 strike outs from attempting to bunt with 2 strikes to boot! Quick counts puts it closer to MLB statistics and isn't that the goal of a sim?
But you will NEVER get an 0-0 count, and pitchers can sometimes get it down on first attempt. While is nice to roll the dice every now and then, life and baseball does not always come down to rolling the dice, there are times where the players on the field are in complete control of what the outcome is and QC robs you of that. Not all the time, but enough for it to be frustrating.

There will also never be first pitch outs, or first pitch HRs, or first pitch hits. The count seems to always start on something other than 0-0.

And as far as sim experience....I consider time part of that experience. So skipping half of an at-bat, and removing some of the tinkering and strategy that comes with playing a game of baseball, robs me of that experience.

Again, this is my preference but just voicing why I feel the quality of a game may suffer from QC for me as opposed to enhance it like it seems to for others.

Last edited by El_MaYiMbE; 05-09-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #15
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_MaYiMbE
Congrats.

For example I was playing as the Braves and came up with Teheran with a runner on 1st, no outs, in a 0-0 game.

I was planning on bunting but I started the AB with 1-2 count! Now granted he could have bunted foul twice, but it took it out of my hands....at that point I was done with it.
Just wondering, but how could you have bunted foul twice with a 1-2 count? Any foul bunt with 2 strikes is an automatic out.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Rookie

SVCbearcat10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
Just wondering, but how could you have bunted foul twice with a 1-2 count? Any foul bunt with 2 strikes is an automatic out.
He assumed the 2 strikes of the generated count equated to 2 bunt attempts going foul.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »