Home

Why Is There No Slow Play Mode?

This is a discussion on Why Is There No Slow Play Mode? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-17-2014, 10:04 PM   #33
MVP

cardinalbird5's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: Why Is There No Slow Play Mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
Record has not anything to do with my concern, Enjoyment is what is the issue for me. I can't play and enjoy my game of baseball when I am pressured into quick ABs while Im offense. Assume that Madden, said hey you don't need the 40 second play clock in your "video game", you can run the play fast enough in eh, 20 seconds. While, that is true and that doesn't mean you won't hate football and Madden just because of That, it is a very legitimate concern.

I'll let you all decide, but I hope you at least understand what I mean. I honestly thought this idea, of pace of gameplay missing from this baseball game would be understood readily by everyone. And we could all have a conversation on what should be done about it.
Ok I can understand that. I misinterpret your previous posts and thought you meant it was affecting your performance.

Personally, it is not an issue to me, but my guess is that they didn't have time to implement the cut scenes fully. I still think the presentation is great thus far.

Unfortunately, when decisions have to be made the casual gamers will always be priority. That is why they introduced many elements to speed the game up, but they also did it in a sim manner IMO.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #34
MVP

Heroesandvillains's Arena

OVR: 27

We're on the same page man. But we have to stop calling it "slow play."

What's really happening is that a lot of cutscenes are cutting abruptly....

Or if you inverse that...

When cutscenes are cutting, the player animations are not transitioning properly back into gameplay.

Let's say there's a cutscene after a foul ball hits a batters foot (purely a made up example). A cutscene triggers showing the player hobbling around in agony. Suddenly, the cutscene will end and the batter will be abruptly in the batter's box awaiting the next pitch.

Last year, these were smooth. In my made up example, the player would have started an in-game ready practice swing during the cutscene. Once the gameplay scene started, the player would have been doing exactly what he was doing during the cut.

This year, the transitions are not smooth and I have to wonder if they were all re-written. If so, it's possible they didn't have time to animate them all to the length necessary to accomplish this.

Or maybe they were purposly removed.

Or maybe it's a bug.

I don't know but almost every cutscene this year is like that. Whereas last year, almost all of them were seamless. And that was by design.
Old 05-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #35
Pro

@legendm0de's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Balm
While I'm all for options... You make it sound like they're looking in the wrong place and tons of people use the feature. They're not going to get their data from watching YouTube and Twitch videos, they're going to use their own built-in analytics for the game. When they say it really wasn't used, I believe them.
Well yea, The Balm that was my emotions speaking there mostly. But there has to be a decision made more carefully than based on reading that sort of data. If elements of games were getting cut because no one used them, then that just surmises to me that you think only the same type of people play your video game. You cannot take away a feature such as this, so lightly. Imagine if quick counts were taken out of 15' The Show because not enough people used them as expected. That would be quite offensive right? Thats why I got a bit into my emotion in that part of my post. I'm sure their data is legit, but decisions should not be made in such ways if that was the only concern that it took to move the whole style of play out of the game.

Anyhow, that is why I edited that particular spoiler minutes later so that I could complete what I was meaning to say a little bit.

Last edited by @legendm0de; 05-17-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2014, 12:03 AM   #36
Pro

dazzelle's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpidbeaver
they said they pulled the "Pitch Delay" option because no one used it.
That's what they say as a reason for not updating or improving Franchise mode,there data shows no one playing it. I would have played around a 150 franchise games in 13 and on ps3 i very rarely signed into PSN when playing single player games, so maybe my data wasn't getting sent.

I guess they are right i only used pitch delay option once, put it to slow and left it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »