Home

Who is your first pick in a fantasy draft?

This is a discussion on Who is your first pick in a fantasy draft? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Who is your first pick in a fantasy draft?

If you were the GM and had the number 1 pick in a fantasy draft, what player would you make number 1? Would it be the best position player? An ace starter? How about a stud closer? How would you attack the drafting of your team? Would pitching be your priority? Would you bounce around round by round trying to pick the best available player, or would you have a drawn up plan and stay the course?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: WHO IS YOUR FIRST PICK IN A FANTASY DRAFT.

That is a good question. I am thinking about starting a Franchise with an initial draft and really am not sure about drafting strategies.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

I was just going to make a thread discussing this.

If I were to base it on the best available player that could provide the most benefit to me, it would be Mike Trout. Sure I could probably take Kershaw as my pitcher but he would only be helping me 1 game out of 5 when Trout would help me every game.

Not sure if this logic makes sense or is "correct" as I myself am trying to figure out a good fantasy draft strategy.

Like what do I do if I have a "middle of the road" first pick...say between the 10-15th pick range. Take McCutchen? Goldschmidt? Someone else?

I also am curious what people use themselves for a fantasy drafting strategy. Take a speed guy for stealing bases? a few good contact hitters? one or two power hitting guys?

Last edited by extremeskins04; 05-13-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

I like to have the last pick in the draft. I take 2 good hitters in the first two rounds. Normaly its Puig and then whoever. Then in rounds 3 and 4 you can get Garrett Cole and Sonny Gray to pitch at the top of your rotation. If im lucky sometimes Manny Machado will fall to me in the 5 round and then get Selvador Perez in the 6th. I just fill in the rest of my lineup then based on who ever i see left that i like.

Im useing th OSFM rosters to as well as that might make a difference on when players get drafted.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Rookie

I think I would draft a starter first, followed by a catcher, and a closer. Then alternate between a starter and a position player on my next picks. I look at it this way, a front line starter will influence almost 34% of your games, based on a 5 man rotation. Now a high impact player like say, Trout. How many games does he actually directly impact? Is it more than 34%, I mean he doesn't get in on every play.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #6
MVP

dpower15's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by reduced price
I think I would draft a starter first, followed by a catcher, and a closer. Then alternate between a starter and a position player on my next picks. I look at it this way, a front line starter will influence almost 34% of your games, based on a 5 man rotation. Now a high impact player like say, Trout. How many games does he actually directly impact? Is it more than 34%, I mean he doesn't get in on every play.

How does one starter on a 5 man rotation influence 34% of your games? I could be wrong but I believe it would be 20%.

33-34% in the postseason since teams usually cut to a 3 man rotation, but not that high in regular season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-13-2014, 11:25 AM   #7
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reduced price
But if you do draft an amazing starter, he's only playing 1 out of every 5 games while if you had Trout, he'd be playing every single game and get roughly 3-5 bats per game.

I would think that would give you more value, no? This is of course if you had the 1st pick or even the top 3 pick.
Old 05-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #8
Pro

asu666's Arena

OVR: 34

Mike Trout because Trout is basically Micky Mantle. He plays a premium defensive position and can hit in any number of spots in the order. Plus, Trout is only around 21 years old and I believe Trout holds up well over the long hall with few major injuries or a large drop off in performance.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »