Home

Lack of walks still an issue

This is a discussion on Lack of walks still an issue within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2014, 07:54 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Lack of walks still an issue

I was really hoping this would be solved this year, but unfortunately it seems worse. Playing 3 different times against McGowen pitching (walks are about 35 rating for him), he threw 77% stirkes, 78% strikes, 73% strikes. Needless to say, I didn't walk a single time. I am extremely patient and actually try to get walks, but it is so difficult. In about 15 games, I'm averaging around 1.5 a game. It seems as though everytime the CPU is down 2-0 or 3-0, they start throwing meatballs right down the middle. Very dissapointing. On the otherside, I rarely walk anyone either, as locating pitches is so simple. ANyone have any advice, or are we stuck with another year of lack of walks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: Lack of walks still an issue

Using quick counts, I've walked about 3-4 times a game
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmorrison1
ANyone have any advice, or are we stuck with another year of lack of walks.
Turn down CPU pitch consistency, control and strike frequency sliders until you get a nice mix of missing a little and missing a lot. Obviously, you have to account for your hitting ability, as well. I like to turn human solid hits, stride and timing down a bit to compensate for the extra balls left over the plate.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
MVP

OVR: 3

Difficulty may make a difference. I know in the past anything below All Star and you'd see a lot of strikes.

This year I'm currently on All Star, and still trying to find a balance with sliders, but walks are not an issue. I have all 3 CPU pitching sliders at zero (control, consistency, early strike) and it not only keeps the CPU out of and away from the edge of the zone, there also isn't too much wildness in the form of wild pitches, etc.

Keep tinkering with sliders and settings, and do so drastically with the sliders.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by loganmorrison1
I was really hoping this would be solved this year, but unfortunately it seems worse. Playing 3 different times against McGowen pitching (walks are about 35 rating for him), he threw 77% stirkes, 78% strikes, 73% strikes. Needless to say, I didn't walk a single time. I am extremely patient and actually try to get walks, but it is so difficult. In about 15 games, I'm averaging around 1.5 a game. It seems as though everytime the CPU is down 2-0 or 3-0, they start throwing meatballs right down the middle. Very dissapointing. On the otherside, I rarely walk anyone either, as locating pitches is so simple. ANyone have any advice, or are we stuck with another year of lack of walks.

I walk a lot, so I don;t think the issue is the game but some people in how they approach the plate, just sitting there taking pitches wont work as they will throw it over knowing you are taking. You have to work counts, be selective.

I walk as much in the show as in real baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #6
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

It seem like every time I get a 3-0 count, the pitcher always throws two straight strikes. I've yet to see a four pitch walk this year.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I'm only three games into my franchise, but I've walked at least twice per game so far, including four my last game (would have been five but I stupidly swung at a pitch well out of the strike zone on a 3-2 count).

So far, I think walks are better this year.
Old 05-14-2014, 10:17 AM   #8
Game Designer

tabarnes19_SDS's Arena

OVR: 30

I average about 3 walks a game. I walked 6 times yesterday.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »