Home

Not Supposed to Guess Every Pitch?

This is a discussion on Not Supposed to Guess Every Pitch? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Not Supposed to Guess Every Pitch?

I only use it ahead in the count...2-1 or 3-1(I use quick counts), feels like too much a penalty if guessed wrong to me.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:08 PM   #10
Rookie

dvazquez190's Arena

OVR: 2

Guess pitch is a crutch. Especially the classic guess pitch. I stopped using guess pitch in 2011 I believe so I don't know how far it's come. I found I became a better pure hitter when I started playing on HOF with no guess pitch. Reaction time became much better.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:48 PM   #11
MVP

Madden's Jowels's Arena

1. There is a penalty when you guess wrong, your plate coverage gets smaller and your contact rating takes a hit I believe. If you have PCI turned off, try turning it on and then using guess pitch and see how much smaller your PCI gets.

2. Furthermore, this is the big one for me... using guess pitch, you will never get better at seeing pitches. The computer does most of the work for you. Without guess pitch you are forced to improve your plate vision. Not the in-game 'Plate Vision' rating, but YOUR plate vision.

I haven't used Guess Pitch at all this year, but last year I would use it occasionally. It was sort of a crutch for me against lefties. My RTTS guy is always a lefty because I'm lefthanded in real life. So when I face lefties, I always would struggle with them throwing me sliders outside. I would start to guess outside when there was 2 strikes so I would know to lay off. For a little while I also did this with guessing low on 2 strikes because I would always have a hell of a time recognizing low pitches. Eventually I weened myself off it though, and I became a better hitter.

So far this year, I think I have retained at least some of the progress I made last year in those areas, so I'm not using it. If I need to strike out a few dozen times on bad pitches out of the zone, so be it.

Last edited by Madden's Jowels; 05-12-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 05:52 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden's Jowels
1. There is a penalty when you guess wrong, your plate coverage gets smaller and your contact rating takes a hit I believe. If you have PCI turned off, try turning it on and then using guess pitch and see how much smaller your PCI gets.

2. Furthermore, this is the big one for me... using guess pitch, you will never get better at seeing pitches. The computer does most of the work for you. Without guess pitch you are forced to improve your plate vision. Not the in-game 'Plate Vision' rating, but YOUR plate vision.

I haven't used Guess Pitch at all this year, but last year I would use it occasionally. It was sort of a crutch for me against lefties. My RTTS guy is always a lefty because I'm lefthanded in real life. So when I face lefties, I always would struggle with them throwing me sliders outside. I would start to guess outside when there was 2 strikes so I would know to lay off. For a little while I also did this with guessing low on 2 strikes because I would always have a hell of a time recognizing low pitches. Eventually I weened myself off it though, and I became a better hitter.

So far this year, I think I have retained at least some of the progress I made last year in those areas, so I'm not using it. If I need to strike out a few dozen times on bad pitches out of the zone, so be it.
I stopped using guess pitch years ago. I still struggle, however, to find my "plate vision." I know what I am supposed to do...be patient, work the count, get ahead, etc. The struggle is that I tend to swing at CRAP and layoff meatballs down the middle. My brain knows what it should do but my hands don't always obey.

So frustrating
Old 05-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #13
Banned

For those who don't use GP, what is your batting configuration?

I use zone+timing, with the PCI indicator. How do you move the PCI around in the zone so well? It seems like if I see a pitch low in the dirt, I move the stick down, but the PCI will then go all the way to the bottom of the zone, even out of the zone.

It seems impossible to me that someone could only minutely move the stick fractions and not push the stick all the way down.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:04 PM   #14
MVP

NYJin2011tm's Arena

I also only use the no feedback guess pitch so that the game doesn't really help me see the pitch, I have to recognize the pitch myself.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:36 PM   #15
Rookie

I disagree with those saying that GP is a crutch. I use it the way hitters do in real life. If I worked the count in my favor why would I not sit on a certain pitch in a certain location? If it's not there, then take it. If it is, swing for the fences. Also, if a pitcher is pounding a certain part of the strike zone repeatedly, lock in on that spot like a hitter would. You could always turn off visual cues but GP is definitely not a crutch if used right. If used incorrectly, it's more debilitating than anything.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2014, 06:48 PM   #16
E=MC(2)

Mitchrapp's Arena

As long as I'm hitting better and getting more walks with it on than off I'll continue to use it..bottom line is results and I'm getting results. Do I swing at every pitch I guess wrong of course not but it sure does help..

Bottom line, I'm having fun and that's what's important.

Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Tigers
Michigan Football

I didn't mean to hit the umpire with the dirt, but I did mean to hit that bastard in the stands. -- Babe Ruth

Trying to sneak a pitch past Hank Aaron is like trying to sneak the sunrise past a rooster. -- Joe Adcock

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »